Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
And they are Off! The annual San Pedro Lagoon Reef Eco Challenge got off to a great start this morning, Saturday, May 14, 2011. Thirty three teams (a lot of teenagers) are paddling their way to the northern tip of Ambergris Caye. They are set to cross the finish line tomorrow around midday at Central Park. Stay tuned to Ambergris Today for full coverage.

CLICK FOR PICS

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Seafront Inn takes the top prize at the Eco-Challenge

The 7th Eco-Challenge Kayak Race saw 33 teams total participating in this much anticipated annual event.
Early Saturday morning, the teams gathered at the lagoon side of the island, ready to start the 42-mile, 2-day race.
Teams paddled through the many lagoons of Northern Ambergris Caye, up to Bacalar Chico and down to Robles Point.

Teams camped overnight and the next morning, the race continued to the finish line at Central Park.

This year's Senior first place winners are from Seafront Inn ($3k plus 1 round trip ticket on Tropic Air).

Following in Second Place was Tortugas de Coco Beach ($2k plus 1 round trip ticket on Tropic Air), and third place, A Toda Madre ($1k plus 2 round trip tickets on Tropic Air).

In the Junior Division, the first place was taken by Gonzalez Finishers, followed by El Pescador with Second Place, and third place, Searious Boys. Congratulations to all the participants and winners!!

The purpose of the race is to promote awareness, protection and conservation of mangroves, lagoons, reefs and the diverse species found in these natural habitats.

Thanks to the organizers of this great event, and see you in 2012!!

Read more and see LOTS MORE PICTURES here in The San Pedro Sun...

Sweet! Lots of tired muscles today...........

Can anyone knowledgeable tell me why there are no (or very damned few) sit -in as opppsed to sit-on-top ocean kayaks in SP?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
I was wondering also the 'real' style kayack are very fast, but i've never seen a two-man like that.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
You never saw a fast two-man "real"???

a small human-powered boat that traditionally has a covered deck.
Likea Eskimo!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayak

White Sands Dive Shop

yep for some reason these guys locally use the clunkers!

White Sands Dive Shop
S
S
Longevity and the ability to stand up to abuse would be my guess.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Sea Front Inn Jaguars, Punta Gorda Wins Eco Challenge

The title of Lagoon Reef Eco Challenge 2011 winner went to two Port of Honduras rangers from the Toledo District who today share the $3,000 cash prize and the bragging rights of besting 32 other teams in the gruesome two-day kayak race.

Team Sea Front Inn Jaguars, sponsored by Larry Smith, dominated the race from day one and it was clear that they were in the race to win it. Carlos Ramirez and Godfrey Alford took the lead in day one of the race when the kayaks took off from the starting line lagoon side on Saturday, May 14, 2011.

Once again, a large crowd gathered at the lagoon side to cheer for all the paddlers who took part in the grueling two-day challenge of kayaking around the northern part of the island and back to town the following day. This year the race was marked by very young competitors, no female teams and two single paddlers; the race consisted of senior and junior amateur competitors.

Team Sea Front Inn Jaguars was the first team to arrive at the midpoint station in Robles Point shortly after midday, awarding them the station prize of $400. All the teams camped out overnight at this pit stop to rejuvenate their energies as they kicked off early next morning heading towards the finish line at Central Park.

Hundreds of island residents were at the Central Park waiting for the paddlers to come in and cheered them on. Great music was provided by DJ Habo and there were lots to eat and drink, even some free Lion Fish provided by the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. The seventh annual kayak race also kick-started Reef Week which included another Lion Fish tournament.

With much exhaustion all the teams made it to the finish line; but there were some drop outs. Congratulations to all teams who participated.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.