Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#401096 02/25/11 03:28 PM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
We had our home built three years ago. After re building the septic, rebuilding an exterior roof and having the whole house leak like a sieve, we thought that would be it. Well, no. We are now having to replace all of the wood that was used and have just found out that the wiring was done badly and dangerously. So please, just because your house looks pretty - be VERY careful who you work with.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

J
J
i am scared to ask who your builder was,for fear i had the same builder

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
jweber, I've sent you a private message.

www.conchcreative.com

M
M
The biggest mistake that people make when they come here to build is to take the lowest bid. You will always get screwed. Many of our contractors simply dont know enough to be doing the job but our regs do not protect the customer. Having been in that business for over twenty years here I assure you the problem is wide spread, as a contractor I never take the low bid on any work I farm out. I use only people I know will do the job right, if they charge more, so what at least the job is done correctly and does not have to be redone. All wiremen are licensed and you take a big chance if you dont use a reputable wireman and plumber. All parts of the job are critical. Many people pay 1 1/2 times the value of their home. First they pay 3/4 thinking they are getting a good deal then it takes another 3/4 to fix everything. Usually the highest price is the correct price here. Unless you are personally skilled you can not save money. Those who say you can are not correct. Require a resume of past jobs and then try to check them out. I could write a book about the horror stories of construction on the island and it would all be true. There is little or no legal recourse against these bad contractors. Buyer beware. I have seen approved plans that could not be built on the location they were approved for as well. Sorry for your bad experiences. Selecting a competent builder is about the biggest problem in building here except of course everything is actually much more expensive than you think it should be.

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
We actually took the highest bid, which was pointless and went severely over budget.

www.conchcreative.com

M
M
Sorry to hear all that. It is a problem when the contractors can not accurately calculate the cost of construction. I can only imagine what happened. It is a totally unregulated industry and a lot of people have horror stories.

P
P
Is your contractor standing behind his work, or are you having to pay for all the repairs?

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Pokey. Contractor walked off before job was done and refused to put anything right. We were stupid, naive and we got taken for a ride. We take responsibility for that. We're paying to put it right. Expensive lesson to learn.

I should add that of course now we hear a litany of horror stories from same contractor - but no one seemed to want to share them previously.

Last edited by collyk; 02/26/11 01:19 PM.

www.conchcreative.com

Wana swap bad builder stories? I can up you one! ;-)
This has to make half the builders in town nervous and paranoid that were going to mention names!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Elbert. I'm sure and they should be nervous. I'd be happy to hear your worst!

www.conchcreative.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.