Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

Earlier this year El Pescador Lodge in North Ambergris Caye hosted the filming of "Buccaneers and Bones" starring Michael Keaton actor/director, Tom Brokaw news anchor of NBC among others. The outdoor adventure was filmed on Ambergris Caye by Orion Multimedia, the world's largest producer of outdoor adventure television, and will air on December 31, 2010.

Orion Multimedia was particularly interested in filming in Belize due to the newly legislated "catch and release" law. El Pescador's involvement with Bonefish and Tarpon Trust regarding bonefish tagging, as well as the research Green Reef is doing regarding sport fish habitat and trying to protect critical areas from development, made the lodge a natural partner.

During their stay on Ambergris Caye, Alonzo Flota, from Under da Sea, took them for a memorable snorkeling trip to Hol Chan Marine Reserve. They returned raving about the beauty of the Barrier Reef and abundance of the marine life.

Click here for the rest of the story and more photos...

About Buccaneers and Bones the show:
Seven Anglers. Seven Days. A Lifetime of Memories
See what happens when a legendary anchor, famous actor, television star, acclaimed author, visionary industry leader, Bonefish & Tarpon Trust board member and the co-founder of Reel Women all share an island for one week. Tom Brokaw, Michael Keaton, Yvon Chouinard, Thomas McGuane, Zach Gilford, Bill Klyn and Lori-Ann Murphy cast off from San Pedro Island in Belize in pursuit of 3 legendary species: bonefish, tarpon and permit.

Buccaneers and Bones is presented in partnership with the Bonefish & Tarpon Trust and features a collection of luminary anglers including Tom Brokaw, Michael Keaton, Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard and acclaimed photographer R. Valentine Atkinson.
The series will be narrated by Brokaw and will explore the wonders of bone fishing through the eyes of this all-star cast who have each devoted a significant part of their lives to conservation causes. The series also will reveal some of the latest research funded by BTT and other organizations - information that will both help anglers catch more fish and better save the fragile coastal habitats.

Along the way, viewers will be activated to do their part to preserve these species so that future generations can experience all that these great game fish have to offer.

Click here for a look at the upcoming show.

What time and what channel will we be able to view it?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Harriette
Looks like its on the Outdoor Channel
Buccaneers and Bones air schedule - first episode will air on the Outdoor Channel on Friday, December 31st . It airs Friday at 6 AM, 7 PM, and 1 AM, Saturday at 2 PM, and Sunday at 8:30 AM. New episodes run every weekend for seven weeks at the same airtimes

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
Thanks for the times - what channel number is that? I guess I'm kinda dumb about these things.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Lifestyles of the fish and famous

On a recent chilly morning, complete with a biting north wind, Pine Island resident Aaron Adams wasn't having a good fishing day in Pine Island Sound - in two hours, he caught two spotted sea trout.

Six months before, the Mote Marine Laboratory senior scientist and director of operations for Bonefish & Tarpon Trust, had better luck in more comfortable conditions: He was catching bonefish and tarpon in Belize, the Keys and Lee County for a seven-part television fishing series that will premiere Friday on the Outdoor Channel.

"Buccaneers & Bones" is a different kind of fishing show.

One difference is a roster of very serious fly fishermen: TV journalist Tom Brokaw, actors Michael Keaton and Zach Gilford, author Thomas McGuane, fly-fishing guide Lori-Ann Murphy, Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia outdoor clothing, and Patagonia marketing director Bill Klyn.

While the program's focus is fly fishing for bonefish and tarpon, "Buccaneers & Bones" is more than a bunch of people catching a bunch of fish.

"I don't watch fishing shows, but I'd watch this one," Adams said. "It's not just about fishing. It's about what's needed to keep the fish around and make sure we'll have these fisheries in 30, 40, 50 years.

"So it's a fishing show with great fishing footage and a conservation message - it's amazing how few fishing shows talk about fishing in a responsible manner."

Among the footage shot in Lee County is a segment of Adams catching a tarpon just off the beach of Gasparilla Island.

Earlier this year, many of the same fishermen, including Adams, appeared in the ESPN series "Pirates of the Flats," shot in the Bahamas; "Pirates" and "Buccaneers" were the brainchildren of Klyn and Chris Dorsey, board members of Key West-based Bonefish & Tarpon Trust, which finances and conducts research on bonefish, tarpon and permit.

As the trust's director of operations, Adams was asked to participate in both series.

With such an assortment of rich and famous fishermen, ego trips could easily have become an issue.

"There were no egos whatsoever, no tantrums," Adams said. "They were all easy to work with, and they were very dedicated to the reasons for the show. They all also wanted to do some really good fishing.

"I don't think we would have had the same result if we had Lady Gaga on board."

Asked about the two actors, Adams said:

"Keaton is pretty funny. He's always going, that's for sure. I'd say he's pretty high-energy.

"Zach is great to fish with. He's interested in learning and getting better at fly fishing. He took the usual on-boat heckling pretty well."

As much fun as it might sound, shooting "Buccaneers & Bones" could be grueling, with fishermen and camera crews on the water sometimes from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m.

"It was pretty intense," Adams said. "We stayed out there as long as we needed to. In that tropical heat, it's not easy. These guys are all pros, so they stuck it out. I was pretty tired at the end. The days all mix into one."

As to his own shot at TV fame, Adams said he prefers anonymity.

"One time, the FedEx guy was delivering a package, and he said, 'Hey, you're on that ESPN show' - that's not good," Adams said. "I don't understand the whole celebrity thing. It kind of creeps me out."

TO WATCH
The first episode of "Buccaneers & Bones" will be on at 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. Friday, 1 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday and at 8:30 a.m. Sunday on the Outdoor Channel.

Each week for the following six weeks, a new episode will be featured at the same times.

Buccaneers & Bones trailer
http://tarbone.org/media-room.html

QUOTE FROM BUCCANEERS & BONES:
� Michael Keaton:
"To me, the future is worrisome. I just don't think people are really taking it seriously enough. And I think that people are just now starting to realize that you don't equate environmentalism with elitism, or us against them. It's blatantly obvious that everything needs protection.''

Zach Gilford:
"There's so many reasons these fish are important to protect. Tarpon have been around for 50 million years. Since the dinosaurs. They're basically swimming dinosaurs. I can't see anyone who that wouldn't resonate with.''

Tom Brokaw:
"When it comes to the ecosystem, and you take a creature like tarpon, you don't want to be the generation that turns out the lights after 50 million years. We don't know a lot about tarpon, we're still finding out more every day. The fact is, it fits in the maritime ecosystem, and the whole ecology, and we need to know about how it fits in and why it's there. My own judgment is that it's a very noble creature.''

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.