Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Moshe Levi Ben David

Moshe Levi Ben David, Belize's Music Ambassador, will release his first album after being behind bars for nine years. Promoters say Ben David, also known as Shyne, is expected to have at least two Def-Jam recording artists present at his pre-release album party this weekend. The promoter says that because of the hype being generated, they had to upgrade the event to a larger location that would be the MCC Grounds. News Five spoke to DJ Dalla who says you better get your tickets by the end of the week.

DJ Dalla, Promoter

"We had been dialoguing with Def Jam and Shyne's Label and we have decided to change venue of the show from Princess Poolside to MCC Grounds."

Jose Sanchez

"And why is that?"

DJ Dalla

"Well basically, you and everybody know that we had two guest appearance, we had now change it to now guest performance. They decided that the MCC Grounds would be a better venue because it is bigger and it's a surprise. Definitely when the people find out who it is, definitely the M.C.C. will be the venue to fill the capacity that we are looking for."

Jose Sanchez

"The identity of these guest performers. We heard Shyne talk about A-List singers that he has on speed dial. Is any of them coming?"

DJ Dalla

DJ Dalla

"Defintiely. It's performers that as you hear the name you will be like boom, you know it."

Jose Sanchez

"Male? Female? Any hints?"

DJ Dalla

"Well, male and female."

Jose Sanchez

"And Shyne? there are rumors that maybe Shyne won't even be showing up to his own party."

DJ Dalla

"Well as we speak, Shyne is on the plane right now and he will be in Belize on Wednesday."

Jose Sanchez

"Now the cost of it is how much?"

DJ Dalla

"The cost is fifty dollars for the tickets still until Friday. After Friday, the price will change, so we advise people to go and get the tickets. Tickets go in stores tomorrow."

Jose Sanchez

"From what time to what time is this concert/party?"

DJ Dalla

"Well the concert kicks off at ten 'til wee in the morning about four-five."

Jose Sanchez

"The album won't be available yet until May for sale?"

DJ Dalla

"No, it's a prerelease album party, but I haven't confirmed that as yet with him if the label will have the album available the night of the concert."

Jose Sanchez

"Are we gonna see his famous minister relatives, like Uncle Mike Finnegan?"

DJ Dalla

"His uncle will be there, his dad will be there, brother, sister, family, everybody along with all of us Belizeans because you know Shyne is like our brother; family."

Tickets are available at Cellular World, Bucks Best Buy, Record Shack, Venus and other music stores.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Shyne back in Belize and ready for Concert

The buzz in town is that Moshe Levi Ben will be staging a concert at the MCC grounds this Saturday night. Since his release from prison and deportation from the US, Ben David, who uses the stage name Shyne, lived briefly in Belize but long enough to be named Ambassador of Music. On Thursday, the gangster rapper and son of Prime Minister Dean Barrow, returned from Israel where has now taken up residence. The concert will also feature local musicians, Jamaican artists and promoters are advertising that some big names in Hip-Hop and R&B music will also take the stage. We caught up with Shyne as he reached out to the youths. News Five met him this morning after he spoke to students at the ITVET. He told us about the upcoming concert and said he is especially looking forward to performing one of his hits along with Barrington Levy.

Moshe Levi Ben David Aka "Shyne", Musical Ambassador

Moshe Levi Ben David "Shyne"

"For me to be here with one of my role models and one of my musical heroes is a dream come true."

Delahnie Bain

"What else do you have in store for the audience?"

Moshe Levi Ben David Aka "Shyne"

"We got a lot in store. We got Tanya Carter, who is one of favourite artists period; definitely my favourite artist in Belize, we got some young kids, some young Belizean talent that we're gonna showcase. We got the steel band, we got a live band; a Belizean live band that I’m performing with. We're gonna bring the youth orchestra out to do something. It's gonna be a night of-we got Black Rhyno, Chino, all these Jamaican artists; it's gonna be a nice event mein, really an experience, you're gonna get your money's worth."

Delahnie Bain

"And there are also some big names that we'd have to be there to find out about?"

"Yeah, mein. There was just a terrorist bombing in Miami so we're gonna have to reroute them and by God's grace, we're gonna have some people come through and surprise the Belizean audience."

Delahnie Bain

"This is also in celebration of the launch of your new album."

