Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: SP Daily] #394653
12/12/10 11:21 AM
12/12/10 11:21 AM
San Antonio TX and Seine Bight...
ckocian Offline
ckocian  Offline
Here's a film effort with some merit:

"Birth of a New Consciousness" (Alumbramiento de una Nueva Consciencia), a documentary film about the health care rights of indigenous and mestiza women living in the Patzcuaro area, will have its Michoacan premier this Wednesday, December 15th at 4pm at Yolihuani Posada, Calle Dr. Cos No. 40, Patzcuaro (where the Friday organic market is located). The film is 48 minutes long, in Spanish with English subtitles, and was recently shown at a conference in Puebla and a Chicago-area film festival. The film will be followed by a wine reception and discussion with the directors, Richard Ferguson and Ondine Rosenthal.

Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Sally1] #394835
12/14/10 09:14 PM
12/14/10 09:14 PM
C
cracked up Offline
cracked up  Offline
C
Trip is done every day by many different types of people, different modes of transport. The roads are good, travel during the day, mind their own business, show respect, don't act like 22-yr-old college kids, don't speed!. Most of the trip will probably actually be rather boring. I don't think that it would make much of an "Adventure Documentary". They will have fun though and they will have a life time of good memories.

Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Sally1] #394914
12/15/10 09:50 PM
12/15/10 09:50 PM
Asheville, NC USA
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Lan Sluder/Belize First  Offline
This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen on this forum in years.

Mexico is one of the world's great democracies, with a population of more than 100 million people. It's the 15th largest country in the world, with nearly 8 million square miles of land area. It's a diverse country with tens of thousands of small villages, thousands of towns, hundreds of cities and at least one city larger than any in the USA.

Sure, there are crime and drug problems in some areas of the country, especially near the U.S. border, but the vast, vast, vast majority of places in Mexico are just as they have been for decades or even centuries -- safe, friendly and without untoward events.

At least a million U.S. citizens live or are retired in Mexico right now, safely and with no problems. As noted, millions of Mexicans and thousands of visitors move about Mexico freely every day with no problems.

Get a grip, people!

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Sally1] #394932
12/16/10 11:48 AM
12/16/10 11:48 AM
Frigin Cold Columbus, Ohio
Otteralum Offline
Otteralum  Offline
Thanks Lan - I was thinking the same thing but don't have near the travel experience to speak definitively. Last I drove any significant amount in Mexico was a decade ago.

What about Guat these days?

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Lan Sluder/Belize First] #394995
12/17/10 09:20 AM
12/17/10 09:20 AM
Downers Grove, Illinois
S
Sally1 Offline OP
Sally1  Offline OP
S
Thanks Lan. I was getting that impression from a lot of the pm's sent. I think the boys are off and running.

Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Sally1] #395891
12/29/10 06:47 PM
12/29/10 06:47 PM
Coeur d'Alene Idaho, USA
champion Offline
champion  Offline
Any update on the voyagers?

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: champion] #395916
12/30/10 10:09 AM
12/30/10 10:09 AM
Downers Grove, Illinois
S
Sally1 Offline OP
Sally1  Offline OP
S
Well, our friends' son, flew home from Phoenix on the 23rd. Mom played the "It will be Grandpa's last Christmas" card, which sadly is true due to stage 4 cancer. Also, the son didn't have his passport since his parents snitched it from him some time ago and he didn't know that until late in the game.

I am finding it hard to follow the trip online. They must be well into Mexico by now. Interesting how the movie is now about "family" too. Bottom line, mama bears do whatever it takes to keep the youngins' safe from real or perceived danger.

Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Sally1] #396837
01/09/11 01:27 PM
01/09/11 01:27 PM
california
C
Calirn Offline
Calirn  Offline
C
So let me get this right, sally. You, the mom, stole your adult son's passport so he wouldn't go on a trip that you think is unsafe? If that is indeed what you've done, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't speak to you for awhile. I am a "momma bear" too. But when my child has reached adulthood, it is my opinion that I have guided them throughout their childhood, and hopefully, I have guided them into a responsible state of mind. I find what you did sneaky and dishonest. Next time, he won't communicate with you what his plans are.

Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Calirn] #396922
01/10/11 11:24 AM
01/10/11 11:24 AM
Coeur d'Alene Idaho, USA
champion Offline
champion  Offline
Originally Posted by Calirn
So let me get this right, sally. You, the mom, stole your adult son's passport so he wouldn't go on a trip that you think is unsafe? If that is indeed what you've done, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't speak to you for awhile. I am a "momma bear" too. But when my child has reached adulthood, it is my opinion that I have guided them throughout their childhood, and hopefully, I have guided them into a responsible state of mind. I find what you did sneaky and dishonest. Next time, he won't communicate with you what his plans are.

Where do you read that Sally is the mom? Tsk tsk

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Re: How safe is a road trip thru Mexico/Costa Rica? [Re: Calirn] #396932
01/10/11 12:44 PM
01/10/11 12:44 PM
Downers Grove, Illinois
S
Sally1 Offline OP
Sally1  Offline OP
S
I am totally not the mom. It's funny but I am the adventurous one in our family and my kids are SO conservative.

This does raise an interesting question though- what would YOU do if you were in that position? My gut reaction was to let my child go.... but then you picture a worst case situation and you might change your mind. As long as your child is safe and in one piece, I guess you can live with him not talking to you for awhile. That's what his parents thought at the time, and I see where they're coming from.

I still don't have a trip update either. I'll have to check that out. It's such a sore topic with the parents, I can't even show an ounce of interest in the trip.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,541
Posts491,246
Members19,985
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.