Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#399217 02/01/11 03:00 PM
OP Offline
After reading numerous internet search results, I have out that Self-employed work permit is the way to go, if I decided to stay and work in Belize.
I am a Certified Management Accountant, Project Manager, MBA and Information System consultant and a part time college instructor. (I applied to U of Belize, they did nto get back to me yet.)

As well, I have a B.Sc. in Agriculture in food Science and love to cook. Worked in restaurants and hotels to support my education.

Do you think that I should open:
1) An accounting, Business Service consulting company? Is there demand in Belize?
Or
2) A restaurant? When I was in CC on vacation, I found that the restaurants are not very good at all, i.e. everybody has grilled lobster (dry and usually cooked too well done). There were no Sushi restaurant.... I had a Sushi dish at CC, it cost me $30US and it was bought and resold.

Originally Posted by KSFunGO4IT
Do you think that I should open:
2) A restaurant? When I was in CC on vacation, I found that the restaurants are not very good at all, i.e. everybody has grilled lobster (dry and usually cooked too well done). There were no Sushi restaurant.... I had a Sushi dish at CC, it cost me $30US and it was bought and resold.

Depends on how much money you want to loose.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Hon Offline
Found that the restaurants on CC were not very good at all? Man, your standards are way bizarre! I had an absolutely great grilled lobster meal at Rose's on Saturday...for $25 BZE! Give your head a shake...

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
OP Offline
We were at Rose's around Christmas. The whole CC was low on food. A few restaurants ran out of lobsters as well as other food. I tried to buy some eggs and they were out. Rose's also was low on food, so they quietly reduce the size of the dish. We waited for at least 30 mins to get to order, at least an hour before we get to eat. By that time, we were so hungry that we lost our appetite. Noting "Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home." I have eaten many Atlantic lobsters and every year we have lobster feast flow in from the east coast.
I have to admit... I like my lobster cooked whole and I crack it open myself. I don't think Newfoundlanders grill their lobsters.

S
S
So why weren't you in Newfoundland?

OP Offline
I am not from Newfoundland. People are nice and happy there. But, no job. Cold, wet winter. Windy summer.
Lobster is best cooked steamed with seaweed and the juice preserved. At CC. some serve lobsters with coconut sauce to overcome the dryness of grilled lobster.

It depends on your taste. Belizeans love to grill! Also, our local lobster is not of the same texture as the 'Maine' style lobsters. As an artist (chef) I'm sure you understand that it is all about taste. If you go to Caye Caulker during Lobster Fest, you will see Belizean lobster cooked in every possible way! It's wonderful. If you're interested, here is a short video we did a couple of years ago at Caye Caulker Lobster Fest -- Rock Lobster

As for your other questions. It seems that any bar you walk into in Belize will have several 'consultants' willing to help. The restaurant business is really tough here and not that many people succeed. Those that do have no personal life whatsoever and work outrageous hours with very little recompense. Unless you can afford to do it as a hobby of course!

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

OP Offline
Thanks... I know restaurant business is hard.... when I was at CC. I saw the cook from the Indian restaurant walked out and the restaurant had to close. It opened just a couple months ago.

I would open up an accounting and business service company. Like Young's internet cafe but specialized in accounting and bookkeeping. May be I would open a little restaurant like the Italian restaurant that has 2 tables for forgot about the name of it.... as a hobby. I would volunteer at Ocean Academy, compost and grow fruits and vegetables. After all I am going to retire in CC, but simply not working would be hard.

There's a guy in Hopkins who is a serious foody and runs a restaurant there at Beaches and Dreams. His name is Tony. You might find him an interesting guy to connect with. Here's his blog Chef in Belize Blog

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

OP Offline
Really appreciate your link...
Yup.... This guy got it right... He is making good $.
I definitely follow his BLOG... Foodies would pay a lot.... as long as the food is good... freshly garden vegetables, fresh seafood, paired with wine....
Another problem is that wine is very expensive in Belize.
If I have restaurant, I would ask all my friends to buy up to the 6 bottle limit of wine at the duty free store and bring them in for me...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 285 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.