"Yeah, you know it's really the launch of the world promo tour; we're calling it the Music Education Rocks event because part of me putting an album out and part of me having success, it's my hope that I can use that success, poor kids throughout the world; but definitely Belize. Part of that is music education. The album will be out in September, Gangland, then we have Messiah coming out in the Spring of 2012 and just look forward to Shyne promoting Belize throughout the world, look forward to Saturday night when you're gonna have the Belizean talent, the Belizean musicians and we're gonna go back to our heritage and it will be a great night."

And while his status as Musical Ambassador has been criticized, particularly after he adopted Israel as his new home, Shyne told us today that he still considers Belize his homeland. But he says he has to be an international success to be able to really make a difference and help other local artists to boost their careers.

"It's great to be back home. You know, they always say absence makes the heart grow fonder so for me being in all these different cultures and all these different communities, you know what you love once you're away from it and there’s nothing better than Belize. Israel is right there cause Israel is the holy land so that's for everybody, all human beings but Belize is definitely my place. For me it was an escape; music was my way out, music was my reason to say no to selling crack and my reason to say no to blowing somebody's head off. So I would like to give that gift to Belizeans kids, who I relate to as one of them. And in order for me to do that, I gotta be successful. I can't be a local success or a local hero, I gotta be big on the charts like I once was, number one, biggest record, millions sold, in order to really help the Belizean people and all the people I wanna help. So this is the launch, me going back. I’m going to Paris, I’m going to Africa, I’m going to Germany, London, everywhere to promote Shyne, to promote Belize. You see every interview that I've done since I've left Belize, I have the Belizean flag beside me and I’m talking about Belize but I have to go and like I said, launch the re-establishment of Shyne. And look forward to coming back cause this is not the last concert. I’m gonna come back again and hopefully I'll be even bigger then and bring even bigger people. We'll shut down the whole Belize for real, for real. This is just the warm up, the launch concert and we wanna come back at the end of the year with something even more spectacular. So look forward to more Shyne, more of Belize being a global brand and Belizean artists having the opportunity for the Wyclefs and for the Bustas and all my friends to come down and hear them and see what’s going on here. So God bless all of you and I hope to see you Saturday night."

But on Shyne's return, he's been met with a lawsuit for a hundred and fifty-nine thousand dollars, which for debts while he resided at the Renaissance Towers.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Shyne's Homecoming Concert

The rapper Shyne has been in Israel for the past few months, the place that the orthodox Jew calls his spiritual homeland. His official passport, however still says Belize on it, and he returned home yesterday in preparation for a major concert to launch his upcoming album.

We found him this morning at ITVET talking to some members of the youth apprentice-ship programme - and he told us about the concert as a dream coming through:

Shyne, Artist
"It's not so much a show for me, as it is a dream come-true for me. I remember as a kid, I used to go to all these different events, whether it be soccer or the reggae artists coming in and performing. And I remember listening to the music pounding out the speakers, and being in the field and saying; I wish I could be on that stage performing. My heart would start to beat (faster) just thinking about it. So for me, to be here doing my first concert is a dream come true. Because, even though I've been in Israel, and Israel is the home of my ancestors and where my soul is, Belize is on par with Israel. No matter what the religious significance Israel has, Belize will always hold top priority in my heart. So it's good to be back, it's good to do my first show, preparing for my first album that's coming out after so many years of not being able to live my dream, it's really a dream come true. I'm inspired that I'm not Jay Z right now; I'm not getting a couple million dollars to do show. I haven't sold 10's of millions of records; I'm not on the level that I need to be. And that's very important the Belizean people to understand when they measure what I want to do for them as a patriot and as a person that's fortunate, and what at this point, I can do. And in order to get to the point where I can do everything that I want to do for kids - for our nation, for tourism, for everything - I got to be on a triple A game. I never really hit my zenith, I've been a baller-potential my entire career, and I did a couple million records, but i could do 10's of millions of records. But I got to be able to work; that's why no one sees me as much as they would like to in Belize. I don't want to be in Belize with an empty hand; I want to be in Belize in a position to transform the economy, to transform live, and really do something. It hurts me to be here and not be able to do as much as I would like to do but I know, as I was telling these kids, if I go out there, and I work hard, promote, perform, I will be in a position, very shortly, to do all the things that I promised myself I would do for Belize. Music was my escape; it was my way out of desolation, despondency, and hopelessness. And even as we sat here today, we don't know each other that well, but the first thing we connected on was that we both liked the same song making an instant connection. So, with these kids, they may not fit in and have the odds stacked in their favor, but music - I know the Foreign Minister, Elrington, is very big on his orchestra, the Governor General - music is really an alternative kids picking up that gun and blowing your head off."

