Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

this fish washed up by Rojo up north at a friend of mines house. It was wading around for a while then they finally got ahold of it. its tail was gone? and was half dead.

what is it?

edible? smile

AC

It appears to be a juvenile ocean sunfish. They get much much bigger than that in the deep ocean. Wikipedia

Last edited by KC Jayhawk; 02/23/11 04:06 PM.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
Yes, that was I was told - it is a sunfish.

JZB Offline
Those are open ocean fish that can grow to 10' across. Very Cool!

Sun Fish
I saw one at Hol Chan that was adult, about 10 feet across, correct. They look like a fish with out a head or a head with out a body but definitely weird.
A very peaceful docile guy
Ac what isn't edible?

Last edited by elbert; 02/23/11 04:38 PM.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
A C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by elbert
Sun Fish
I saw one at Hol Chan that was adult, about 10 feet across, correct. They look like a fish with out a head or a head with out a body but definitely weird.
A very peaceful docile guy
Ac what isn't edible?

they let it go frown I woulda grilled it. and then looked it up later!

AC

thats a joke for all you fish huggers smile

R
R
Yes, I've seen many of them, it is a Sun Fish. When you see them at sea all you see at first is a large fin sticking up above the water. They can get huge and you can approach them very closely. I believe that they feed on jelly fish.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Also called Mola Mola. Damn shame that one's dead, considering how rare they are.

Are your friends sure that it was dying while it was lolling around? After all, a docile fish like that, might just have been trying to figure out how to get back to the deep water.

Sigh.

Last edited by seashell; 02/23/11 07:39 PM.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

AC, just re-read your original post. I'm a bit confused. You said it was half-dead, but you also said they let it go? Do you mean, that it looked like it was half dead, your guys got hold of it, but then let it go? Maybe it is still alive, if not too badly mauled? Hoping for a happy ending.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
Glad to hear this is a sunfish. I am the person who took the above picture. The fish came so close to shore, and acted very strange for what I consider a normal fish. Now that all of you were nice enough to inform us of what it is, and now know that it was normal behavior (to swim on it's side, and not have a tail) I am happy to tell you that I am positive it is still alive swimming around. We let it go in case it was trying to get back out to the deep. It took its good old time, but eventually I lost track of it. It was so strange looking that we thought it was butchered up, and acting so strange that we thought it was injured. Happy ending!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 359 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.