Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
//ambergriscaye.com/art/pdfs/LabourAmendmentBill2010.pdf (4mb download pdf)

The BCCI has just learnt that the Labour Amendment Bill will be tabled for its first reading (see attached) at the House of Representatives tomorrow 17th December. We had received assurances that the Bill will not be tabled this year. However, late this evening we received a copy of the Bill that will be tabled which we are currently analyzing.

One of the blatant inclusions is regarding the Notice Period Requirements on which we had not consulted. The changes are as follows:

Current Law

� 2 weeks to 6 months continuous service - 3 days notice pay required

� 6 months to 1 year continuous service - 1 week notice pay required

� 1 to 2 years continuous service - 2 weeks notice pay required

� More than 2 years continuous service - 4 weeks notice pay required

Amended Law

� 1 day to 6 months continuous service - 1 week notice pay required

� 6 months to 2 years continuous service - 1 month notice pay required

� More than 2 years continuous service - 2 months notice pay required

The severance provisions have been confirmed at 5 to 10 years one week and 10 years and over two weeks, not retroactive and payment for public and bank holidays not including Christmas, Good Friday and Easter Monday is confirmed at 2 � times regular pay rates.

The Chamber continues to review and will provide updates tomorrow. Please ensure that you take the time to read this bill as it will have great impact on all our businesses.

Warmest Regards
Kim Aikman (Mrs.)
Director Member Relations
Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry

S
S
I am going to have to go out and get as many jobs possible and find grounds to be terminated after the first day. Then I'll get to collect a weeks severance. Heck, I could make a career out of this!!!

All kidding aside, this is truly ridiculous. Giving the people who penned this the benefit of the doubt, I imagine their intent was to protect the interests of employees. It does the absolute opposite. Employers will now think twice about hiring anyone inexperienced, young or unproven for any position whatsoever. Why on earth give someone a try if, after a day to determine if the employee will work out, if that answer is NO then you have to pay them a week's wage???

Also 2 MONTHS for having worked two years??? Wow...

-Before this goes to a vote... "Everyone, can I have your attention a moment... you're fired!!!"

Sounds like Pelosi and Reid helped write this.

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 12/18/10 07:44 AM.

Captain One Iron
S
S
This amendment, if passed could/would put Co's out of business.

OR, cause the new average length of employment in Belize to be exactly 5 months and 29 days...

On the fifth month and 29th day:

"Thank you for your services here, we hope you understand this decision was a tough one for us and you are MORE than welcome to reapply for the new position that we have open. Yes, it IS strikingly similar to the old position which you held which, regrettably, was phased out due to our restructuring. What's that? No, it is not the same 'bartender' job that you held for the last 5 months and 29 days.' As we compassionately explained, that position no longer exists. You are a VERY strong candidate however for our new 'bar chef' position. Welcome to the team."

P
P
Or switch all employees to contractors.

Hi Phil - there are certain rules about what makes a "contractor".... not so sure that will work.

Beach Raking Consultants :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
B
B
I understand the rules...I get why they are in place, I do. But, when you catch an employee stealing and STILL HAVE TO PAY THEM "notice pay", it is truely insane. Apparently, unless they are convicted in court, you need to pay them.

I don't get it.

S
S
We have a contract that employees must sign upon being hired, current staff also had to sign when we implemented. We have used it to terminate one employee for theft without any problems from Labour (they were notified immediately in writing of the termination).

As far as the alcohol and drugs go they require a blood test to verify the guilt of the staff member.

A good lawyer would blow holes in it but most people wouldn't bother to hire one. If you go to Labour and let them know what you have planned and why they are usually pretty helpful.

"We have a zero tolerance policy regarding any use of drugs or alcohol consumed during working hours or on company property. We also have a zero tolerance policy for theft or attempted theft of any kind. Any incident of theft will be reported to the police and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

We would like to bring to your attention that the company considers the following to be Acts of Gross Misconduct:

� Theft, fraud, unauthorized possession of company property, deliberate falsification of records or any other form of dishonesty.
� Physical violence or abusive behavior
� Serious bullying or harassment, especially if of a discriminatory nature, for example, of a racist or sexist nature
� Deliberate and serious damage to the employer's property
� Extremely serious insubordination
� Bringing the employer into serious disrepute
� Use of illegal drugs during working hours
� Consumption of alcohol during working hours

Any incident of gross misconduct will result in immediate termination without entitlement to notice or severance payment."

T
T
Does that include politicians,love to write my final paycheck?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 285 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.