Jules Vasquez
"The million-dollar question is who the special featured artist that is coming is?"

Shyne
"You have to buy a ticket and show up on Saturday night."

Jules Vasquez
"Belizeans are aware of what they call 'cats in the bag'."

Shyne
"At the end of the day, only God can guarantee anything, but we're looking forward to having an extra-ordinary night and extra-ordinary guest."

DJ Dalla, Show Promoter
"Shyne has 2 or 3 international reggae, RnB, hip hip acts that he is bringing in. We also have Barrington Levy, Black Rhino, Chino, and others already here. We also have a host of Belizean artists including Black Chiny, Belizean Movements, Tag International; it's a full show. I'll advise to go on out and get your tickets; get ready for a big show tomorrow. What happened was that were just doing it on our level, and Shyne and Def Jam stepped in. They wanted to do it at the next level. Hence, they moved it from the poolside and put it at the MCC, because they see it as a big show, and he is bringing in BET personnel and different others. He said that this is going to be shown globally after this. So I think this is the thing that will set himself back on the map from here at home."

Jules Vasquez
"Do you know who the special featured artist is?"

Show Promoter
"No Jules, I don't know."

Jules Vasquez
"Does the mystery intrigue you or does it concern you?"

Show Promoter
"Well both, kinda, because has been calling me wanting to know who it is; I want to know myself. It does kinda worry me because you know how Belizean people go. You are saying that you are bringing this and if you don't then - but it's all up to Shyne."

Up to news time we still could not confirm who the mystery guest artists are - but the names Foxy Brown, Busta Rhymes and Wyclef have been thrown around - again though, that's just what we've heard. The concert takes place tomorrow night at the MCC.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Shyne Concert Was a Bust

Saturday night at the MCC was supposed to be the concert of the year; it was supposed to be history; Shyne was having his album launch concert in Belize and he was bringing two r&b - slash - rap artists from the US to celebrate with him. The hype was great - people were saying it would be his label mates Rihanna, maybe even Jay - Z, then Busta Rhymes, Foxy Brown, maybe even Wyclef.

But as great as the hype was, so was the mystery - Shyne didn't tell anyone who his special guest would be - so great was the element of surprise.

But the real surprise was for his Belizean promoter, DJ Richie - who got the news no special guest was coming at 6:00 on Saturday evening, hours before showtime.

It is the greatest let down in memory - comparable to when Mavado didn't come last year - which was also, regrettably, a DJ Richie Production.

So what went wrong? And who's to blame? Both sides are pointing fingers; Richie sent out a release calling it a scam that Shyne was running on him, while Shyne's label sent out a release saying that Richie hadn't paid Shyne to time.

Today Richie and some of the other performers called us to the Princess for a sit-down to give their side of the story:

Jules Vasquez
"Belizeans are aware of what they call 'cats in the bag'."

Shyne
"At the end of the day, only God can guarantee anything, but we're looking forward to having an extra-ordinary night and extra-ordinary guest."

DJ Dalla, Public Relations
"It does kinda worry me because you know how Belizean people go. You are saying that you are bringing this and if you don't then - but it's all up to Shyne."

Jules Vasquez Reporting
But Shyne didn't deliver - no special artist came - and that has left the show's promoter DJ Ritchie in a credibility crisis :

Isodoro "DJ Ritchie" Galvez - Po People Entertainment
"I am not sure, I am not aware of what happen with the R n' B/ Hip Hop artist them, all I know is that the Miami airport got lock-down, that's all I know. But all I wanted for was for Shyne to come out and say 'Belize, I apologize'"

And speaking today to Ritchie, Black Chiney, Chino, Black Rhino and their booking agent - it's on Shyne, not Ritchie

Jules Vasquez
"A lot of people say 'it's on Ritchie' it is Ritchie that let us down. What's your response to that?"

"Well I mean outright you are going to blame the promoter right but then in this situation it's not just me in this show. My part of the show as you can see here are here, Rhino reach here, Chino reach here, Black Chiney reach here. My responsibilities were done. I got everything together, the ground work set - I am not pointing fingers and blaming Shyne but it's just that his part never came through. I even paid 5 first class tickets to Barrington Levy, his management and everybody reach, but he didn't reach because of the situation in Miami with explosion of the gas tank at the airport. But all we want is something from Shyne to clear out my name because now people are pointing direct to me."

