Next Thread
Print Thread
#39966 05/29/01 01:06 PM
C
cozdiva Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Day 1
Our flight left Dallas at 12:40 and we went into vacation mode immediately! We took advantage of the free drinks on the flight (that's all I'll say about that!). We arrived at Belize City and hooked up with the little guy from Jet's Bar (Enid I think is his name), anyway he took good care of us and gave me a coaster to remember him by. Arrived in San Pedro around 3:30 I think, checked in at Coconuts, took our bags in, changed into what would become our entire weeks attire practically (swimsuits) and headed out to Coconut's Bar! Met Marge (she does make the best drinks and does sing to you occasionally) and several other locals and tourists. Jenny showed up to braid hair. I've never done it before but I'd had just enough to drink that I went for it. This was a great decision! Everyone then headed to the chicken drop at the Pier Lounge. We did it twice and won the second one. What fun! Don't miss this. It's the horse raises of AC! We then ate dinner at Caliente's. I had Margarita shrimp and Steve had Coconut Curry Shrimp. ($30.00 US w/ tip) Great food and service! We had a few more drinks there and met more people that informed us it was Lady's night at Dockside so off we went. Mind you, we still had our swimsuits on but no one seemed to care. We danced and drank until about 3:00AM. I wanted to test out all the pools but don't think it was a good idea in our condition - someone would have drowned! Anyway, we met the local guard dogs and they walked us back to Coconuts. We hit the bed about 4:00AM. One word of advice, if you stay at Coconut's, make sure you let David know you do not want spinning beds in your room! We had so much fun but we paid!

Day 2
Pretty much a blur! Not the way I wanted to start out my first full day in AC but that's what I get for acting like I was 20 something instead of 30 something! We didn't get out of bed until 4:00 PM! And we stuck to water! We went to Papi's for dinner. Glad I had them on my list, as it wouldn't be somewhere I would have just stumbled upon! We both had fried shrimp and just orange Fanta but it was fantastic! ($30.00 US w/ tip). We left there and went to Elvi's for key lime pie ($6.00 for 2). It was great also and looked like a great restaurant to eat at but we never made it back there for dinner. We also met Sandshaker in a taxi tonight but never saw her again except driving by in a golf cart a few times we think! At 8:00 we were pooped and back in bed!

Day 3
I was up at 5:00AM with the sun shining into our room. This is our first dive day. We just ate breakfast at Coconuts (breads, juices, etc) and headed out for our diving with Amigos Del Mar. They are an excellent operation. Always on time and very good about everything. First dive was at Tres Cocos where we didn't see too much but there was a sea turtle and he made it great! Second dive was Boca Chica Caverns. We saw 8 spotted Eagle Rays all together. What a sight! After diving, we had lunch at Estels. Steve had fish and chips, I had a chicken burrito and we had chips and salsa and a couple of drinks. ($30.00 US w/ tip - are you seeing a pattern here? Most of our meals were around $30.00 somehow. We could have eaten cheaper but we'd been dieting since January and really splurged on food!) Once again, the food was great and so was the service. We just lazed around in the afternoon and then went to Jade Garden. We had egg rolls (don't miss these), Steve had Fried Shrimp and I had Sweet and Sour shrimp. This was probably our favorite place overall - we love Chinese food! ($ Guess? Yep, $30.00 w/ tip). Then we went and got a piece of Lemon Pie from Vilma's (street vendor). Ohmigosh! It was still warm and $2.00 for a huge piece! We bought a couple of souviners and pooped out again.

Day 4
2nd day of diving! I'm up very early again and breakfast at Coconuts. 1st dive was Boca Ciega Caverns where we saw lots of nice coral heads but not many fish. 2nd dive was at Pillar Coral Reef where we saw more sea turtles, Eagle Rays and a small shark (Hammerhead we think). After diving, we headed back to Jade Garden (the egg rolls were calling). Steve had Sweet and Sour Shrimp and I had Shrimp fried rice and then we shared key lime pie. The food was all so good and the service is also. ($30.00) We spent the afternoon at the Banana Beach pool. This was a nice hotel and pool but a long walk to town in the sand and heat! I have decided I love those braids! No hairspray for 4 days! For dinner we went to Jambel Jerk Pit. I know many of you love this place but it was really our only disappointment. The food and service was great but the portion size was pathetic! We both had Jambel Shrimp and only pop ($30.00) but we were starving when we left. So, we went to Vilma's again and shared a beef burrito and lemon pie ($3.50) and we were now stuffed. We then went to Fido's to find the Flo gang but they weren't there! We checked in several times and even asked several groups if they were them but no luck!

Day 5-9 to follow - Blue Hole Day trip (no overnight available without chartering a private boat and we didn't win the lotto before we left) and our all day sail to Caye Caulker!

L
L
Thanks for sharing your report. Your first day sounds a lot like the one I had there just recently!! Lots of fun, right?

Laurie

Great report!! Thanks. 10 more days for us. Glad you mentioned the Chinese food. It's my favorite and I would have missed it! All I was aware of was the place called Rendevous. Thanks for the tip.
Debbie

Thanks for the great report...I look forward to these..Glad you got to meet Marge..she's such a sweety!
Why were there no overnights to BluE Hole? Was the Boat down for repairs or booked?

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
Great trip report.. can't wait for the next 5 days.. Jade Gardens is one of my brother's fav's too, so we went there alot or ordered take out.. If you are back there during lobster season be sure to try the curried lobster. Must say that I never had a meal I didn't like in San Pedro but that Jade Gardens, Sweet Basils and Mangos are at the top of the list.

Aren't the spotted eagle rays amazing? I saw two on my last snorkle trip to Tres Cocos and wouldn't you know it, I had NO film left when they arrived.. Oh well just means I have to return and keep trying to 'catch' them next time.

Speaking of pictures AXEMAN.. where are yours???

Cheers Gail

C
C
Hey Coz,

our nickname for the Chicken Drop was Chicken Craps(no pun intended)...you big winner, you!!!

C
cozdiva Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oh yea - we're the big winners of $50.00! At least it helped cover the drinks the first night!

Axeman, from what I understood, there is only one group that does the overnight trip now and the boat was chartered for the week. It would have been $1600.00 to charter a boat which isn't a bad deal if you can get 8 people! We couldn't though and were disappointed we didn't get to spend the night on that beautiful island!

We do hope to get back during lobster season sometime! It is one of our fav's and seeing it on the menus but not being able to order it was sad! Oh well, just another thing to look forward to for next time!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.