Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#409039 06/01/11 09:48 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I've found a couple of price lists online but have to assume they are for Belize City rather than the Cayes. Anyone up for a quick game of price is right?

A bicycle (nothing fancy, just for me and the son to go for rides)
Coke
Cheap wine
Internet
Milk
regular letter to the states
1/2 lbs package to the states (minimal value)
1 lbs package to the states (minimal value)

Are North American electronics ok in Belize? Nothing odd about the electricty down there?

Lastly, I have been looking at the local paper and some websites, how do local belizeans rent apartments. I have seen very very few for rent. Just word of mouth for the most part?

Which Caye will you be on?
important point!
Allof Belize has North American Style electricity,just irregular:-)
A lot hotels have bikes for fees like 10.us per day.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by bungle613
I've found a couple of price lists online but have to assume they are for Belize City rather than the Cayes. Anyone up for a quick game of price is right?

A bicycle (nothing fancy, just for me and the son to go for rides)
Coke
Cheap wine
Internet
Milk
regular letter to the states
1/2 lbs package to the states (minimal value)
1 lbs package to the states (minimal value)

Are North American electronics ok in Belize? Nothing odd about the electricty down there?

Lastly, I have been looking at the local paper and some websites, how do local belizeans rent apartments. I have seen very very few for rent. Just word of mouth for the most part?

A gallon of Carlo Rossi white runs about $50.00 US in San Pedro and we buy it here in the states for about $10.00. No such thing as cheap wine.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Hi bungle613. These are mainly approximate costs of things I can help with. Bikes run at about $250. Coke about $1.75 for a small bottle. No such thing as 'cheap' wine in terms of price, but expect to pay around $30 for the least expensive. We pay $110/month for what's called 'high speed' internet. Milk is around $2.50-$3.00/litre. Not sure about weights and sizes of packages but for a CD sized letter, we pay $5.60. There are usually a number of properties for rent in the local classifieds. It's not a very big place, so you'll find that you don't have a huge choice. Word of mouth works too.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks all. We are looking at an extended stay to see if we like Belize starting in probably January 2012. It could very well be 6 months in Ambergris and 6 months in Caulker or possibly 6 months in Costa Rica.

I have seen some places for rent in Belizean dollars for what I would consider local living prices rather than tourist trade but yes, I have certainly noticed that there is not "alot" available.

Was expecting it to be expensive but not that expensive for "staples" That is fairly comparable to somewhere like Switzerland. Does anyone have a resource for pricing on the Cayes, either Ambergris or Caulker specifically or a generalization of Caye living vs mainland.

I have never seen this spelled out but it appears that most expats either run tourist related buinesses such as properties or are truly retired. True?

bungle613. It's considerably cheaper than it was in the UK here - by a long shot. I'm not sure how it compares to Switzerland, but it seems that it would be much cheaper than Switzerland also. Rent depends on the quality of accommodation you require. You can get a room with a private bathroom for $600/month or an air conditioned apartment without a view for $14-1500/month, or an air conditioned one bedroom condo on the beach for $2000/month. There are a number of excellent accommodation agencies listed on AmbergrisCaye.com. You'll probably get the best selection of options from them.

www.conchcreative.com

Please note that the prices being quoted for daily staples, bike etc are in Bzd.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Please note that the prices being quoted for daily staples, bike etc are in Bzd.

Cheers Diane. That makes alot more sense. Small panic attack for a second. lol

How are things going for you?

S
S
Are these prices for new bikes? We are moving there in November and at those prices would rather buy them there. Are they any cheaper in Belize city?

Surendra

Surendra. Yes they are prices for new bikes. The local bike is a Chinese made beach cruiser. Sometimes you can get a better deal on them in the City, but depending on how you bring them back - it may not prove cost effective.

www.conchcreative.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.