Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40661 06/11/01 02:20 PM
R
Raven Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am getting married in Feb 2002 and thinking of going to Ambergris Caye for our honeymoon. I think we are going to stay in the Banyan Bay Villas - does anyone have any comments about the resort or experiences there? We went to Roatan on a cruise and got eaten alive by sand fleas - we weren't warned by the cruise line. Are the Belize beaches the same way? I keep seeing grass in pictures of the water. What are the beaches like? Is the water really shallow everywhere?

#40662 06/11/01 02:47 PM
C
C
Raven,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. I just returned from AC and loved it but if you're looking for a great beach and water to swim in from the beach, you might want to consider somewhere else. BBV is beautiful and they have a nice pool but there is grass in all the water that I saw and not too many places to get in and swim from the beach. You really have to go out to the end of the pier to swim. Good luck on your planning!

#40663 06/11/01 03:59 PM
R
Raven Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank goodness I asked! I am looking for sandy white beaches (with no biting sand fleas)and good swimming. Hmmm now I am back to square one huh?! Oh well, I have awhile to look around. Are there any other places you would recommend?

#40664 06/11/01 04:16 PM
N
N
I just got back from my wedding/honeymoon in Belize. It was a wonderful experience, but I agree if you want sandy beaches and water to swim in, Belize may not be the place for you. I lived in the Virgin Islands for a year and would highly recommend a vacation there. St. John is beautiful and wonderfully laid back. You may also want to check out the British Virgin Islands. Virgin Gorda has some beautiful places to stay. For an extra relaxing, completely secluded place, try Cooper Island Beach Resort. The island has 6 permanent residents with nothing but the resort on it. I have also been to Grand Cayman and loved it there, although it rained most of the time we were there (don't go at the end of May). Hope this helps. Just let me know if you want anymore info.

#40665 06/11/01 05:19 PM
Grand Cayman does have nice beaches altho, it can be expensive. We stayed at Treasure Island and the people were very friendly and helpful. Great rum punch!!!

#40666 06/11/01 06:56 PM
C
C
Raven...great name..I have been to St. Martin/St.Marteen twice and loved it. Orient beach is a kick in the pants.It's a nude optional beach. Great white sand beaches with really nice swimming. There are other nice beaches too. It's also fun because of the 2 different sides. French and British. Great food too. Rent a car and drive all over. Another place with nice beaches is Can Cun. A little on the tourist side but can be fun. We took the local buses around. Anguilla is quite, with white, white beaches with the bluest water you can imagine. Cayman's can be fun but expensive. I think someone else said that too. I didn't care for St. Lucia that much, and I really didn't like Antigua. Expensive and I found the people to be unfriendly, and a lot of pan handling. St. John's I agree is very pretty. This is our first trip to AC and I'm really looking forward to it. Well, good luck and congratulations. Good Luck there too. Cherie

#40667 06/11/01 07:03 PM
There are some beautiful beaches with turquoise waters on the Mayan Riviera in Mexico. There are a number of attractive all-inclusives in the Playa del Carmen and Tulum areas.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#40668 06/11/01 08:56 PM
M
M
Raven..The best beaches we have ever seen are in Cancun and the Mayan Riveria (Cancun has the best...clear blue water,white beaches, absolutely beautiful. Don't go to AC for the beaches, they aren't that great. Go for the laid back atmosphere,wonderful natives, great food. I think you might be happier on your honeymoon with Cancun and an all-inclusive..that is what I would do, and go to AC later for the snorkeling,diving, eating, ambiance. Just my two cents worth. Have been to both.

Mary and Scott
#40669 06/11/01 10:35 PM
Raven,

As a travel writer and publisher, I've been to most of the islands in the Caribbean and all of the Caribbean Coast countries except Nicaragua, and if you are looking just for a great, world-class beach, Belize isn't at the top of the list.

Angilla, the BVI, St. John in the USVI, the Caymans, the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, parts of Quintana Roo and Yucatan states in Mexico, some of St. Maarten/Martin, Antigua, among others have superior beaches.

But if one is sophisticated enough to want more than just a beach, Belize offers a great deal -- ruins, rainforest and reef, to start with -- and may be worth considering. Ambergris Caye is a great place, developed enough to make a pleasant vacation yet not like the overrun, overpriced, over-cruise shipped destinations like Grand Cayman, Coz, Cancun, St. Thomas, etc.

And sandfleas or even mosquitoes are rarely a problem in the popular areas of Ambergris Caye. It's also one-third the price of most of the fancier destinations islands in the Caribbean.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine
-and-
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide
-and-
UpClose Central America

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#40670 06/12/01 11:45 AM
R
Raven Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you all for the information - it has been extremely helpful. I still want to visit AC but probably not for my honeymoon like you said. I have been looking into Maya Riviera and it seems to be exactly what I am looking for! Thanks again for all your help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 261 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.