Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
US funds at 125 - 150 a s.f. sounds steep cause you can get a house built in the USA for that.I have seen the construction there and it is not worth 125 a s.f.
Someone is ripping the islanders off here.

I am not saying I can it for less but in a country where the average wage is about what 3.50 an hour ? That is a lot of clear blue profit for the boss there.

R
ron Offline
R
This topic has been discussed ever since I've been on reading it. Most people are giving you there own experience. I know Dane's house and it is very nice I also know how much was done by Dane. I built a house on the North island of Caye Caulker and my house cost considerably more.Of course I also have a wind turbine, solar panels and batteries. Adds to my cost. People living up in San Pedro have different costs Some much higher than even the $125 per square foot. You can buy a Mennonite house for $10,000 or spend $4 million big range. Everyone sets their own comfort level of how they want to live. You should come down and talk to builders here and then show everyone what a great house you can build. San Pedro and Caye Caulker have a wide range of housing you have to decide how much you can afford. Good luck in your quest.

G
G
The reason I know it higher end building can be the price I gave, is I started building my house five and a half years ago, right after the GST went up. We managed $100 a square foot, and ours wasn't the most high end. Even though it's nice...it's a middle priced house. It has some high end finishing, and some high end structural quality, but it is definitely not high end.
You couldn't build our house for that price today...probably $120 a square foot.
The labor isn't here any more, Tie One On, at the price you quoted. After the mini housing boom that ended when the economy sunk, all the cheap labor went home. They didn't come fro me Belize, probably El Salvadore and Honduras. It costs a lot to do anything in San Pedro, with the high cost of fuel, steel, and Belizean labor.
Ambergris Caye isn't cheap anymore, even if it ever was.

N
NGM Offline
N
We have looked at buying on Ambergris for years, visit at least twice a year and are also of moderate means. We found that we could afford a condo or even a house comfortably, but we could not afford the monthly costs of water, electric, cable, phone and internet! They add up quickly.
We have since found that long-term rentals are the way to go if you can find one that has all those costs included. Just a thought. Good luck!

C
C
We have been homeowners on Caye Caulker for about 7 yrs and find utilities, cable etc very cheap compared to U.S. Our small two story house with two units cost us about $40 U.S a month in electric. Cable with over 60 channels cost about $16 US a month. Our property taxes for the house and larger size lot is $150 US a year. We pay nothing for water as we are happy with our well and buying drinking water for $2.00 for 5 gallons. The highest expense is internet..high speed is $50US a month. The big money saver is no car, no gas. No summer to winter transitions..clothes etc. Maintenance as in yard service, house up keep like painting etc is cheap, qualified workers charge about $5,00 an hour. or $40 for a 10 hr day. We have our favorite 4 to 5 eating spots we often order take out for dinner for $5.00 or less. The major upset is the cost of wine but we have adjusted and accepted the loss.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
D
D
I have built seven buildings here on Caye Caulker, including the high school.It is cheaper to build here. Some transplanted Pedranos have built over here with Pedro workers and we laughed at the way their construction costs ran double!
Our living costs are the same as Coopers Her post tells it all.

D
D
Here is link to Tobar
http://www.belize-construction.com/buildings.html
Click on the link on the upper right for his affordable speciality "wooden house with road"
and a price list from Plett in BZ dollars- not always current

http://www.mauricefield.net/belize/plett.shtml

Would someone mind sharing the differences in insurance costs? Does it depend on the area... crime rates, distance from fire dept. etc like in the States; or is it mostly based on wood vs. concrete?

"Earth is an insane asylum, to which other planets deport their lunatics" Voltaire
OP Offline
Dane -

Thanks for sharing those links. Those houses are plenty for 'Motel 6' type people like us. The luxury comes from the island not the house. We just love life. And even more after my wife being diagnosed with cancer last year (she's kicking its butt) Im sure with our modest means, we would fit in with locals moreso than other ex pats. smile

C
C
Our house is in Maya Beach, just north of Placencia, and we ended up paying around $85.00 USD per sq. ft for a concrete house and we did not skimp on any part of the building.
Our insurance comes to about $1500.00 USD/year and the insured value of the house is around $250,000 USD. RF&G Insurance is who we use. We have total coverage (hurricane, fire, flooding, earthquake, liability, etc.)

Last edited by catdance62; 04/20/11 12:20 PM.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.