Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#410243 06/20/11 03:23 PM
M
OP Offline
M
We were in CC the week before last, went to the north island expecting to see some development we were suprised how grown up it was, we did not see one human just blue crabs and Iguanas. What is the deal? I assumed it was moving along but looks like most buildings are stalled and/or for sale. Has the recession trashed all hopes for now? I know the electric has been put on hold as well. Any comments are greatly appreciated as the realtors still say "you gotta buy now" ??

D
D
North island has a 40yr history of folks building homes and then wishing they lived on South Island. Some guys like Ron understood what he was doing but many others preferred to believe the realtors pipe dreams about big development coming.
The first time a realtor told me the power was coming -but stalled- was in 1985. I have heard it every year since then.It is true of course. It has always been coming for 35 years.
If you like big empty place with no stores or infrastructure or transport then North Island or one of the more remote cayes like Long Caye is for you. If you want to go out for wine and dinner sometimes without trying to steer a boat home in a midnight driving rain, stick with south island.There are lots of remote places here as well.

Dane #410303 06/21/11 01:21 PM
H
hjl Offline
H
There is also no power in south caye caulker - and it´s good like it is.

M
M
I have been researching Caye Caulker for over a year now. Barb and I are seriously looking at the island as our retirement destination. We plan to return several times before making our final decision. Our next visit will be in August. We like the main island for its convenience, others want solitude. My humble opinion is that the property on the North Island is priced higher than market value at this time.

My words of wisdom are "don't let anyone rush you into a decision to buy property in a foreign country without first knowing what it is you are doing. Buying property in Central America is different than in North America. Realtors are not required to be licensed to sell property and anyone can claim to be a realtor. Remember...their job is to get your to buy! Your job is to know what you are paying for."

D
D
Well spoke.

Dane #410365 06/22/11 10:25 AM
Sounds like the perfect place to retire.

John deVerteuil
B
B
I know we have to check everything out, be sure this is right for us....in the meantime I hate waiting!! :-)

M
OP Offline
M
Yes, I am aware of the pitfalls. We have been considering Belize for some time. One thing that really shocked me on the north island was the trash on the beach, seems it would be easier to sell property if someone was hired cheaply to clean it up. I know it washes up on shore but it looks like nothing has been done for years.

R
ron Offline
R
I just got back from CC and spending a couple weeks on the quiet north island, its pretty much much like it was when I left a couple months ago. One of the reasons little activity is going on on the north island is the level of mosquito's was really high this time of the year. I was putting hurricane shutters up and it was brutal early morning and late evening. Not sure how enthusiastic I'd be cleaning the beach. And as far as I know the beach on the reef side of the island is privately owned with the owner not ready to make a big investment. Perhaps, the realtors who are urging everyone to buy now should hire a crew to clean - up the beach, they could also have them cut the grass in the road, etc.
There will be land on the north island for years. I tell everyone that asks don't buy unless its the piece of property of your dreams and your ready to build. The idea that its a good investment is a long term dream. Is there a shortage of property for sale? No, will property be worth more tomorrow not unless to create you own bidding war, because you have to have a particular piece of property. Otherwise, just keep looking whenever you come. At some point you'll see the right piece at the right price when your ready to build.

ron #410467 06/23/11 11:42 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Ron, yes the mosquitos were bad but bug spray seemed to be effective for a walk---dont know if I could handle that all the time though. I hope you all dodge those hurricanes !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day