Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Government Suspend Relations with Channel 5 [Re: Marty] #395475
12/24/10 09:29 AM
12/24/10 09:29 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

GOB: Cabinet Will Review Channel 5 Position

Government said it was suspending normal relations with Channel 5 two weeks ago - but last week, the Prime Minister indicated that might be a softening of that hardline when he invited the Caribbean Broadcasting Union to mediate.

Things moved on from there and no mediator was necessary when Prime Minister Dean Barrow met with Channel 5's CEO, Amalia Mai in the government's suite at the Whitfield Tower on Coney Drive today.

And meaningful progress towards a resolution was made. Channel 5 has agreed to air Belmopan Weekly and the Prime Minister will take the matter back to Cabinet when it re-convenes next month. At that time a decision will be made on whether to restore normal relations with Channel 5….

PM Dean Barrow
"Let me just say that it was a very useful, very constructive, very cordial meeting. I have agreed on the basis of the discussion we had and on the basis of the CEO's Mai assurances to me. I have undertaken to at the first cabinet meeting in the New Year - which takes place on the Tuesday of the first working week - to ask cabinet to agree to the resumption of normal relations with Channel 5. I will take the position at that meeting that this should be done. I only don't say that we can do it immediately because I do have to get the support of cabinet."

Prime Minister Barrow said that the meeting was a constructive one and both sides have agreed to move forward without casting blame and made a commitment to operate on the basis of mutual respect.

Channel 7

Re: Government Suspend Relations with Channel 5 [Re: Marty] #396288
01/04/11 09:06 AM
01/04/11 09:06 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

The final day of GOB’s ban on Channel Five

On December seventh, government imposed an unprecedented ban on this station. Two weeks later, after discussions, Prime Minister Dean Barrow indicated that at the first meeting of Cabinet for this year, which is on Tuesday, he will prevail on the wisdom of his colleagues to remove the suspension of normal relations. We’re counting down and we hope that in our next newscast, we will be able to get both sides of stories involving the government and that we will be able to talk to ministers and public officers. Just in case you missed it, this is what the prime minister had to say on December twenty-third.

Dean Barrow (File: December 24, 2010)

dean barrow

“I have agreed on the basis of the discussion we had and on the basis of the CEO Mai’s assurances to me. I have undertaken to, at the first cabinet meeting in the New Year, which takes place on the Tuesday of the first working week, ask cabinet to agree to the resumption of normal relations with Channel Five. I will take the position at that meeting that this should be done. I only don’t say that we can do it immediately because I do have to get the support of cabinet. But you will see from what I’ve said that it was a very, very constructive meeting indeed.”

Jose Sanchez

“Regarding the government program, will it be aired on Channel Five?”

Dean Barrow

“Which government program?”

Jose Sanchez

“The weekly program was mentioned in the previous release?”

Dean Barrow

“Yes, indeed. The CEO has made it clear that that is not a problem.”

Jose Sanchez

“Was there anything that was proven to be wrong within the previous relations?”

Dean Barrow

“Well, Miss Mai is, as you know, a very accomplished diplomat and Miss Mai would not in a normal course concede any fault. And I don’t think we want to belabor that particular issue. Let us just say that while we also insisted that we thought, or we saw fault, we have agreed to move on. And there is a commitment on both sides to operate on a basis of mutual respect and on the basis of fair and balance coverage on the part of Channel Five which is indicating that it is not going to do anything to compromise its position that it is a professional operation, a professional outfit that will be guided by a commitment to the canons of the journalism profession. So, I am happy with that and as I said, I am perfect to recommend to cabinet, that we resume normal relations.”

All be told, we look forward to the resumption of relations to continue providing you with our award-winning newscasts and other local programming.

Channel 5

Re: Government Suspend Relations with Channel 5 [Re: Marty] #396378
01/05/11 09:38 AM
01/05/11 09:38 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Offline OP

Marty  Offline OP

GOB And Channel 5, Just Like Starting Over

After the Prime Minister met with Channel 5 CEO Amalia Mai on December 23rd and made nice with her - it was just a matter of time before government rolled back its blockade against the Ashcroft Allied station.

And that's just what cabinet did today. A short, sheepish release says, quote: "Cabinet has agreed to lift the ban and reinstate normal relations with Great Channel 5 on the commitment of Channel 5 to be visibly fair and impartial."

We don't know who's the judge of visibly fair and impartial coverage, but we do know that it took only 28 words to dissolve the blockade that had been declared on December 7th in a 490 word release…

Channel 7

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 182 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics73,646
Posts486,478
Members19,808
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.