Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#398432 01/25/11 09:32 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

San Pedro is known to be a loving and caring community always looking out for each other and helping those in need in any way possible. A group of island residents have come up with the idea of building a family home for men, women or children that are abandoned or need a place to call home.

The community of San Pedro is a very giving and humanitarian and when it comes to helping out people especially children it always achieves its goals. Currently there about 20 members involved in this project and Mrs. Shelly Huber is the President and Ms. Eve Dirnback is the Vice President.

"Although this project is still on the making we have many great plans for the home," commented Mrs. Huber. "One of the first things we want to do is register the home as we want to do everything legally. The home will be named 'Mama Vilma Family Home', and the reason why we chose this name is because those of us who knew Mama Vilma Arceo know that she was a very caring person and was always helping out the community of San Pedro."

The plan is to open a home that will offer housing, food, medical support, and education to the children of San Pedro that lack parental support, either from absent parents or parents without the means to offer support. One of the major things for this group is to unite to support the physical, social and emotional needs of women and children.

A fundraiser event has been organized and it will be a fashion show at Coco Locos Swim up Beach Bar on Saturday, February 19. During the fashion show models will be showing off the best in clothing that the top boutiques on the island have. Tickets for the Fashions show are for $20.00 Bze; there will be several door prizes and auctions.

Let us unite once again for a great cause. The children of San Pedro deserve our support. Together as a community we can move mountains. Let us help make the Mama Vilma Home a reality. If anyone wishes to join this group or make donations kindly contact Mrs. Shelly Huber at 651-3533 or Ms. Eve Dirnback at 623-9962.

By Sofia Mu�oz for the Ambergris Today

This is so wonderful. Ms. Shelly is an amazing and wonderful woman. What an incredible and loving project.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
In a society where abuse happens but is often never reported, it is imperative that those abused have a haven to turn to when in need. Having seen the need for such a home, a group of dynamic volunteers have taken on the hefty task of planning a variety of activities in the hopes that the community comes together to build this much-needed home for women, children and men in need. The San Pedro Sun met with two of the ladies spearheading the group, Mrs. Shelley Huber (President) and Mrs. Eve Dirnback (Vice President), and they outlined their plans.

Mrs. Dirnback has been active in San Pedro, having (often single-handedly) raised funds for projects, especially at San Pedro Roman Catholic School. Mrs. Shelley of course, is known for her participation in community events, providing delicious food from her catering company, as well as offering support whenever necessary. With the saying “it takes a village to raise a child”, and bearing in mind one of San Pedro’s most beloved women, Mrs. Vilma Arceo, the volunteers are ready to work to build “Mama Vilma’s Family Home”. It is not just a home for women and children; there are single fathers who need help too.

Taking into account the legacy of love that Mama Vilma had for the children in her community, being herself a battered woman, the group decided that the home would be dedicated to her memory. The first fundraising effort will be a Fashion Show, to be held at the Coco Locos Bar on February 19th, from 4pm- 8pm. Local models (Recycled Teenagers) will be modeling clothing from various local boutiques and great food and entertainment will be provided. It will be a night of fun and fashion, and one that will help jumpstart a worthy cause. Everyone is invited to attend and all are asked to give their support to the project which will help those in our community that are most in need. An official meeting will be held on January 30th, 2011, at a location to be announced later.

To pledge your support, or to find out how you can be of assistance with this project, call 623-9962 or 651-3533. Help a worthy cause and let us all have a hand in stopping the abuse.

--(Printed January 20, 2011 - Vol. 21, Issue #03)--
S
S
My wife and I own at Bermuda Palms behind CL and fully support this fundraiser and will volunteer our knowledge working with USA prison inmates to help the house in any way we can.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
That is great - having some insight and experience in a wide variety of fields is going to be crucial to the eventual success of this venture.

T
T
How wonderful! This sounds like an amazing project. I was a Domestic Violence/sexual assault prosecutor for many years. The victims of DV/SA often have very little resources and stay in abusive situations out of fear or necessity. I have worked with hundreds of victims over the years as well as law enforcement [writing DV protocols for police to follow when responding to a DV situation]. I hope I may be able to help in some way in the future with this project.

Trysh

S
S
we would love to have you Trysh, when will you be down?

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
There is a charity fashion show on Saturday February 19 from 4-8 p.m.
All proceeds for Mama Vilmas family Home.The women of San Pedro are joining together to support the physical,social, and emotional needs of our children.
Tickets are BZ$20, include a bridge pass, entertainment, finger food and a
fabulous fashion show.

This will be held at Coco Locos on the beach and around the pool.
The following Boutiques have tickets on sale.

ISLAND GEAR
BLUE
TOP NOTCH
PRETTY ETHNIC
ISLAND VIBE
MOON DANCER
SARAIE

This will be the first of many fundraisers.

It takes a village to raise a child and we need the support of the community.
We are now a registered foundation and we know this will become a reality.
any questions- please contact

Shelly Huber 226-2447- PRESIDENT
Eve Dirnback 623-9962-VICE PRESIDENT

Hope to see you there

T
T
Sorry... I am just seeing your post. I don't log on often. My husband actually just got back from AC. We rotate our trips because of the kids when they are in school. I will keep the info. for our next trip [we try to have one of us go every few wks]. If there is anything I can do long distance wise... if you are working on protocols for responding police officers, etc. I can give you my private email address. I am not sure if you have put out a Needs/Wish list yet or if it is too early. We could post information on our rental site as well. Again, it just sounds like a wonderful project. Blessings... Trysh

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Fundraiser for Mama Vilma's Family Home

On Saturday, February 19, 2011 the Mama Vilma's Family Home held its fashion show fundraiser at Coco Locos Bar, just north of the Boca del Rio Bridge. The venue was packed with many locals and tourists who were proud to show their support in making this family home a dream come true for the island of San Pedro.

President of the Mama Vilma's Family Mrs. Shelly Huber and Mrs. Eve Dirnback, Vice President, were so happy to host this amazing fundraiser with the help of the San Pedro community. The fantastic fashion show was hosted by Chris Burkey which show featured local male and female models modeling clothing from the following boutiques: 4:20 Men's Clothing, Island Vibes, Moondancer, Island Gear, Sarai, Blu, Top Notch, D Sea, Pretty Ethnic, Mambo Chill, Reef Boutique and Addy's. There was also the premier presentation of proud Sanpedrana Yvonne Bradley's clothing line.

Wowing the crowd was Lara Goldman (Romantic Travel Belize) and her fantastic fire dance performance. There were also many auctions available of donations made possible by: paintings by Tyrell, Man at Work, all Day Catamaran trip on the Marely Jean and paintings by Kirt Cruz.

There was also some delicious food available by: Fido's, Banana Beach, Legend's Burger House, Annie's Pastries, Caye Winds, Emma Varela, Dana Palma, Atlantida Eiley, Shelly Huber and Francisca Acosta.

Let us unite once again for a great cause. The children of San Pedro deserve our support. Together as a community we can move mountains. Let us help make the Mama Vilma's Family Home a reality. If anyone wishes to join this group or make donations kindly contact Mrs. Shelly Huber at 651-3533; Ms. Eve Dirnback at 623-9962 or Sheryl Bowen at 625-5366. Donations can also be made towards the Mama Vilma's Family Home Belize Bank account 6701128932.

Click here to see more photos in the Ambergris Today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.