Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Hi all, I'm looking to come to AC in May this year and have airmiles that I want to use to get me there. Sadly, I can't use them to get all the way to Belize but I can use them to get to Mexico or Antigua.

I have a friend in BVI so a change in Antigua would be best as I could also meet him, however, it's looking very expensive to do so.

Any tips/advice on how to get to Belize/AC from Antigua for as little as possible, don't mind if it's a boat instead of a plane.....

You could do it cheaply by bus. I'm not sure of the exact route, but I believe it would be Antigua to Guatemala City, Guatemala City to Flores - maybe spend the night at Tikal, since it would be an opportunity you'd really not want to miss. Then taxi over the border. You can then bus it all the way across Belize to Belize City and catch the water taxi there. I think the Flores to Belize City part of the trip is about 5 hours. Again, you might want to break this up by stopping in San Ignacio for the night and doing one of the great tours near there. If you want to shorten the trip slightly and are prepared to spend a bit of money, there is a Tropic Air flight from Belmopan to San Pedro. Belmopan is about 1 hour and 45 minutes by bus from San Ignacio and then you'd need to get a local taxi to take you to the air strip. I'm sure someone else can help you with the Guatemalan side of the journey. You sound like you have a great adventure in mind!

Last edited by collyk; 03/02/11 07:30 PM.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

M
M
Assuming you mean Antigua, the island in the West Indies, and not Antigua, Guatemala...

The cheapest place to fly to might be Cancun. It's not too difficult to use the Mexican ADO express buses to get to Chetumal, then get one of the water taxis to Ambergris Caye.

The bus from Cancun to Chetumal takes about 6 hours and costs a few hundred pesos, but take your time and visit Playa del Carmen or Tulum. Check the bus schedules & fares here:
https://www.ticketbus.com.mx

The water taxis depart Chetumal daily in the afternoon; about 90 minutes and US$25 to $35.

More details about how I do the trip are on my BelizeBus site:
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

It has links to the water taxi services too.

If you find a cheap flight to Honduras, there are weekly water taxis from Puerto Cortes to Belize.

If you find a cheap flight to Guatemala City, there are daily express buses to Flores, then change to Belize City. Details are on BelizeBus.

Oh. Good point Mister B. I just assumed Antigua, Guatemala.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the replies.

Yes sorry, I mean Antigua in the caribbean. It's the flights from Antigua to Mexico city that are killing my travel budget. I don't mind flying to Honduras or Guatemala as I'm happy to travel and see some places on the way too.

H
OP Offline
H
Flights now booked, going to have to skip Antigua and am now flying into Cancun on the 7th April and back out on the 18th of May. So time to start looking at what we want to do out there !!

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MisterB266
Assuming you mean Antigua, the island in the West Indies, and not Antigua, Guatemala...

The cheapest place to fly to might be Cancun. It's not too difficult to use the Mexican ADO express buses to get to Chetumal, then get one of the water taxis to Ambergris Caye.

The bus from Cancun to Chetumal takes about 6 hours and costs a few hundred pesos, but take your time and visit Playa del Carmen or Tulum. Check the bus schedules & fares here:
https://www.ticketbus.com.mx

The water taxis depart Chetumal daily in the afternoon; about 90 minutes and US$25 to $35.

More details about how I do the trip are on my BelizeBus site:
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

It has links to the water taxi services too.

If you find a cheap flight to Honduras, there are weekly water taxis from Puerto Cortes to Belize.

If you find a cheap flight to Guatemala City, there are daily express buses to Flores, then change to Belize City. Details are on BelizeBus.

Thanks, can't get my head around those links, but the watertaxi from Chetumal to San Pedro was a nice easy one.

M
M
Hi Homer,

Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
Thanks, can't get my head around those links, but the watertaxi from Chetumal to San Pedro was a nice easy one.

Let me know what I can do for you.

That ticketbus site has always been strange. When the first page appears, click on "saltar intro" to skip the intro. Then click on the "Ticketbus" text. A new tab might open. Then in the upper right corner, click "English". You should be OK from here, except when you get the schedules, instead of putting all the schedules in a list, they are in tabs labelled morning, afternoon, evening, night or something like that. Once you learn all the idiosyncrasies, it gives good information.

An alternate site is the ADO site:
http://www.adogl.com.mx/en/index.htm

You likely do NOT want the ADO GL site. That lists just the handful of top-class buses. The GL buses are nice, but there are few of them -- for example, from Cancun City to Chetumal there are only two ADO GL buses a day.

The regular ADO site, fairly new, is http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp -- it has more comprehensive information, on both GL and the many regular (first class) ADO buses. While I think it is only in Spanish, it is easy to navigate without knowing much or even any Spanish.

--Lan Sluder

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.