Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everybody. You may or not be aware that 15mins ago STARCHOICE began switching off all receivers outside of Canada.
Their reason for so doing is that the receivers are licensed for use in Canada only.
I am told that the receivers have a GPS chip in them which enables STARCHOICE to see they are located outside Canada.
Our local supplier Mike Cong at NETKING tells me there appears little chance of negotiation with STARCHOICE.
If anyone has any suggestions then I for one would be grateful to hear them. How this will affect cable users and other satellite services and internet access I have no idea.
For the moment there will be a number of individuals and hotels who will not be very happy.

C
C
Did Mike indicate that he is working on another provider for us?

C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
No. he was hoping that Starchoice might reconsider and call him back, but he did not sound confident.
Problem is that Direct Tv and Dishnet could decide to do exactly the same thing at any time. Technically we are (were) infringing the customer terms and conditions, so they are within their rights, legally at least.
The big question is what happens to cable providers as they get most of their programs from the same sources.
I have heard that some cable providers also supply a satellite service. I shall follow this up tomorrow.
The even bigger question is internet. If we lose that...Yikes!

B
B
The networks would be shooting themselves in the foot by putting GPS locators for any other reason than programming.
I find it hard to believe that the network in question has done this.

C
chris45 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well it is a fact that Starchoice have shut down service to Belize, and the reason given is that the receivers sold in Canada for domestic use are in fact being used in Belize. This contravenes their terms and conditions as well as copyright on certain programmes.
How they found out is not really the poimt. The fact is, they have found out.
Apparently they are using this technology to clamp down on multi system users in Canada who are paying one fee but using receivers at multiple addresses, second homes etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 254 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.