Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#410398 06/22/11 06:57 PM
U
OP Offline
U
There is more and more noise pollution and one of the lasted threat is the increasing amount of ATV's in San Pedro.

The noise generated from ATV engines can reach sound levels of 80-115 dB, equivalent to a rock concert or a chain saw. The noise level that is produced by an individual
ATV depends not only on the engine type and speed but many ATV on Ambergris Caye have a modified muffler and removed the mesh inside to get a few more horsepower's .

Since there was no much effort from the local traffic department to remove the heavy tinted gangster windows from cars, I was wondering if the is anybody responsible on the Island for this noise pollution?

Conquer the devils with a little thing called love!"
B
B
I have an ATV and the last muffler I bought lasted 9 months.They cost $900.
I don't think anyone on this island modifies there exhaust. If they do it is to retrofit something else that costs less.
If you are referring to the Razors on the island, they are expensive noisy hot rods from the factory.
There is no place to use horsepower here so that argument won't fly. If my quad annoys you I apologize. I get it patched up or replaced regularly.

Jim, with all do respect, why would someone buy an ATV with a muffler costing $900 that has to be replaced every 9 months! They probably are not stainless steel.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
B
B
They definitely are not stainless.
The Mennonites will make you a stainless steel one that lasts for ever but they do not muffle--stainless tin cans.
All Atv's here have the same problem. The elements are brutal for a lot of things here as you know, including exhaust systems and my liver.

We just got a new neighbor, I think his has a polaris RZR or something similar with 3 mufflers. This thing sounds like a chain-saw and you can hear it from half a mile.

When I spoke with him, I asked him if the muffler is broken, he looked at me and told me, this is just the way its sounds. The ATV was brand new, but I think it was a racing model or the muffler was modified or replaced with a racing exhaust kit. With racing mufflers or modification you can have 25% hp gain and a 200% noise gain.

As someone who owns a Polaris Ranger I can tell you that I spent a lot of money to have it retrofitted so that the noise is not as loud. It was expensive and although it worked the vehicle is still not quiet. I can also tell you that although mine spends most of the time in an indoor garage things do not last long in the climate on San Pedro and everything seems to rust away at a incredible rate. If you ride an ATV around town believe me you don't want it to be loud but there is very little you can do. As I said I spent a lot of money to get the noise abated but there is only so much you can do. You should also know that the reason I bought the ATV was because it was the only type of vehicle that I could use to get to and from my house.

Captain One Iron
Cayemen,

Im pretty sure the RZR is a performance model and probabaly has "tuned" (low backpressure, less muffled) pipes on it.

S
S
not to nit pick, but what kind of engine would it be possible to have three mufflers on?

At any rate, the folks who are bringing in RZR's better have deep pockets, because as alluded to above, like everything here, they're destined for the rust pile sooner than later.

Even stainless steel rusts here!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
My shirts rust and they are cotton. Its like the twilight zone for rust!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.