Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I put this post on the TRAVEL section, too. I hope that I did not violate a rule doing so.:) I want to experience Ambergrise Caye and then return home when I am ready. But, one way fares and open tickets are very costly. My research shows me that I can fly round trip from Los Angeles to Belize City for about $750 inclusive. Around $700 one way! I can cut the one-way costs by flying from LA to Cancun one way for about $225 inclusive. A nice bus to Belize City makes good sense here but I am still looking at regional airlines for the run from Cancun to Belize City. Maya Island Air offers a fare for $261 inclusive one way. Are there alternative flights for less? Renting a car would be great if I could turn it in in Chetumal but I could not find an agency that offered that. There could be alternatives one of YOU might know of. Hence, this post. No doubt there have been similar questions on this site before but I skimmed through and did not see the answers to my particular concerns. So, as things stand, one-way to Cancun ($225); bus fare Cancun to Chetumal ($30 approx); water taxi from Chetumal to San Pedro ($35); various local bus and taxi fares to tie it all together ($15 approx) added up equals....$305! Not too bad! Does anybody care to add or suggest anything? Luckily, taking a few more(approx 6)hours to get there is all right with me. In fact I will enjoy it. One last thing, how is Belizean Customs handled going from Chetumal to San Pedro?? thanks bob s

Hi Bob,
I do this route all the time and yes, it is the most economical. However, you most likely will not be able to do this in one day. I recommend staying in Tulum for a night and then continuing your travel to San Pedro. The water taxi departs the terminal in Chetumal at 3:30 so you will need to check with the ADO website to see bus times and what time you will be able to arrive in Chetumal. So you will need to factor in accommodations.

D
D
Or use AA miles, and leave LAX at 6:50am, and toes in the sand by 4:50 ! I LOVE AC

DC

B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Decompression
Or use AA miles, and leave LAX at 6:50am, and toes in the sand by 4:50 ! I LOVE AC

DC

Congratulations Decomp but I have no AA miles frown bob p.s. i expect to love it too, 1st timer.

S
S
Just and fyi that most airlines require a return flight (at least a reservation) when departing from the US.... and less than 30 day stay. If you search on this site, you can see the dialog.

B
bobble Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
Just and fyi that most airlines require a return flight (at least a reservation) when departing from the US.... and less than 30 day stay. If you search on this site, you can see the dialog.

My search did not turn up a discussion like that. What are you referring to with the word "just"? I don't understand. I cannot imagine why any airline would be interested in and/or try to influence my travels. They make it expensive as possible to fly one way and I do understand why they do that, though. thank you snoopysmom......by the way did you adopt any chickens and if so how does snoopy feel about it? bob

G
G
It's not the airlines...remember those guys, Homeland Security? Well, those people that are thought to bomb planes or make them into bombs, don't need roundtrip tickets. And, they don't plan to come back. So now you need to plan to come back.....as if that criterion would stop the bad guys.
Also, foreign countries don't want to be put upon by immigrants to those countries that they don't want. So, countries don't want you to have one way tickets either.

Last edited by GwenA; 04/17/11 03:30 PM. Reason: Addition
S
S
Gwen is correct;
What I meant to say was: The first obstacle will be at the checkin counter at the airport.... if you do not have a return flight within 30 days, you will be not be allowed to travel unless you purchase one (and yes, this happened to me).

G
G
I have trouble too sometimes because some of my round trip tickets originate in Belize, now. I was bumped once domestically, and when the airlines re ticketed it, it was one way...I was frisked every leg of a trip from St Louis, to someplace, to B'more!

S
S
From the US embassy website:

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in Belize and a proof of return to the U.S. No visas are required for citizens of the United States for tourist visits of up to 30 days, but they must have onward or return air tickets and proof of sufficient funds to maintain themselves in Belize. Visitors for purposes other than tourism, or who wish to stay longer than 30 days, must obtain visas. All tourists and non-Belizean citizens are required to pay an exit fee of U.S. $39.25 (payable in U.S. dollars only). Belize allows visitors a maximum of one month's stay in the country before they require an extension. No specific immunizations are required for visitors to Belize. Visit the Embassy of Belize website for the most current visa information.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.