From Belize Bank....
It has been brought to our attention that ATM fraud has been identified at our neighboring countries of Mexico and Guatemala. We know that our cardholders frequently visit these countries, in particular Chetumal, and we therefore strongly urge that you be vigilant when using your credit card at ATMs as both your card and PIN can be compromised.
Using your credit or debit card at an ATM is a convenient and safe way to get cash, but we want to ensure that you do it the smart way.
Tips to Prevent Fraud
• Observe your surroundings before using an ATM. If the machine is obstructed from view or poorly lit, visit another ATM.
• Avoid spending a long time counting cash or rummaging through personal items while standing at the ATM.
• Memorize your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Never write the PIN down on anything in your wallet or on the card itself.
• As you key in your PIN, cover the keyboard with the other hand to block anyone or a camera from recording your PIN.
• Don’t use ATMs with unusual signage or instructions, such as a command to enter your PIN twice to complete a transaction.
• Use ATMs with which you’re familiar. We recommend using the ATMs at a bank branch in these countries.
• When using an indoor ATM that requires your card for access, avoid letting unknown people in with you.
• Have your card out and ready to use.
• Take a friend with you - especially at night.
• Report lost or stolen cards immediately, and sign your new or replacement card as soon as you receive it.
• Remember that you can use your card to pay at merchants instead of running the risk of withdrawing cash at an ATM.
If you are suspicious about any ATM, please contact any of your Belize Bank branches or call us directly at the Card Service Center at 227- 7132 ext 334, 302 or 193.