Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#398292 01/23/11 10:45 PM
W
wilske Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We went out fishing earlier in the week. It was alot of fun, and the guys caught two very large barracuda's(25 & 50lbs) and we caught a couple of snappers too. We asked if it was ok to eat and were told that it wasn't a problem and would taste great. Cooked the first batch up and although it wasn't my favourite fish it was good. Talked to a local chef today and was told us about Ciguatera (a disease you can get from eating the barracuda). I've been surfing since and and understand that it isn't something that is too common in this area but risk would increase with the fish size. No one is sick, but I sure wouldn't eat the fish if I knew the risks... Funny the guy taking us didn't want any, just a couple of the snappers...

wilske #398295 01/23/11 11:39 PM
Barracuda is outstanding and safe to eat certain times of the year. Only poisonous to eat a few months of the year when they contain higher levels of ciguatera toxins. I am sure if your fisherman sent you home to eat it that this time of year is fine. If you were sick you'd likely be going to the bathroom and have muscle aches/pains tingling, sweating/chills, itching, or be naucious/dizziness.

wilske #398298 01/24/11 02:32 AM
A friend of mine developed paralysis and took years to recover enough to go back to work. He's still not 100%. That said, he didn't eat the barracuda in Belize; he ate it on Little Corn Island, Nicaragua.

Recently, whilst in San Pedro, I had a couple of local guides tell me that they know by the smell and/or texture, whether or not the barracuda is alright to eat.

Be that as it may, you'll not find me eating any barracuda.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

R
R
Nor me either. It may or may not be a problem here but I know many places in the Caribbean it is and have heard some horrific stories of the result of ciguatera toxins. Especially in larger barracuda. No fish like parrotfish or such that eat the reef or fish that feed off the reef fish, thank you. I emphasize that it may not be a big problem here but it is elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
wilske #398300 01/24/11 06:21 AM
Its my favorite fish to eat and I've been doing so for 26 years.
I really don't mind if you guys think we have ciguatera in Belize.
The crazy rumors and misinformation mean that I get more Barracuda.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #398301 01/24/11 07:20 AM
It's very very rare but it is wise to be cautious. It's just about any big old fish in the summer months that are risky.My 16 yr old grand nephew ate a HUGE piece of mackerel, it covered the whole plate, here in August 2009 and was in ICU at Belize Healthcare Partners on life support for a week. Another person ate a small piece of the same fish and just had mild symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and tingling extremities.Both are now fine with no lasting effects. The smaller fish and barracuda under 5 lbs are not carriers and are safe.

wilske #398305 01/24/11 08:19 AM
C
C
HOw do you know if the fish is safe? Not to eat any fish in the summer? Surely not?! My hubby and friends caught a a couple large barracuda when we were in Belize over CHristmas and we ate them with gusto!

wilske #398306 01/24/11 08:20 AM
True the older the fish the more chance it has had to collect some toxins. Species isn't just barracuda.
Some bacteria, algae or dinoflagellateshas have some bi-products that over time builds up in the meat and can become a toxic poison problem for the person eating it anytime of the year.
ciguatera poison might just be a catch-all diagnosis for a group of similar organisms with toxins as bi-product that accumulate in fish meat.
Eat young fish our fish that have short life spans if your worried.. or better yet give it to me :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #398308 01/24/11 08:32 AM
W
wilske Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for all the info as a visitor I don't want to worry about the time of year or how many pounds the fish is... it's just off my menu! LOL

wilske #398314 01/24/11 09:14 AM
JMHO!?-yuch-!...... Give it to elbert! smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.