Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Meeting turns sour after fishermen object and complain about the new changes projected to the Old Football Field and Lagoon Area in downtown San Pedro are presented to them at a consultation meeting on Friday, January 14, 2011. Story at www.ambergristoday.com

A good place for Roberts Rules of Order, as a start.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
S
S
Guess it's time for Spanish lessons....

S
S
We don't need no stinkin' rules!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=79X_5jFFvvY&vq=medium#t=26
I learned some of those words from the guides and try not to repeat them in polite company.
Elsa I'm shocked.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
This project is just the tip of the berg. Those mangroves have protected san pedro from hurricanes since the beginning.
http://peanutcaye.blogspot.com/2010/11/mangroves-that-protect-san-pedro-town.html
need a map?
http://peanutcaye.blogspot.com/2010/11/mangrovers-behind-san-pedro-town-aka.html

Last edited by elbert; 01/17/11 08:25 PM.

White Sands Dive Shop
M
M
These issues affect the whole town not just the fisherman. Why are we not being allowed to say what we think? These moneys would be much better spent on streets and sewage collection and treatment. I have spoken to no one in favor of the project although some must be, I guess. Why can't we hash all this out in public meetings? Well if we did the elected officials would have little excuse to ignore our voice, better to just not let us speak then they don't have to ignore us.
This whole business of favoritism must end. We can allow no more mangrove destruction. The price we will pay if we continue will be much higher than most realize. It is the mangroves that hold the island together, nothing else.

translation transcript por favor

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Angry shouting people talking over one another makes it hard to transcribe but The fisherman are upset about the project proposal to build a boardwalk in the back at the location of the football field that involves dredging and chopping mangroves, The mayor is saying no one wanted Hol Chan marine Reserve either and now look at how we depend on it.. the fisherman say where will we keep out boats and what about the mangroves and the Tarpon.
Seashell some where is a plan drawing that ran in the newspaper a few weeks back, i wish i could find it on the net.
Its to enhance the river in the back of town with board walk, sea wall and deeper channel of course the river has two sides and the value of the real estate (mangrove) on it opposite bank will go up by millions and guess who as dubiously acquired it?

White Sands Dive Shop
M
M
Thats crazy talk comparing Hol Chan to the football field/boardwalk project that we MUST have. As I recall it was just recently we spent big money on the seawall back there. I remember when we HAD to have a new pier in front of town. Of course just a few years later we change plans, That was millions as I recall between the two projects.

We MUST prioritize the needs of San Pedro and try accomplish each and not wander off from our path until our needs are met, I think the boardwalk project and North Ambergris road are lower priority than streets and sewers, 24 medical attention and adequate police staff to assure our town stays safe and peaceful as it is now.

Another very alarming aspect of this project is the shop locations that are to be included. Certainly the Town Board is not currently equipped to maintain or manage the units. One can only believe that the tenants will be selected by central government and pay rents to them. It will always be a political issue, who gets these shops, maintenance, etc..

Concerning mangrove destruction, it is against the law as are vehicles up north and it is a sad day for Belize and San Pedro when the elected officials believe that they should be able to ignore or change the law to suit their purposes. Until we actually take them to court to make them adhere to the law we will continue to be abused.

We the people are supposed to be governing ourselves through our elected representatives. When the elected representatives do not respond to the wishes of those they purport to represent there is often an unseen part of the picture. Rest assured this project is good for someone but probably very low priority for San Pedro.

It is my understanding that this is a loan that must be repaid. If that is the case I must say not only no but hell no.

All municipal and commercial projects should be on hold until we have an AGREED UPON master plan. This helter skelter type of development with everyone for himself is detracting from our environment and natural beauty which brings our guests here as well as proving itself unsustainable.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.