Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
I will be staying at Las Terrazas for a week the end of January. I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas on where I can increase my odds of finding some fish. I am going to get a guide a day or two while I am there, but there is nothing like getting up early before anyone else and standing out on the flats all alone..... Anyway, I have learned to do some research whenever I go somewhere new. It took a while for me to find this site and will appreciate any tips, techniques you can offer. Tightlines from Cottonwood, Arizona

S
S
You're in a good spot... Walk north about 1/4 mile from Terrazas and you'll find a nice big flat (just to the north of Journey's End.) Flat is firm enough to wade, though you will occasionally sink in some spots. Pretty much always bonefish tailing there (and the occasional permit in the deeper water/channels.) Time your walk with the incoming tide and perhaps start on the north end of the flat (another 1/4 mile north or so) and work your way back south... doing so, the prevailing wind will be at your back. You'll have lot's of fun. Also pay a visit to either/or El Pescador Resort and the Tres Pescados Fly Shop (in town, just north of Belize Bank.) Talking to the folks at both will give you lot's of invaluable info on where the fish are biting. Enjoy!!!

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you very much for the info. I look forward to a great time. Is there any other spot I should drive/walk/ get a boat to? Any guide recommendation?

Last edited by cottonaz; 12/01/10 11:41 PM.
S
S
..."get a boat to,'" absolutely. Congrejo, Savannah, Long Caye, etc... all depends on what (fish) you're looking for and the weather. The above mentioned El Pescador Resort and Tres Pescados Fly Shop are two of the best places to talk to about guides. A third is GoFish Belize. Info for all is online. Any/all of them will be able to connect you with a GREAT guide that suits your skill level/fishing style. I'd suggest contacting them asap as in the busier months things book up a bit in advance.

El Pescador posts a weekly fishing report on this board and they always include good info on what patterns folks are using that work along with some pics to serve as good motivation.

dito SF Jeff
I'm here right now and can see three from the dock.
Guys wade out and seem to have good luck without a boat but the professional guides with boats can take you to some better flats in the back of the island.
Curl at the front desk of Las Terrazas is the man to see about hooking up with a good guide!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Elbert, I recall seeing more bonefish in one place, than I had ever seen before. I believe it was somewhere up that way, can't recall the specific spot.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all the info. The excitement is building. I think i have a good handle on patterns to make and with the ideas you all gave me, I am feeling pretty good. If ya'll ever make it to arizona and want info, let me know, I can reciprocate with all the info you may need. Tight lines....

Try Manuel Azueta as a guide. [email protected]
011-501-226-2709. Great guide and great equipment. I've fished with him for years.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
Lots of bonefish between Journey's End and Caye Villas.

C
OP Offline
C
I did hook up with Manuel Azueta for 2 days of fishing. I have to admit that I was a bit dubious and only booked one day at first. He is a terrific guide. I went out the first day which had a hard blowing northern coming through and I brought a dozen to hand. Three other boats left from my resort that same day and I think only one other person caught one. I THOUGHT I was good at spotting fish, but next to Manuel, I might as well have been blind. The guy has Lee Major kind of eyesight. He is great at maneuvering the boat, he is patient, and above all, he WORKS the entire time you are with him because he wants you to catch fish and he gets just as excited as you do. I truly can't say enough good things about him and I just wanted to pass along as much praise as I can for him. Also, thanks for all the tips from everyone. I can't wait to get back there. ---Mark

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.