Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Traffic Warden wears helmet

The San Pedro Transport Department made a public announcement on November 4, 2010 advising all motorists that it is now mandatory to present a helmet when licensing their motorcycle. Failure to comply with the prerequisite will result in not have the motorcycle inspected and licensed.

Mr. Chris Nu�ez, Chairman of the San Pedro Transport Department, stated that they have been noticing that there have been many accidents involving motor cycles and motorists end up getting hurt. Hence they found the need of enforcing the already existing law.

"By law, any person owning a motor cycle should present a helmet when licensing their motorcycle and use it," commented Nu�ez. "We noticed that many who came to license their motorcycles or renew their licenses presented their helmets and never use them on the road. Most of them do not own a helmet and borrow one just for licensing purposes."

Motorists will be asked to not only present their helmets when licensing their motorcycles but also to show the receipt of purchase of the helmet. All motorists will be given a grace period from now till the end of November of this year then after tickets will be issued to motorists breaking this law.
Ambergris Today

Once again SP Transport dept are selective in which laws they will enforce, and to ask for a receipt for the helmet is a joke, what if the owner has had a helmet for years and lost the receipt, will they have to go and get a declaration from a lawer.
What about the other laws that are ignored here like seatbelts, turn signals, lights, brake lights not to mention tire tread depth and the overloading of vehicles. If the transport dept is going to enforce a law for one group of road users it should enforce all the laws of Belize regarding traffic. I have watched the transport dept checking vehicles for licensing, they should start here, any vehicle that is presented for licensing should have a vehicle road safety inspection before the license is issued, this should be carried out by a mechanic, the areas tested must include,to mention the major areas. Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Chassis, exhaust, Lights, seat belts, horn and tires. If a vehicle fails any of these a license cannot be issued. All the vehicle checks here only check for a light to the front of the vehicle and that it has a working horn but most important to them seems to be that the vehicle has insurance. Average time taken to check the vehicle 5 minutes.
There are so many vehicles on SP roads, and a large number of them would not be allowed on the roads on the mainland. So if the Transport is going to enforce one law they should enforce all traffic laws of Belize.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
B
B
I would be very surprised if the helmet law actually exists. Sitting around a conference table dreaming up new ways to aggravate the public is not lawmaking.

Haha...this cracks me up... What constitutes a helmet as well? They told me a bicycle helmet will work. But that's not going to do anything for protection if I smack my head on the ground at anything past the speed of a rolling start. If it's not a street approved helmet by DOT, Snell, etc it's not worth wearing. I guess that's life in Belize... either way I still love it!

S
S
Speed Limit is still 15 MPH

I have just looked at this act and cannot find anything about "helmets" for motorcycles.
MOTOR VEHICLES AND ROAD TRAFFIC ACT
CHAPTER 230
REVISED EDITION 2000
SHOWING THE LAW AS AT 31ST DECEMBER, 2000

A.C.G.C.
B
B
The way Claudio is wearing that "helmet" it would fall off long before he even hit the ground.

B
B
If it isn't a law, I want my money back! I was ticketed in Cayo last year for no helmet, so at least some of the police think it's a law.

K
K
Why don't they enforce the speed limit first? If they did, there wouldn't be time to worry about the helmets.

Maybe the law was amended, but has not been published yet???

A.C.G.C.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.