Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Just returned from my first visit to A.C. a few days ago. Had 8 wonderful nights that I will never forget. Came back and told my boss - WHAT?? There are no palm trees in my office. There is not a white sandy beach, where is the beautiful blue water and my mango colada? What kind of a place are you running here? He told me next year that he will bring in a palm tree and some sand and I can wear my bathing suit a couple of days. Guess I better keep my mouth shut!

The AC bug bit me and bit me hard as soon as I arrived. I love that place.

Day 1 and 2 - Long trip from northern California. Good flights, smooth sailing all the way down. Long line at customs at Belize City upon arrival. Another batch arrived the same time as our plane. Proceeded to Jet's bar where I sampled rum punches and Belikin. Becky had come in a few hours before me and Jet told me I had to drink what she did at his bar. So, I missed my flight to San Pedro, but arrived a couple hours later. Hee hee.

Stayed at Mata Rocks. Good, comfortable and great beach bar! Nice beach too. Case of belikin awaiting my arrival in my room. Too cool. This is living. Met up with Becky, Ken and Lynne and British soldiers and the famous Wanker. Many panty rippers later, yes. . we did do cannonballs in several hotel pools. Security guards were laughing at us. Don't remember too much, but found myself standing dripping wet drinking more at BC's somewhere around midnight. Wanker (he is no ordinary dog, does needs dog rehab. He is not local friendly, but he loved us).

Sunday spent at BC's for the BBQ. This is a must, I think. Good mix of people, locals, ex-pats and fun tourists. Charlene is a sweetheart. She even knew who we all were from this board! The food was great and the people were even better. Great place to hang. Drank the famous Choo Choo "tidy bowl" drink. Smooth, real smooth, then headed to Palapa where we spent the afternoon listening to music and you got it, more partying! Such fun. Drove away on the back of Becky's golf cart dancing to the delight of the locals!

At some point, Becky and I ended up on a beautiful chartered yacht in front of the yacht club checking out how the other half lives! What a boat.

Dinner at Jambel Jerk. Had the jerk shrimp. Out of this world delicious!! Serenaded by reggae music on the roof by the light of the full moon. Followed by more panty rippers and belikins.

Day 3 and 4: Estelle's for breakfast is also great. Digging your tired dogs in the sand while hung over and eating a good breakfast, staring at the beautiful ocean. Shopped a little, lied in sun, swam, read.

Had dinner with some people at La Margarita. I think it was Marty who raved about their margaritas. Best I had there and delicious food.

Next day, ready for the tourist thing. Lamanai was the best. Daniel from Tanisha Tours is a great guide, so knowledgeable about the area, wildlife and yes, easy on the eyes! Several of us from this board did the tour together. Saw monkeys, baby alligators, huge alligators and the ruins were something else. Antonio was our guide. His family owns restaurant in Orangewalk and prepared the meal. Delicious. Am definitely going to try to make the cucumber, radishes and cilantro. What a treat!

Becky swinging on vine in the jungle. Watch out for that tree! Bought a wood carved mask in Bomba Village from a woman who told me she would carve Bomba, Belize on the back of it. She was waiting for me at the end of the day with it. Such a sweetheart! The kids were so cute. The ride back at full speed through the mangroves was awesome! Found out the man sitting next to me on the boat and his wife lived a couple of miles from me. Here we are out in the middle of the Belizean jungle. What a trip. It is a small world.

Day 5: Shark Ray Alley here we come. Also Hol Chan. Good snorkeling. Saw three nurse sharks once I dived in water and swam the other way. Not a big shark fan. Oh heck, I swim with the sharks every weekday.

Go to Sweet Basil to eat. It is soooo good. Had the cheese and fruit plate with a couple glasses of Pinot Noir. So relaxing. Missed the chicken drop, but met Hope, Dan and children, Bill Thornton (I am envious, Bill) and many other colorful characters that night. Danced with the locals at Holiday Hotel to a great two man band. Such fun, but sore the next day! The carne asada burritos at the street vendors are the kind! Two for $3. The best I ever had.

