Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#393110 11/18/10 02:27 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image] The Toledo District baskets are so unique, be it made from jipijappa, tie-tie or heineken! These trees grow in abundance in our forests; processing them is quite a task! I find many of these local baskets irresistible, I have a growing collection of baskets.

Traditional people made baskets for household use, recreational activity or to make a statement. The trying economic times have fast turned basket making into an income generating activity.

Baskets Galore - Jipi-jappa Basket Competition was created to showcase these wonderful baskets and their creative makers. This event encourages people to create new designs and styles; with an emphasis on making them useful. It rewards and highlights the best baskets and their producers.

Artisans are assisted in marketing their baskets. Money made from the sale of the baskets helps to feed, clothe and educate the children of the Toledo District. Many hours are invested in the making of one basket. Basket making is done in the odd hours of a full day of work by the housewife.

This month will see the launching of our national sale of baskets. Our organization's building people movement and socio-economic outreach, are serving the poor by collecting the top 30 baskets and selling them in Belize City.

We invite all to come to our Jipi-jappa Basket Sale and to buy at least one of these wonderfully unique baskets. You will be helping to lift women out of poverty, one basket at a time.

The Reporter

Marty #393113 11/18/10 02:32 PM
I love these baskets, too. I always buy a bunch to give away as gifts because they not only help the Maya community but they are light and unbreakable in transit. Be sure to keep the little slips of paper in each basket that explains their provenance.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.