Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400508
02/17/11 11:46 PM
02/17/11 11:46 PM
Caye Caulker
C
Cooper Offline
Cooper  Offline
C
16 months ago I went to San Pedro, I live in Caye Caulker..with my Montana Drivers License that was almost a year expired...I took no test what so ever and in 5 minutes had my Belize License.The gal at the desk did it, I knew to bring passport pictures.. I do have residency but still took no test . Just came back from the U.S and was able to rent a car with the Shabbily done license. I am aware you can get a more modern version of a Belize license if you go to Belmopan. Guess if you have never had a license a test would be required...then it also depends if the traffic officer had lunch yet or not as well....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400509
02/17/11 11:52 PM
02/17/11 11:52 PM
B
beachdude Offline
beachdude  Offline
B
If you are coming for 2 weeks, just use your US license, perfectly valid. I got my first BZ license 6 years ago in SP, although the test was easy, it took longer than your vacation to get them to schedule it! It was about 25 questions, they X out things like what side of Albert Street do you park on? Funny!
You don't need one until you move here permanently and don't want to go back to the US just for a license.

Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400555
02/18/11 01:54 PM
02/18/11 01:54 PM
Canada
B
BZE Me Offline
BZE Me  Offline
B
When I got my Belize license I was told that I did not need to take a test by the gentleman at the traffic department because I am Canadian. All I needed was a valid Canadian License and passport type photos. Sure enough I went down with the photos, paid the fee and had a license. Took about an hour!

Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400559
02/18/11 03:17 PM
02/18/11 03:17 PM
San Pedro
P
Phil Offline
Phil  Offline
P
To drive here as a local you have to excel at the following:

~Never ever look over your shoulder. Ever. Mirror is to check your hair.
~If somoene is parked on your side of the road meaning you have to cross into oncoming traffic so long as you get to the gap first go for it as fast as possible, much better if you stop the oncoming traffic that has right of way and allow everyone behind you to also follow.
~Wait in your Parking space to pull out into traffic until the the traffic coming behind you has to dramatically slow or better yet stop, to let you out. Don't hesitate, just pull out and never look.
~If reversing out into trafic from your property wait to ensure to stop the traffic flow in at least one direction and ideally pull out across both sides of the road. Don't hesitate, just pull out and never look.
~If at a crossroads junction and crossing the flow of traffic (ie turning left) pull out before the people opposite you and cut off their right of way. Leave it as late as possible so they are already in motion, but fast enough to get there first. Don't look at them and dont ever hesitate.
~The bigger your vehicle the bigger your right of way and you can get to your destination without ever stopping, perhaps even slowing down.

If a tourist:

~Drive exceptionally slowly in the middle of the road looking in the window of every shop - remember there are shops on both sides.

Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400561
02/18/11 03:31 PM
02/18/11 03:31 PM
South Ambergris Caye
JZB Offline
JZB  Offline
Too funny Phil! smile

Re: Drivers License? [Re: Phil] #400568
02/18/11 04:22 PM
02/18/11 04:22 PM
Ambergris Caye, Belize
gecko_girl Offline
gecko_girl  Offline
You forgot "when stopping for any reason there is no need to move to one side of the road. Stopping in the middle of the road and blocking the traffic behind for several minutes is fine when picking up passengers or if you need to have a chat"!!

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400569
02/18/11 04:35 PM
02/18/11 04:35 PM
maya beach
Barnacle Offline
Barnacle  Offline
if driving a dump truck, never EVER use the hydrolic brakes. always use the down shift, double clutch, rev motor, apply 'Jake Brake' method for all slowing or stopping. remove muffler if needed.

Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400570
02/18/11 05:02 PM
02/18/11 05:02 PM
San Pedro Belize
elbert Offline
elbert  Offline
also forgot, when mixing drinks for your golf cart passengers or distributing beers from the cooler it is not required to slow or remain in the same lane.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Re: Drivers License? [Re: elbert] #400571
02/18/11 05:53 PM
02/18/11 05:53 PM
Ontario, Canada
Hon Offline
Hon  Offline
When informed that you are going the wrong way on a one way street, say 'I'm only going down a ways', shrug your shoulders, smile drunkenly and hold your beer up in a toast to your innocence.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Re: Drivers License? [Re: peterh] #400574
02/18/11 08:22 PM
02/18/11 08:22 PM
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
P
peterh Offline OP
peterh  Offline OP
P
Ha! ha! ha! you guy's are a scream..........sounds like most islands smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 135 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,529
Posts491,218
Members19,985
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.