Day 6: Becky is right. Barefoot Skinny is great. Bought his CD and plan on playing it this weekend and sipping the one Belikin I brought home! His wife, Elisabeth, designs jewelry at the store right in Fido's. I loved everything in there and bought several pieces. So talented.

Treated myself to trip to Capricorn for lunch. The grounds alone are worth the trip. Lovely place - had it all to myself for lunch. I was in heaven while eating the pasta in garlic oil and shrimp. Wow, wow oh wow. Checked out some of the resorts up north. Very nice and quiet.

Since I was on a "see food, eat it diet" while down there, I stopped at Ruby's for some caramel cake. Oh God, to die for!

Day 7: Tropical Take Out, recommended by Sandshaker for breakfast. Great fresh OJ. Hang out day, trying to dry out a little. Papi's for dinner. Papi made me so happy. Red snapper with fresh veggies on top. What a man. Told him he was famous on the world wide web.

Day 8: My new friend Becky was leaving today. It was sad for Wanker, but he handled it and is anxiously awaiting her return. I wondered around and just did whatever I wanted to do, but found myself back at Papi's with Ken and Lynne for dinner. People, go eat there!

THANKS to Ken, Lynne (love your laugh Ken and Lynne is just great. I know your pics are your retirement income!), Becky (she is no ordinary woman), Rich (you are lots of fun, good luck at your new job), Mikki (she is a kick), Lisa, my friend Russell at Fido's, the British soldiers, D.C., the fun folks at my hotel and even Paisano. . . and of course Wanker (he is no ordinary dog) and everybody else for the time of my life! As Becky said in her trip post, my face still hurts from laughing and smiling. What a great group of people.

There is magic in San Pedro Town. I am hooked, line and sinker. I definitely left a piece of my heart there and will be back!!!!

Laurie

M
M
Laurie! Reading your passionate report makes this darn waiting for paradise even harder. 21 more days!!!!!!

Great report Laurie, you were a joy to hang around, your outlook on life is very contagious. What a doll you are and thanks for making my trip an enjoyable one.

Wonderful report, Laurie. It makes me miss you and the others, and especially AC. You were such fun to party with, and we only talked about law for maybe 5 seconds! You know something--I am going back, also, and I mean before our May reunion!
Richard

B
B
I appreciate your report and get a vicarious thrill from your escapades. Thanks for the post:-]

My Turn!!!! My Turn!!!! Three weeks.
Imarquis, your report was wonderful. Well written and very "colorful". I'm happy that you had such a good time.
Debbie

A
A
Laurie,

THanks for sharing your memories, you sound completely renewed by your experience. People look at me weird when I say it was "more than a vacation", but somehow it becomes that.

One late afternoon myself and about 4 new friends wound up at the pier at Paradise with three bottles of coconut rum and pineapple juice. We proceeded to get completely hammered and dive off that pier with the locals kids (apparently this is the best pier for swimming according to the kids who were cracking up laughing at us). Walked back to the hotel for nappy nap time, to prepare for a night of debauchery and laughed and sang the whole way home. These were strangers of various ages who felt like lifelong friends, and it was so nice. Billy the Canadian Scottsman could tell a wicked joke, with an adorable accent!

I have been mixing my version of the panty ripper lately; I don't even do it to get buzzed, just to remind me of that happy carefree feeling I had with some extraordinary people in Belize.

Thanks for sharing your happy thoughts and bringing me back to my own happy island place in my mind.

L
OP Offline
L
Isn't it great! I just love it.

K
K
Great report Laurie, colorful but yet discreet. hee hee (that's ken's laugh)
Got my retirement plan back from photo shop today!! OH MIKKI-let's barter!
Hey gang have one Belikin left here, you guys want to come over this weekend????

C
C
Where in northern Cal are you from? We are in Roseville, Ca. and will be in AC in July. I'm so excited, I'm looking more forward to this trip than any other we have been on. You did a really nice job on your report. Cherie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.