Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40141 05/31/01 11:21 AM
OP Offline
A little report on one of the best weeks of my life. Words cannot describe, but here's an attempt -
Day 1:
Arrived in San Pedro, loved it from minute 1. Even waiting at the airport for my luggage to come 3 planes later was no big deal. No hurries, no worries. Took a water taxi to the house and loved it. Right on the ocean on the north side - felt spoiled, gotta love it! :-)
Day 2-4:
First morning took the walk to Capricorn for Ceviche and Lime Daquiris. Nobody does it better. Does time really have any meaning? Spent a few days in San Pedro checking out the town, signing up for tours, etc (learned soon that schedules are subject to change depending on weather). Not much going on in town through the day - not much shopping, but if that was what I wanted I would have gone somewhere else. Best action is off shore in my opinion. Money is much better spent here on good meals, activities like snorkeling, etc. It was a relaxing few days, spent too much time in the sun (came to the island white as snow, was a lobster by the end of the second day and left the island golden brown after two days of serious rain).
Day 5:
First snorkeling trip. Tried it in Hawaii, hated it (don't remember why). Tried it on AC - addicted for life! Plan to try diving next time. We hooked up with SEArious adventures - I can't imagine a better tour company. Thanks Willie & Sandy! You're the greatest! Went to Goff's Caye, Caye Caulker, Fin Fan. Without a doubt my best day in AC all the way around. Got hooked on the Reggae music. Can't get it out of my head! Had to buy some Shaggy & Reggae Souls before the end of the week. But listening to it now just makes me miss the island.
Day 6-7:
We rented a golf cart to explore the rest of the island - went as far south as possible, not much to see, but a great diversion. Can't stay in the water 24/7 I guess! Spent more time in San Pedro hanging out, making friends with locals, having a good time. Experienced the Chicken Drop (what's up with that?!?!?!?!?) Good for a laugh, though.
Day 8:
Went to Altun Ha again with SEArious. SUPERB day - Mayan Indian ruins, Maruba resort - a beautiful little get away, but I prefer the island and the ocean. Had a great lunch (Armadillo, anyone?) Had to be gutsy to try it. Pretty tasty roadkill. :-)Another near perfect day.
Day 9:
Awake through the night with amazing thunder/lightening storms. Got antsy around noon and limped into town at the first break in the rain searching for adventure. Got there just in time to hook up with a few other antsy tourists for a snorkeling trip to Shark/Ray Alley and Hol Chan (definitely a must-do). We had scheduled reef fishing today, but were rained out.
Day 10:
Reef fishing cancelled again. I've never been interested in fishing, but it sounded fun. Maybe next time. My last full day on the island and feeling pretty disappointed. But the storm was beautiful. Rain/thunder/lightening didn't stop until around 3:00 in the afternoon, so we WADED up the north road into town to see some friends and pick up a couple souvenirs. Water taxi would have been better, but not as much fun! Caught up with a couple of new friends and went out to dinner at Caliente. So sad to say goodbye to my island friends. Love ya & miss ya!
Day 11:
Woke up sad with a knot in my stomach. Didn't want to leave. Not glad to go home - not even a little bit! Felt like crying and probably did once or twice. Went into town alone (my lucky-to-be-staying-behind friends didn't come, easier to say goodbye at the dock, hop on the water taxi and speed away). Wandered through town a few minutes waiting for my flight, feeling sad & nostalgic. Can't wait to come back. In Belize City, thought of hopping back on another Maya Island flight to return. What can I say, I fell in love with la isla bonita. Maybe in a perfect world...

#40142 05/31/01 12:44 PM
A
A
Thanks for the detailed trip report, IJ!
it sounds like you had an excellent time despite the weather.

I agree that Willie and Sandy run an excellent tour operation, I did 2 of my day trips with them and had so much fun. Did you get a chance to wash your armadillo down with some viper rum shots at Maruba?

Are they still playing lots of Shaggy on the island? Everytime I hear, "It Wasn't Me", I laugh to think that I hated that song before I went away, now everytime I hear that song I think of beautiful San Pedro and how that song was playing everywhere you went!

Thanks again for the enthusiastic trip report.

#40143 05/31/01 12:50 PM
L
L
I just returned from my first trip on 5/13. I agree - one of the best weeks of my life. I absolutely loved it!

Laurie

#40144 05/31/01 01:02 PM
There ya go, Mr B. If you want to worry about your trip, why don't you worry that it will turn out like Island's? :^)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#40145 05/31/01 02:44 PM
Another excellent report. Belize It

Dare To Deviate
#40146 05/31/01 04:17 PM
OP Offline
AC Beach Bum-
Sorry, didn't try the viper rum. It was offered, but for "real men only." Since that doesn't include me - I'm of the senorita persuasion - I decided to pass. Not much of a drinker anyway - rum punch and daquiries are more my speed. :-)
Thanks for the reply. When will you be beach bummin' on AC next?

#40147 06/01/01 08:54 AM
A
A
IslandJunkie-

I too find the rum punch to be more my speed, but couldn't resist the lure of shooting that potent snake drink and chasing it with oranges along with the boys! One of the other girls did it with me (a decision we came to regret on the bumpy boat ride home).

I think I'm going back in a couple of weeks to visit friends for the 4th of July. I think when you visit the same place 2 times in three months, it qualifies as an addiction.

Prepare for serious AC withdrawal to intensify very soon. Throw the Shaggy in the CD player and dance around in that pretty SEArious Adventures tshirt of yours!

[This message has been edited by AC Beach Bum (edited 06-01-2001).]

#40148 06/01/01 09:35 AM
OP Offline
AC BB -

Hope you have a blast on your trip! Wish I were going back again, but thinking it will be later this summer or Sept before I can get away again. Sorry to hear the AC withdrawl may intensify... I was hoping it would subside - :-) I now understand AC can be addictive! I'm still trying to figure out WHY... I still can't listen to Shaggy without serious withdrawl - it's just not the same here. But maybe in a few days I'll put on the t-shirt and dance away. Kudos to you for being brave with the viper rum! Maybe I'll try it next time. ;-)

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.