Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#401251 02/27/11 12:18 PM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Coming from the UK, the whole electrics thing is very different here. Having come up against some problems with our wiring, we've gotten some advice but would be interested to know what is normal practice. For example, we have 19 lights and one socket on one breaker. We've been told that is excessive but were wondering what other people's experience is. Fortunately we took 6 of the lights off soon after moving in because of water leaking into the house through them (these were external lights), so we've only effectively got 13 and one socket on one breaker. With the voltage being different here, we're wondering if that is normal or if the advice we've been given is correct and we need to rewire. Thanks. ps. We will be getting a second professional opinion on this but we were curious if this was just normal practice.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

phone me on 629-0527 and I will let you know.

John

R
ron Offline
R
Typically, in the states with the same type of electrical voltage as has Belize, you have too many lights on one circuit.Usually in the states outlets are one size wire while lights are another size.It has to do with how much power is needed to go through the line to power whatever will be attached to the system. A heavier wire would be used for outlets since they could have large power consumers plugged it. We now even color code the wires so it is easy to see what the line should be. Another factor in designing the electrical system is the size of the breakers. Lighting systems typically are 15 amp while outlets are typically 20 amp. Exterior boxes for lights should be rated for use in wet locations. That being said, the standards or code could be different in Belize. I wired my house to conform to the standards I am familiar with in the States. Electricians in Belize are supposed to be licensed.

JZB Offline
Call Handyman Eddie Halliday. He won't steer you wrong.

P
P
X2 Call Eddy or someone you trust. Here's why:

Its all to do with wiring gauge installed in your house, the load or current drawn and circuit breaker size. How many Watts each device on the circuit draws (the lights in this case) determines the current drawn at any one time they're all on together. Then the wire between the fuse box and each light has a maximum current rating it can handle before it melts or burns and the circuit breaker should be set well below this value so it pops first. 100W Light bulb is close to 1 Amp so if you have a 15Amp circuit breaker and the wire size is correct max load is 15 lights but you should run at max 75% so ~10 lights - so prob too many. Definately shouldnt have sockets on lighting circuits as well.

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all. We have called Eddie - don't worry. But I was just wondering if this were normal practice as he seems concerned. Four of the lights on the breaker are exterior floodlights and yes there is one socket on the breaker as well.

www.conchcreative.com

P
P
Can't comment on "normal" practice, just what is right. The concerns on things like this when wrong are justified as an error doesn't lead to poor water pressue or an a/c not cooling properly - it can lead to a life threatening fire.

Eddy isn't a drama queen either, nor will he "create" additional work for himself, so if he's concerened it's valid.

When my elecetrician friend from the states came to visit he checked out my construction. He asked if electricans wer paid by the amount of wire they run. For instrance one wire ran from the circuit box across two units and back into the room where the circuit breaker was for one outlet. REALLY!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Phil. I appreciate your frankness and assistance.

www.conchcreative.com

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, the good news is that the problem has been located and fortunately our breakers work. Bad news is there was a fire and we didn't even know about it as it was in a wall cavity. Problem caused by incorrect and dangerous installation.

Oh and Eddie saved the day.

Last edited by collyk; 02/28/11 08:28 PM. Reason: To say that Eddie saved the day!

www.conchcreative.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.