Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The annual skydiving event known as Boogie in Belize became such a big event in Belize and a positive impact on tourism that even the Belize Tourism Board gave it special recognition and endorsement. But sadly there will be no more Boogies in Belize; after its seventh annual straight run this past February, 2011, creator/owner Rich Grimm has made this announcement official this week.

Since the news started to spread through Facebook and other websites, Rich Grimm explained why he is now moving the Boogie in Belize to Nicaragua. He outlines the three main reasons why the Boogie is moving to a new location:

"Safety
The landing area is not safe to fly our parachutes into. It's getting way too crowded with "stuff."  That worries a lot of the jumpers that arrive for the first time. The winds also play havoc with us due to the Reef Village complex. When the wind comes off the lagoon side, we get strong rotors (wind chop) off of the condos. We are really limited by the wind direction now for good jumping days. Safety is reason number one. Unfortunately there isn't another area on the island that is north of the airstrip, on the ocean side and close enough for a quick trip back into the SunBreeze Hotel dock.

The new location in Nicaragua has a runway right next to a lovely all inclusive resort, right on the Pacific with miles of open beach to land on and acres of open grass area next to the runway.

Government Relations.
The Nicaraguan tourism board (INTUR) is handling all aspects of the boogie with their own civil aviation department. They are also providing our aviation fuel and a tanker for the event. They see the value in this and have assigned a high level staff person in their office to work with me directly. They want to make this into a national festival for the locals and visitors alike. INTUR will post it on their website and also get the word out to all of their contacts in the tourism industry. The Nicaraguan government is waiving all aviation fees for our jump plane. INTUR will be spending about $25,000usd promoting and sponsoring the event. This will be huge in keeping the cost low so the jumpers can spend more on local activities.

Logistics and Cost
The new site will make operations MUCH easier to oversee and control. We will have our own manifest, packing and dirt diving area in the resort. This will be right on the beach that we will land on. A tram will take the jumpers to the airstrip to await the plane. We won't have the added expense of a transport/safety boat. I won't have to barge a fuel truck out from the mainland. The jumpers will get 20 skydives and an extra night stay, plus all of their food and drinks for just $300 more than we charged in Belize for 17 jumps, nine nights and no food or drinks. We can also host the entire group at one hotel. That makes reservations MUCH easier for me. And the jumpers like the idea of all staying in the same location.

The "Boogie in Belize" events are legendary in skydiver lore now. The Blue Hole jump and other video and photos have done more for tourism to Belize than you can imagine. We have brought over one thousand participants in seven years. So many local business members and residents have helped me so much over the years. I thank them all. Without their support, "Boogie in Belize I" would have never happened and the following years would not have been as successful.

I'm not sure what the future holds for me in Belize. I would like to have a tandem operation for a few months each winter. We could also bring some smaller groups down and jump on Caye Caulker and other areas of the country. Belize is in my blood, like many of you reading this. I have made so many wonderful friends over the years. Hopefully a boogie will be back some time in the future."

Time will tell.
Reaper

Rich,

I have so enjoyed scheduling my yearly Belize trip to coincide with Boogie. 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 trips all were with you and the the Boogie. I will remember these adventures forever -- not just experiencing my first ever tandem jump, but getting to know you and all your friends.

I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

Good luck and take care!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Rich,

I know we have already talked about this, and I totally understand your position. It does sadden me, as we have had many of your jumpers stay with us, and have made some great friends in the process. San Pedro will miss you all, but I do understand your decision. Maybe we will just have to come and see you in Nicaragua. It sounds like the government there has done a great job to see that all your needs are met and taken care of!!

Breezy days, and safe landings.

XX

Change your Latitude
B
B
The Boogie was a great supporter of Be Kind Belize and many other important local causes. They brought a great group and a great spirit to San Pedro and will be sorely missed. Thank you for everything you have done for our community. I understand why you've moved but we hope you'll come back on day! The kids will certainly miss your generous donations of stuffed toys.

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?" Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Rich, I wish you well in Nicaragua. I've been deep in ressearch to visit Nica, and already can tell this will be a great place for you and your jumpers. You will give a big boost to tourism there as you did for AC. It's very easy to add on a trip to BZE on the way back from MGA so you can get your fix and visit the hundreds of friends you've made throughout the years.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
L
L
Nicaragua has been on my travel bucket list for some time, so going to make it happen next Spring. In my travels to other Central American countries, have heard nothing but good things, so will curious to know how it turns out. Would love to see pics, etc. when it happens.

That said, you are all still crazy to jump out of a perfectly good airplane! Go forth and conquer!

Please, please, please, LaurieMar, just tell me that Nic is not on your list for May!! Hot, hot, hot, fricken, hot, lol.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

There's no such thing as a perfectly good airplane! Airborne! laugh

The Immortal Words Of Socrates: I Drank What?
SS, agree that Nicaragua is hot, hot, hot in May - but so was Panama smile

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
L
L
Yes, Panama was hot, hot, hot; in fact, I don't remember it ever being that hot in my prior visits. It is also hot, hot, hot right here in Northern California! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.