Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Diane,
BEL probably told you that they are running AC cables. The frequency of AC (Alternating Current) cause a bit of heat, if they bury the cables it is best to have a metal sheild to protect it from damage. This will cause the heat to be isolated around the cable and you will lose power. You can run this system for short distances, like CC, but not over long distances.
The cables I was suggesting are DC (Direct Current). Wind and solar generators produce DC power so burying these cables is no real issue. Then each home would have an inverter, something they will have to have anyways, at the connection to their home.

BEL also could have been concerned about the water table as well, but that is why you have the metal outer layer to protect it.

All and all I think Ron will have his own large island for quite awhile. smile at least until I get there.

Dane, How much do you need for the solar panels on the school?

Last edited by Future Ex-Pat; 06/22/11 10:22 AM.

John deVerteuil
D
D
The problem with DC is line losses over even short distances. This is why the whole world is wired AC except a few solar homes on their own...

To supply the whole school we need about 3K gridtie, which would cost about $10K to install.
With 1K for $3500 we could run the solar truck and charge at the school.
Notice BEL gave it up in Belize?
During these little splits may be a good time to get permission to sell outside the monopol.y

C
C
Hi Dane,

Seaside Cabanas has made a fund, collecting a small % of income and putting this aside to be donated once a year (December) into an Eco project within Belize.
If you have some ideas for something along the renewables line or similar for the Academy then drop me a message as we will likely be deciding on where this years fund will be donated over the next month or so.

Regards

Simon

Last edited by Caye Maker; 06/23/11 04:53 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day