Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#395137 12/19/10 08:27 AM
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
This morning...right now some guys are shooting in the lagoon.
Lic plate MO129 is the black motorcycle and I didn't get the tag number of the golf cart. they are hunting pig behind Mata Grande . I'm sure this is in the city limits and a residential area. This isn't legal, and I'm a little concerned with the possibility of shots in the direction of the hotels and residents along the beach.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Last time this happened it was the fellow who works for the town board who killed a mugger on his way home. This man hunts here not infrequently. Yes, it's illegal but what the &^% do we do about that - call the Mayor maybe?

Try calling Forest Department. They would be interested if this is unlicensed hunting.

Their number is 822-1524/2079. If nothing else, after a few reports they may well feel compelled to act. Rasheeda Sampson is the Wildlife Officer and she is very nice.

Last edited by collyk; 12/19/10 09:54 AM. Reason: to add contact details.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

It happens this time every year. San Pedrano's are hunting for Christmas of dinner pig, gibnut and deer. And yes most are licensed with their weapons. Yes it's illegal to hunt with in town limits, which is to North Basil Jones, or private land. But it happens.
This just reminded me that hunters will be up in our area over the next week.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I think it just wonderful if locals feel the need to hunt a little but the island is so small, we have so little wild life of that sort and its in the middle of a tourist spot at the height of the season.
I think these guys are being major inconsiderate and careless for not going to the North part of the island and doing it right behind the Mata Grocery.

White Sands Dive Shop
"the need to hunt a little"?

The "town limits" only extend as a small thin ribbon up along the eastern coast line. And I think the thin strip ends at Rocky Point. The vast majority of the island north of Journey's End is not considered to be part of San Pedro Town.

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
"the need to hunt a little"?

Might sound macho but try and tell an Indian he cant hunt game on his own island and he'll tell you about God given rights and why the hell don't you gringos go back to your own country.So i say, 'The need to hunt a little'.

White Sands Dive Shop
Belizean law states that hunters need a license and there are restrictions on certain species as well as in respect to young or mothers with their young. Unfortunately Belize can no longer sustain subsistence hunting, which is evidenced by the depletion in numbers of white tailed deer and gibnut along with other species commonly hunted. It costs about the same to buy over half a dozen chicks than it does to buy a shotgun cartridge. The new wildlife legislation that is likely to come in very soon and which is designed to protect Belizean wildlife for the future of Belizeans will have many more restrictions in relation to hunting, possessing, selling and trading Belizean wildlife.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Amanda that would mean a heck of a lot of land owners are paying their property tax to the wrong people. Your misinformed. Think about that ,is GBE in San Pedro Town? Is third row Mata Grande in San Pedro Town,How about San Pedro Towns Platinum Coast (west coast) of Ambergris Caye. ...The West coast of Ambergris Caye is definitely in San Pedro Town.
These guys are indisputably shooting fire arms in the Town of San Pedro.

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.