Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
OP Offline
K
First of all, we dont dive, we like to snorkel but are not fanatics, we went for two simple reasons....drink, and relax.

---mission accomplished-----

I am not going to sit here and tell you where we ate, what price it was and what the service was like at those places, plenty of that on the board as it is.

But what I did want to tell you is something that gets posted here, but is completely under-rated or not talked about enough. And that is the people of Belize.

And I mean all people, from the Americans that own businesses there to the locals who have never left the Island.

I cant stress enough what a great vibe the Island has, the culture is phenomenal and the charm is ten fold more. This is my attraction on traveling to different countries and parts of the world, I want to see what the locals do to live, how they celebrate, how they parent, how and when they work, and why they do what they do.

I'm not sure I can verbalize it, I think its something you have to see for yourself. But here are a couple of observations.

Mind frame--- "Belize it" is a classic saying, "dont sweat the small stuff." Simple but to the point. I cant believe the crap us city dwellers stress out over.
Could you imagine Bruce at B.C's bar worrying about what cellular package to buy?
The other phrase that sticks with us after our trip home is "no-problem" ...blows me away, the people will go out of their way and help you in any which way they can.

Work ethic---I dont know if the Belizan people are hard working or long working, but I can tell you its all manual labor. The construction crews we saw, worked all day, long days. How about this one crew building a concrete house, and because of the lack of equiptment and machinery, they were carrying five gallon buckets of cement up a wooden ladder to lay cement on the second floor.

The Children---perhaps the biggest bonus on the Island, The Catholic uniforms and all the little kids getting rides from tourists on their golf carts to and from school each day was a pleasant treat. I bought about 200.00 worth of crayons, markers, pencils, scissors, construction paper etc, before I left for the Island and then we dropped them off at ABC's pre-school just west of the airport, we spent some time with the kids and met with their director. It was a special day.

These are special times right now, on a special little corner of the world, the island is "americanized" I just hope it never gets "commercialized or cooperationized"

Its a fantastic place and I thank all the people that made and continue to make it so.

S
S
AMEN!!!!

A
A
Thank you Koz,

So beautifully put.

M
M
Hi Koz! So sorry we did not get to meet you even so we sure tried. Employees from Captain Morgan's had told us that Thursday night is fun at the Barefoot Iguana so we went there to meet you guys and it never opend. We where standing in front of the dark building for 20 minutes hoping we would catch you guys but finaly gave up and went back to our condo. Sorry!

great report - the children made my trip. you said it as far as island vibe - San Pedro wins hands-down.

L
L
Koz, I just saw your nice report on your trip and the kind words for the people of the island. Delighted you enjoyed it as much as we do. 35 yrs. of visiting and 17 as a homeowner have taught us we are truly blessed to be a part of such a wonderful community and culture. I hope your stay at our house was enjoyable(Casa Plata). Would appreciate any input so any future visitors will have a great experience as well. Thanks, Judy

R.B. Mernitz
HI KOZ!!!!
How the hell are you??? So you finally made it back. I was so glad to meet you and your lovely wife. Your friends were a hoot. They were great. How are the legs and feet? Mine took about 24 hours being home to return to "normal", but I have to say, the favor Bruce did for us at the pharmacy was a God send!! He and Char are truly great people!! Keep in touch.
Debbie

K
OP Offline
K
munichchick, we drove by the Iguana that night, and it was pitch black, I think we got there around 10:30...sorry we missed you.

Debbie, 2 days after taking those drugs...my ankles and hand swelling went down, that still blows me away, Bruce from B.C.'s bar walked me over to the local pharmacy and we bought perscription drugs over the counter....cracked me up, as he said "could you imagine walking into a walgreens in the states and doing this?"

Lovey and Thurston, we truly enjoyed your house and our stay, its a fantastic property and you are lucky to own it. However, I would like to make a couple of suggestions,I would suggest you leave a little "information packet" perhaps in a three ring binder. I would leave a map on how to get into town, some locations of local restaraunts and dive shops, the taxi company number, your property management number and perhaps a doctors phone number.

We were dropped off at the house and we kind of had the "now what" feeling, a little literature would have helped.

I would also get a guest book and have your guests sign it. A guest book is a great selling point for you down the road.

And finally, I wished you had an on-off switch on your out-side light. The stars are beatifull but we couldnt see them because the porch light was on a sensor and once it got dark it came on.

Other than those little things we enjoyed our stay and probably will do it again next year.

KC Offline
Koz, As a home owner on AC, I appreciate those suggestions as well. I was planning on doing most of what you listed, but that set me to wondering... what else would people like to see in a nice rental house? Two things that I have thought of are binoculars (for viewing the ocean and birds) and back packs for any "day hikes" you might want to do -- comes in handy.

Anyone else have suggestions? I leave in a week, so I'm making my list and checking it twice!

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
K
OP Offline
K
those would be good suggestions as well, just as long as you dont lose the backpacks.

I would have liked to know where a grocery store was, a liqour store maybe.

Maybe you could set up a deal or two with restaraunts, like a free entree with a purchase of another. Or some free drink coupons from a couple of bars.

As a business owner I would jump at the chance to provide you with those things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.