Print Thread
#402166 03/10/11 05:55 PM
S
OP Offline
S

S
OP Offline
S

Sad to say, I've always stayed inside once the painting started, and for the past few years, don't go to the island at this time. One of the posters within the chat, that SP Daily sets out above, said that it was intended to be flour paint, easy to wash away, and before the cobblestone streets were in place. The town has changed, the practices of Carnival must change. As ever, education is the key. Wishing you all the best in these regards.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

M
M
I could not agree with Lady Dixie anymore than I do. Not only is it damaging to property, the semi-violent "celebration" serves as an indicator of the lack of cultural education given in most schools. We need curriculums that teach civil society skills so we may progress as a society. I am thankful that Island Academy was here for my son and grandchildren and many others in the community.

Children at play?

T
T
Actually as I understand it the schools do not participate at this stage. These are kids on their own. The issue is not if the celebration should continue but how.

Once again the town board (which is incapable of making any meaningful decisions)is silent. We have to hear the but you are a visitor to our island and you should respect our customs.

I have heard the morning show guys complain about how there is no support for the comparsas etc. The reality is that the celebration to me represents vandals so I just stay away. If you want this to be a significant cultural event then treat it like one.

B
B
Lady Dixie, Gonzalo, I couldn't agree with you more.
Thank you both for speaking out on a subject that many agree upon but have wrongly just shrugged and accepted.

Last edited by Brent Kirkman; 03/11/11 07:49 AM.
Travelnman, don't think SPDaily, Ladie Dixie, or Mike Campbell would qualify for "but you are a visitor to our island". It is my understanding that they are all longtime residents. Therefore, they should have a voice.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.