Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
howardv Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I will be visiting Belize for the first time - arriving July 12th. I am expecting to spend some time visiting local Belizians in Hope Creek (near Pomona) and was wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding what small gifts I could take with me that would be appreciated by locals? Would it look ridiculous if I gave them sugar? and if not, do Belizians prefer brown sugar or white sugar? How likely is it that the sugar "shortage" will still exist a week from now?

C
C
Simple things like reading glasses from the dollar store. You would be surprised how many people need a little help to see and read. You can buy unlocked cell phones in the U.S. for $25..here they are about $150. its not really a luxury if you are a fisherman or boat owner....

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Hi Howard - I wouldn't bring sugar.
T-shirts from your hometown in a variety of sizes is a sure thing - they are fun, they don't come off as condescending and they absolutely get worn.

Flashlights and fish hooks also first aid kits are very expensive here.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

School supplies for the kids. Note books, pens, pencils, crayons, erasers, and children's coloring books. Reading books for a school library.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
C
C
Jumbo bag of mixed candy!

B
B
Mike and I are going to CC in August. Where would we take items such as reading glasses?

Hon Offline
Bring candy for Chris if you want to but please, please don't bring it for the kids! School supplies, books, reading glasses, fish hooks, first aid kits are all great ideas. Me being me, I'll add soccer balls/footballs/rugby balls (w/inflation needles), kites, baseball gloves, frisbees or anything that helps keep kids active...but that's just me smile

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Originally Posted by Babsy
Mike and I are going to CC in August. Where would we take items such as reading glasses?

My t-shirt suggestion notwithstanding ...... IMHO probably the the best (and easiest for all concerned) thing to do is spend your money in legitimate businesses and allow the people you meet to earn a living. Tip well, go out to eat, snorkel, take tours, buy local crafts and art. Enable our tourism industry to grow - tell your friends about Belize - and come back again!!

B
B
Diane, we do plan to do all of that. But when I saw the suggestion for reading glasses I thought maybe a need for them was rising faster than obtaining the glasses.

Mike and I hope to retire there some day....(soon I hope) so we will be coming down often!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.