Rhino, Black Rhino Sound
"We apologize on behalf of Ritchie to the Belizean people for what happen, we know there is a misunderstanding about the RnB artist and honesty Belize it's not the promoter fault, it's not Ritchie fault."

Bobby Chin, Black Chiney Sound
"At the end of the day the people that pay their money to come at the gate, no matter what we say to them they spend their money and they didn't get what they spend their money for. We can be here all day talking about this. But you know how people are in Belize, if you say you are going to give them "A, B,C" you make sure that "C" is not missing or "B". You have to give them "A,B,C" but as Shawn said it's not Ritchie fault. At the end of the day he was the person that was upfront. So the person that is up front will get the blame."

"My people are here - I did my job."

Jules Vasquez
"So how would you respond to people who said 'we bought a ticket expecting all these people but also an international RnB artist'?"

"We found out about 6 o' clock on Saturday evening that this is it that we have right here. We left the price at the door at $50, because the plan was to raise it to $70. We left it at $50 so everybody can enjoy the package. I think it was a fair deal with Rhino, Chino, Black Chiney and Shyne and all entertainment for $50, so we leave it at that but I personally still have to apologize. Although it's no way my fault, because now for me it's going to be hard for me to do another show."

Sharon Williams, Booking Agent - Chino & Black Rhino
"Ritchie believe Shyne. Even when we were asking Ritchie that we think it's a partner that we need to know who is coming. We all just kept relying on Shyne. I was sitting there at the TV station when Shyne told Belize - when ask who it was - that's this was going to be the biggest surprise ever and we all just kept hanging on to his words. I want to make the point that Ritchie did not ask me to do this interview. I ask to do this interview because I think it is important that Belize know that what happen had nothing to do with Ritchie. Ritchie is only guilty of believing what Shyne said. That's what he is guilty of and he was almost alone in that. On Sunday before I left Jamaica, Ritchie call me to say that Shyne's ask that the show be moved to the MCC Grounds across the street because he was bringing these two huge jacks and he didn't think the Princess poolside could accommodate the crowd that would come in response to this. I was here from Wednesday and I can witness that this change of venue cause Ritchie to almost double his expenses. It has particularly upset me because I know that because of it they have lost a lot of money and I don't think it's their fault and I am a Jamaican but it is my opinion that Shyne should help them to recover from this because the additional expenses that they incur in the last 4 days were for no other reason other than he ask them to do it. I am particularly upset that Shyne has not come forward to clear his name or his management because they know that they derail the show. There is no doubt about it."

"We will not leave him (Ritchie) under the bus, we will clear his name, his credit is good with us."

Jules Vasquez
"Shyne will stay under the bus?"

"Well I don't know Shyne personally. That is up to Belize."

"Right now all I want is that Shyne put out a press release 'saying that it's beyond anybody's control' it's not my fault, it's not anybody's fault. Just say that in the future something is coming for the Belizean people. We are going to bring it. And clear everybody's name and I believe with that we could work it. That's all I want and for him to have some kind of leniency with me knowing that I spent so much money and I believe so much in him and right now I'm down to the ground."

Sharon Williams, Booking Agent - Chino & Black Rhino
"And yet all you want is an explanation. That blows my mind."

Jules Vasquez
"Would you engage in a promotion with Shyne again?"

"Boy, from day as I went to my investors and sponsors - everybody shakes their head when I mention Shyne, but believe that this could have happen. I was the few that said that a show could happen with Shyne. Everybody says to me 'Ritchie, I hope you know what you are doing, Ritchie, watch out' I was hard headed, I still went through, I believe in it and as the end of the day this is what it ended up to. Now how am I to go back to my sponsors now and say I want to do another show? How am I going to do that? I am just a ghetto youth; I don't have a rich family. I am trying."

Jules Vasquez
"You only name Ritchie."

"I only name Ritchie. I am trying, I am far from live up to it, I am just trying that's all and its rough for a ghetto youth in Belize to go to somebody and say we want money to do this or do that. It's rough, you know that."

DJ Richie sent out a release this evening saying that Shyne left the country for Israel on Sunday "in haste." The release says that Richie's company, quote "categorically disassociates itself from this Shyne scam."

