Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#397864 01/20/11 10:21 AM
J
JRobert Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Retiring to San Pedro this year...what are the approx. annual costs of insuring a Golf Cart / Skooter / Boat, plus necessary permits ?

Suggest you contact insurance carriers for quotes - they seem to change over time.
Generally speaking -
Golf cart insurance is very cheap ($100 or so a year for our clunker). Would assume scooter is similarly inexpensive.

Boat insurance - I think it's around 2% of the value insured.

Boat license fee is around $100 a year.

Annual golf cart fee - inexpensive.

Permits to bring a land-vehicle to the island are not so easy to get - suggest you look for something already here.

I just brought to the island a motorcycle and it was about a months worth of visiting the town board waiting for a committee to decide whether meet or not meet with 7 pages of application, three stickers, insurance and a plate. Total cost aprox.700.bz + 150 barge fee.
Photo of where you plan to park it at home and another of where I park it at work was about the most ridiculous...no thats not true the sticker that no one could explain was the most ridiculous.
I ask the lady what is this for and she said, "To stick on your motor cycle!"
Be patient and keep a good sense of humor!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
J
JRobert Offline OP
OP Offline
J
expect to have QRP status at the time of our move...
thanks much for the reply

R
ron Offline
R
Although the QRP allows a vehicle to come duty free, the permit for either SP or CC is locally controlled. Both places are hard to get permission for a vehicle to land. Even temporarily having a vehicle on the cayes is hard to get.

Take it from me that QRP means absolutely nothing to the locals on AC. I know as it cost me about $10,000 USD. Don't believe anything anyone tells you either. Just put your head down and jump through all their hoops and there is a chance you will get a permit. The last time when I renewed I was questioned about the aluminum box on the back of my Ranger and some mumblings about the permit not being renewed because of it. It is simply disgraceful.

Oh and I bought some lights for the soccer field as per one of the local politicians as that was supposed to help the permitting process - It DIDN'T!

Captain One Iron
P
P
Three classes of insurance for private homes:

1 all concrete/block, walls and floor slabs
2 concrete slab and pilings (if raised) with timber framing.
3 all timber.

Cost per $1k insured on the Cayes:

1 $12 per
2 $20 per
3.$31 per - many won't insure this type at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.