Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#404297 04/07/11 10:58 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get a question or two answered. My wife and I are coming for a 3 month stay and I plan to fish as much as possible, I was thinking of bringing my fillet knife so that I can clean my catch but I don't want to run afoul of customs. Any idea if I will have trouble? Also, is anyone willing to teach me how to clean conch? I don't plan on scouring the ocean for food everyday but if i can nab dinner on occasion I'd like to know how to clean it and how to tell what is legal size. I've been to SP previously and I've always fished with a guide, but I can't afford to do that everyday so I'd really like to find a generous soul that would let me pick their brain for a while. Thanks in advance!

Conch shell must be 7+ inches and the season is closed Conch from the beginning of July to the end of September. Immigration won't hassle you about a filet knife.

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks! Also looking for a kayak to buy/lease/rent long term. I know this isn't a standard offering but if you all know of some one willing to deal a bit, I'd love to have their info for when I get there (mid May).

Re the fishing laws and seasons, at Mathieu's Delicatessen we have a small wallet sized Seafood Guide to Belize which also has a section on "why you should care" and a section on Lionfish. It outlines the fish and seafood which have a complete ban, closed seasons, size and catch limits and special laws and permits including web links.

Mathieu's Delicatessen

Gunter the original & best.... baker, chef: breads, breakfast, lunch, FOOD!
S
S
It's the airlines that will give you the problem with the knife not customs. You can buy various qualities here at Captain Shark's

Here's the Seafood Guide we provide our clients:

Seafood Guide for Fishing in Belize
You can make a difference. Supply and Demand. If the consumer knows the proper seasons for seafood in Belize they are better equipped to make decisions at the restaurant or on their fishing trip. BY ensuring your local guides and restaurants comply with Belize's Fishery Laws you are helping to protect commercial seafood species for generations to come. While we are making strides in mariculture options they can never replace natural stocks which still need more protection now and forever.
Complete Ban - Coral - All Parrotfish - Blue Tang - Surgeon Fish - Permit - Tarpon - Bone Fish - Marine Turtle (all species) -Whale Shark - All Marine Mamals - Diced Conch - Diced Lobster
Closed Seasons - Conch July 1st to Sept 30th - Lobster February 15th to June 14th - Nassau Grouper - December 1st to March 31 Wild Shrimp (trawler sources; farm shrimp is legal all year around) July 14 - March 14th - Hickatee May 1st to May 31st
Catch & size limits - Conch Shell Length > 7 inches Market Clean > 2.5oz - Lobster Cape Length > 3 inches Tail Weight 2.75 oz - Nassau Grouper Must be 20 - 30 inches only. Must be landed whole (no fillet)
Special Laws and Permits - All fishermen must have a valid license. You must be a Belizean Citizen or permanent resident in order to obtain a fisheries permit. Sea Cucumber requires a special permit. Fish Fillet must have skin patch left on 2inch by 1 inch. No fishing while using artificial breathing devices (scuba gear or hookah) In Marine Protected areas several restrictions on fishing gear apply: no nets, no longlines, no traps. Belizelaw.org Chapter 2105

SimonB #404332 04/07/11 03:34 PM
K
K
We've brought filet knives without a problem,just pack in your check-in.

Mathieu's Delicatessen I applaud your initiative to have a seafood guide. What a great idea! Is there any chance you could publish its content here? Thanks.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

S
S
collyk, it's a small pamphlet put out by Fisheries and most of the contents are in my post except the pictures.

SimonB #404368 04/07/11 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by SimonB
collyk, it's a small pamphlet put out by Fisheries and most of the contents are in my post except the pictures.

Does it detail regulations pertaining to the Ceviche fishing season?

SimonB #404401 04/08/11 09:03 AM
Here's what I have on file since 2009 from the Hol Chan office... I need to check for an updated copy. Belize Fishing Regulations

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.