Well Shyne's Label Gangland records has issued its own release, saying, quote:

"Throughout the entire process DJ Richie conducted himself in a highly unprofessional manner�He failed to meet payment deadlines crucial to the timely purchase of the airfare for Shyne�." It continues:

"Shyne performed despite not being duly compensated as per his contract agreement with DJ Richie."

Quite incredibly, the release makes no mention at all of the special guest artists who Shyne himself promised. Richie's release says that he paid over fifty thousand dollars to Shyne and his management team to perform in Belize.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Shyne Blasted by Belizean Fans for Failed Concert

Shyne was all set to perform a coming home concert in Belize Saturday night (March 26), after living in Israel for months, but the much-hyped event went so poorly that nearly everyone involved has been blasting each other via local interviews and press releases for the past two days.

"It's not so much a show for me, as it is a dream come-true," Shyne told a local news organization before the concert. "At the end of the day, only God can guarantee anything, but we're looking forward to having an extraordinary night with extraordinary guests."

However, that dream quickly took a turn towards nightmare status. The lineup filled with "extraordinary guests" never showed up for the event, leaving Shyne empty-handed. While waiting, rumors swirled that everyone from Jay-Z to Wyclef Jean would be appearing at the gig. After no one other than Shyne and a few local openers showed, a disappointed crowd turned unruly and many demanded their $50 admission price back.

The promoter, DJ Richie, says that he worked out the bill with Shyne so that he could provide local entertainment and the former Bad Boy rapper would provide the international talent. "My responsibilities were done," he said. "I got everything together. I'm not pointing fingers and blaming Shyne, but it's just that his part never came through."

Meanwhile, Shyne claims that DJ Richie never came through with the money promised. While he did perform a short set at the gig, the disappointed crowd and immediate backlash led to the rapper's departure back to Israel the next morning.

"Throughout the entire process, DJ Richie conducted himself in a highly unprofessional manner," a statement from Shyne's management revealed. "He failed to meet payment deadlines crucial to the timely purchase of the airfare for Shyne. Shyne performed despite not being duly compensated as per his contract agreement."

Despite his exile from the U.S., Shyne has been forging his musical comeback. Earlier this month he released the short film/music video for the new track, 'The Original.' The video was shot outside of Mexico City, and, according to its director Taj Stansberry, was about "keeping your faith during chaos."

the Boombox

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
whattaya say we politicize a concert that disappointed folks? head shaking....

The Opposition, People's United Party (PUP) is calling on Prime Minister Dean Barrow to immediately recall music and goodwill ambassador Jamal "Shyne" Barrow. According to a release from the PUP, in April 2010 Shyne was appointed Music Ambassador despite public discontent. The release goes on to say just after his appointment Shyne announced that he had personally deposited $100,000 of his money to a fund established to develop local talent and nothing else has been heard of the fund. The Opposition says instead of positive recognition, the Music Ambassador has disgraced himself and embarrassed a nation already struggling for positive recognition.

Patrick E. Jones

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Shyne Blames Promoter for Concert Fiasco in Belize

Shyne blames the concert promoter for his recent concert bust in Belize.

This past Satruday March 26, recently released emcee Shyne was slated to perform at the MMC concert hall in his home country of Belieze. For much of the week before the show, Shyne and the concert promoters had been touting a number of special guest appearances, with a number of sources even indicating that Busta Rhymes, Wyclef Jean or even Jay-Z would join the Def Jam emcee on stage.

According to a Belize news station, however, Shyne failed to deliver his promise at last week's event. 7 News Belize has reported that Shyne and promotor Isodoro "DJ Richie" Alvarez learned just six hours before none of the rumored guest artists would be attending the performance. Now, both Shyne and Galvez are blaming each other for the concert performance bust.

"Well I mean outright you are going to blame the promoter right, but then in this situation it's not just me in this show," said Alvarez. "My part of the show as you can see here are here...my responsibilities were done. I got everything together, the ground work set - I am not pointing fingers and blaming Shyne but it's just that his part never came through. I even paid 5 first class tickets to Barrington Levy, his management and everybody reach, but he didn't reach because of the situation in Miami with explosion of the gas tank at the airport. But all we want is something from Shyne to clear out my name because now people are pointing direct to me."

Representatives for Shyne responded to Alvarez's accusations, saying, "Throughout the entire process DJ Ritchie conducted himself in a highly unprofessional manner...he failed to meet payment deadlines crucial to the timely purchase of the airfare for Shyne. Shyne performed despite not being duly compensated as per his contract agreement with DJ Ritchie."

HipHopDx.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.