Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kmsqrd Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband and I are looking to move to Belize later this year or the first of next year. We initially thought of making AC our home but have since considered Caye Caulker and Corozal. Can anyone advise or give a general idea of the "personality" of each place? Thanks in advance.

"Earth is an insane asylum, to which other planets deport their lunatics" Voltaire
C
C2C
C2C
C
Caye Caulker: tourists, reef, island, more expensive, fair number of restaurants and bars, 3 hours from Mexico
Corozal: no tourists, no reef, no island, less expensive, just as many restaurants and bars but all Chinese, 1/2 hr from Mexico

They are pretty much poles apart. You really need to consider your preferences first and perhaps ask if there is a spot that matches closely. What are you looking for?

If you're a tourist in Caulker, the personality won't be much of a concern. But if you're gong to stay a while, that's a different story and you do well to ask. Depends how well you communicate and integrate into a foreign society. You have done that before, yes? If you're not sure, I think you'll have an easier transition in Corozal and can look at Caulker later.

kmsqrd Offline OP
OP Offline
The distance to Mexico...? For shopping, entertainment? We expect once monthly or less, but know little of supplying ourselves once we are there. We do stay in San Pedro about once a year and do some of our own cooking. So the markets there are familiar.

"Earth is an insane asylum, to which other planets deport their lunatics" Voltaire
P
P
How can you decide to move somewhere, without having been there for a while, without having experienced what it feels like to live there for a longer time, without knowing if you like it or not..... ???????

You would be amazed how many people just pick up and move.

I don't have the inclination to do that - and with kids, house, pets etc the freedom to make that choice isn't in the cards.

I hope they find what they are looking for or have a great fun adventure along the way.

R
ron Offline
R
I have visited SP many times and built a house on the north island of CC never been to Corozal. Each place is different, to some proximity to Mexico and shopping there is important, to some the isolation of the north island of CC is what they seek. You should come and stay at each place your thinking of living for 6 months then make your decision to stay at one or the other. You might start at Corozal and never make to the other places since you might fall in love with it. It doesn't seem as though you have to decide at this point, investigate all the places and when you find the place stop looking.

C
C2C
C2C
C
Originally Posted by kmsqrd
The distance to Mexico...? For shopping, entertainment?

Yes. And food. Depends what you want. Some find Belize lacking...or too expensive for what you get but given this statement...
Originally Posted by kmsqrd
We [..] do some of our own cooking.

You'll be far better off in any Belizean tourist-centric town. Corozal will definitely wear thin in the restaurant department.

kmsqrd Offline OP
OP Offline
We're not crazy about the touristy parts of anywhere. We prefer the street markets and food vendors off the beaten path. We have never explored Caye Caulker, though we have been there as tourists for snorkeling. We love the small town feel of San Pedro and have stayed there often. It reminds me of growing up in small-town America; population 317. We enjoy our private evenings together but also really enjoyed the events at the town center park area.

We would like to live a basic life, which is our reason for moving. We want to escape the commercialization of everything here in America. Downsize, Downsize, Downsize!

Some other likes/dislikes...charity dinners & events (Lion's Club style, not $200 per plate); ballgames (cheap seats)-baseball; Am. Football, (might learn to love soccer?); we're both divers and beginning photographers; we don't really like really formal events and we both love animals. We like to get a little dirty and would like to do some caving/hiking etc. We usually take the bus through Mexico on our way to AC, more for the experience but also love to save money. My husband doesn't drink but I have a beer (or 4) now and then and we were introduced to BC's on one of our previous trips. Honestly, he and I are somewhat opposites when you first meet us-he makes a better first impression. Does that help?

C
C
Caye Caulker is more expensive than Corozal but much cheaper than San Pedro. San Pedro ..Ambergris Caye is much larger but still a hustle and bustle place..lots of traffic and comparatively high prices..too many cars. However if you are from a very large metropolitan city, L.A. Chicago. New York etc. It would be laid back. San Pedro is a more compacted busy place than I am used to, growing up in Hawaii..25 yrs their and Montana. I love Caye Caulker because of its slow pace and community. On the other hand I appreciate why folks like San Pedro. Alot more to do, more fine dining restaurants, coffee bars, even a playhouse so more culture.More festivals, poker runs. We could never retire and just read books, we are blessed with the success of our Art Gallery. On Caye Caulker the opportunity to keep a busy mind may be less, unless you appreciate Go Slow. Some do some dont.
Yet you have to live here for awhile, OMG dont pull up roots and move down until you have answered your own questions on your own...

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
kmsqrd Offline OP
OP Offline
From what I've found, traveling across to Mexico can get costly. Exit fees from Belize (still $40 BZE?), Exit fees from Mexico? Times two. About $150 plus whatever we do there. Isn't there also high duties on things you bring back? Seems like going to Mexico may be a yearly (maybe 2-3) trip. Are these amounts correct?

What if I wanted a good quality, restaurant grade blender? The cost in San Pedro vs. going to Mexico? Corozal? Maybe Belize City?

What about the QRP program? Can one spouse participate without automatically including the other? I think that negates the exit fees for the participant, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day