Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
I too called the town board this morning and was told to talk to the Deputy Mayor - so I did. He said they gave TAXI's the right to cross the bridge on a twe week trial basis. I asked why those of us who live up here were not at least notified of this. "Oh, we will notify you when the two week trial period is over!"
They just don't get what is meant by transparency!!!
He went on to proudly say that now tht the road is fixed everyone should be able to travel north.
AGAIN - I sked about talking to at leas the neighborhood watch. "Oh we will! But right now I am going into a meeting with the minister about this plan."
I said if you are going to allow traffic up here you are going to have to monitor it - they are treating this like a race way. "Oh, we will."

HA HA HA HA HA - the jokes on us! As someone else said - NO MORE TOLL CHARGES! Almost make Caye Caulker look good. OR maybe we can even move our to Long Caye in Lighthouse Atoll. LOL

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Bywarren is right - we all thrive on tourism, we all promote tourism and we must all learn to manage the "progress" and development that goes hand in hand with a growing and thriving industry.

I can understand the reasons why residents north of the bridge would not like vehicular traffic in their area, but there can be benefits too. As SFJeff said, it is more economical to have deliveries made by road. You might even have a chance to have the fire truck show up in an emergency.

Of course the other side of the coin is the fact that it makes it easier for the criminal element to target your area, and for inconsiderate drivers to disturb your peace and tranquility.

Traffic on this island is a necessary evil. Of course I wish we could stem the types of vehicles that we operate, and I wish drivers would be considerate (no speeding, no drinking and driving, fix mufflers etc) but human nature will prevent that wish from coming true.

It might be wise to start figuring out where the pedestrian crossings should be, the go slow zones and the stop sign placement etc.

This is a good thing. Soon all of the taxis won't have any suspension left after traveling north for a month. Then they will all go out of business, in and out of town. Broken Toyota vans will litter the island roadsides. That will make golf cart travel much safer.

After the next big rainfall no one will be driving that way in a taxi.

Maybe I could make a fortune in the tow truck biz up north now??? hmmm....

wink

Next thing you know someone will want to start sky diving up north....Wait..thats already happened!

Reality..What a concept!
S
SFJeff Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So will the Town Board now give residents/businesses up north permits to drive south to town??? I mean it's a two way street after all (pun intended.)

I mean I'd love to send my staff home at night in the comfort of a vehicle that costs 1/4 what running a boat costs...

U
U
I'd like to see taxis charged a few extra dollars Tax to cross the bridge north, which can be turned over to the consumer with a higher fare, and use the money for upkeep on the road plus take care of the things that Amanda mentioned above (crosswalks, etc.) The higher taxi fares will still be way less then the island ferry, so I don't think people would complain too much.

D
D
Is there still a charge for golf carts to cross the bridge? We own a condo north of town and I'm trying to decide what this will mean for our preferred method of traveling back and forth to town. The increased traffic might make me feel a little safer going by water taxi than on the new, improved road by bike or golf cart.

Yes, $5.00 each way.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
D
D
Thanks. I just thought it might change (higher or lower) for golf carts if taxis could now cross the bridge. It makes me a little sad, but that's just because I'm selfish. I'm probably one of the few who loves the rough little road.

Happiest of holidays to everyone!

Harriet, if I were you I'd replace the ropes in front of your place with logs. Maybe a few well placed land mines would work also.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.