Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#410921 06/30/11 09:09 AM
P
PROBUS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
These are $50/month for the first six months, $100 thereafter. But does anyone know how long the person must be out of Belize for a fresh period of six months to start? And whether there is any overall time limit on how long temporary residence can be bought?

Speaking to three different people in the same Immigration Dept office I have had three mutually exclusive answers.

I believe that overnight is enough to "refresh" - the next visa needs to be issued at a boarder immigration post.

you are not "buying temporary residence" - you are renewing a tourist visa and the renewal process has a fee.

14 days minimum out of Belize before they consider you as a "new"

P
PROBUS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for these answers. Unfortunately neither corresponds to any of those given by Immigration. Any supporting evidence, or alternative views?

M
M
dabunk is correct according to recent inquiries at the immigration office here in San Pedro. 14 days out of the country to go back to $50 a month. However, some have been lucky to be out of the country for less time and have the fees start back at $50. Sometimes these things are dependent on exactly that, luck!

The most important news is that it's pretty easy regardless.

P
PROBUS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
My client has been told three different timescales, all by staff in San Pedro's Immigration Office. They are one day, three weeks, and one month. The impression he has is that they will say whatever is necessary to put the individual in default so he has to double his monthly payment from $50 to $100. I have so far been unable to find any definitive information. Because of this and the impression it leaves of sheer disorganisation he has said he intends to leave the country, and to cancel his application for permanent residency.

C
C
I usually call the Immigration Department in Belmopan and request a name of the person offering advice.

C
C
I would pay the extra $25US, don't leave too long it can affect your residency.

probus - please tell your client to try to view everything in life from a much more positive perspective when dealing in belize, and i'm sure he/she will find the overall experience much more pleasant. The entire immigration department is not conspiring to bamboozle him and get double the money. They just have no clue the answers themselves, so they make it up as they go along, i suspect smile

for about 3.5 years i did monthly stamps, and i traveled a lot as well. I never got schnookered but then again, i wasnt looking to. i also never really "pushed" the dates, and was timely and respectful. After 6 months, i paid $100, and whenever i traveled outside the country, regardless of time out of the country (times ranging from 1 night to playa, to 2 weeks+ bopping around central america).

The reality is, you can ask and ask and ask, and your client can think he's gonna get schnookered, or not think he's gonna get schnookered...the only way to know for sure is to do it. If it's $50 or $100, if that financial difference is so great a difference as to decide if he/she should move here or not, probably not going to be the best fit anyway smile not that you're saying any of this, i'm just being direct smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.