Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#396716 01/08/11 10:44 AM
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Does anyone have a PayPal account that is linked to a Belize bank? I would like to get paid and make payments online but have used my sock drawer as a bank for so long I don't know how to use the service or if I can have it from a Belize foinancial institute. I don't even have a credit card, lol. If you have a business and accept and make payments to a Belize bank via PayPal can you drop me a PM and I'll give you a call please?

P
P
I think you can pay with PayPal but not receive in Belize. Ask Marie when you're in Gecko next as she's been doing a lot of stuff on this lately and is up to speed.

C
C
You can not have a PayPal account in Belize they do not recognize it. I have one through a bank in the States and a debit card to withdraw the funds.

L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks guys, I'll talk to Marie at Gecko and expect to have to do something else or get a Canadian account.

P
P
CayeMarie - you definately are allowed to have PayPal Acount in Belize and can send money via it.

S
S
I have a PayPal account that gets charged to my Belize Bank Visa card. No problems using it so far...

You can have a Belize PayPal account to send money out of Belize but it needs to be linked to a credit card and not a bank account as we do not have ABA routing/sort codes. But you cannot receive money to it - even as a credit on the credit card. Although as the saying goes "where there is a will, there is a way", so if you really want to go down this route stop by.

I think a better alternative is AlertPay. They are truly international, so you can have a Belize account with them, and use your credit card to fund and receive payments. You also have the option of them sending you a cheque if you do not have a credit card. There is still no direct link to a Belize bank account because of the no international code problem, but at least you can receive payments from people paying by credit card and easily get the money to Belize. For more info use this link - http://shop-4.it/euWToV

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
L
lil'red Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Gecko_Girl thank you so much. I think Alert Pay is just what I am looking for. I would spring for lunch somewhere with wireless access if you could give me a brief introduction?

No problem - Any day but Tuesday or Thursday, just give me a call. I don't think the shop-4-it link is working properly at the moment but this goes to the same page http://bit.ly/euWToV

Oh and they are also just about to introduce a virtual credit card, which means you can receive the funds into your account with them, and then shop online with your virtual card without having to move the money around. Much easier and safer than giving out your real credit card info.

Last edited by gecko_girl; 01/14/11 11:13 AM. Reason: info on virtual card

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
Hi folks, and thank you Gecko_girl for answering this question.

Unfortunately I am still at a loss as to how to electronically transfer money to Belize so that someone there can actually get access to cash. Please allow me to explain my scenario, and I will really appreciate your advice from you based on your no doubt great local knowledge about such issues.

I am a co-founder of Arribaa.com which is a global community marketplace where adventurous travelers discover and book unique experiences offered by interesting locals. We have a personal connection to an exceptional Belizian man in Toledo district from our travels there last year. We would love to give him the opportunity to become a Local Experience Host on our website and receive bookings from tourists heading to his local region looking to be hosted/guided by him.

Our business is based in Australia and we currently receive bookings and full up-front booking payments via PayPal. We would like to be able to send money to our Belizian local host directly but also allow him to use this money as cash. While he would be able to open a PayPal account and receive funds, it is my understanding that at this time there is no actual way to turn that money into Belizian cash. In other words, he can only spend that money online...which for most local purchases is totally useless to him. Especially since his family is not well off and the money would be used for everyday purchases like food, clothes, and etc.

I know that there are other options available, but nothing short of a $20 AUD Bank Wire Transfer for any amount of money. This defeats the purpose of what we are doing.

Are there any good or viable options for sending electronic funds that can be received by a Belizian local and withdrawn as cash?

Thanks so much for your time. Wishing you all the best, love and warmth for all you lovely people in Ambergis Caye! Love from Australia and thanks for running this forum.

Vinko

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.