Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Amanda, I saw you for one brief intro and I didn't see one snake in your hair.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
D
D
My friend Senator Haley came back to dangriga area to find his 20 acres being divided.The new owners "title" had Haleys signature in block letters and his wifes in stunted cursive. The witness signature was in the same hand.
All was signed by a Justice of the Peace.The Registry didn't see anything wrong.
I use a lawyer for land transactions. Musa and Balderamos usually.
They charge about the same as a paralegal. I have seen a paralegal tell the buyer that the $400 title search showed all was fine, even though my wife had erred and given the paralegal the wrong numbers to search.
When this sort of thing comes up years later, fixing it is included in the lawyers fee.
The good ones stand behind the titles they create.
Most folks nationwide do the same except in San Pedro. There has risen a group of folks who see the title process as simply cut and paste from another land doc and bill a few bucks less than a lawyer.
Got a problem later? "Get a lawyer"

Last edited by Dane; 07/14/11 06:07 PM.
More details about land with separate title holders

[Linked Image] In Wednesday's newscast Attorney Fred Lumor revealed that father and son, William and Jimmy Quinto, businessmen of Belize City, held a legal title to a half a million dollar parcel of land in San Pedro while a local bank had a lien on the same property, but with another person listed as the owner. Lumor suggested that the fraud at the Lands Department was done quickly and it could not have been by accident that two persons ended up with title to the same property. Lumor dug further into the two sets of documents and found several inconsistencies, including that the fraudsters were not required to publish their transaction in the gazette.

Fred Lumor, Attorney for Quintos

[Linked Image] "Once you have a land certificate issued to you by the land registry, anyone who wants to buy from you is asked not to investigate any transaction before the land certificate is issued because there was expectations that the title will be screened and the registration process would be scrupulous. But since human beings make mistakes, provisions made to compensate those who are victims of mistake. But in this particular case, the situation of fraud occurring in the land registry is just getting out of control and somebody needs to take control of it. This property is valued over half a million. In August of 2006, Francisco Nunez sold this property to his son for five thousand dollars. The registrar of lands, himself or herself, discovered that the value was so low, increased the value to ten thousand dollars. And this transaction as done in less than twelve days at incredible speed at which this was done. Normally what the registrar would do is to send somebody to do an inspection to verify the price at which the land is beign sold. But this land is transferred for little or nothing far below the market value of this particular piece of property. As I have told you, there is a large condominium development adjoining this property in San Pedro. So how these thigns happen? And also, we just discovered; that when Francisco Nunez applied for first registration of this parcel of land, the application was not published in the government's gazette as required by law. It was some transaction rushed through the land registry; quietly and unknown to anybody. Whilst when the Quintos applied for first registration, their registration was published in the gazette as notice to the whole world as well as in the national newspaper. So, we are all confused as to what is taking place."

Lumor also told News Five that he will attempt to get the government to amend the Lands Act because although it refers to Indemnity, there is actually nothing to oblige the government to compensate victims of fraud that occurs under the watch of the Lands Registrar's office.

http://edition.channel5belize.com/archives/57979

Live and let live
F
F
Crime happens, I am not worried about that.
What I am worried about is the apparent lack of finding the culprits which points to a systematic corruption. Either the police is not caring, they are themselves corrupted or extremely incompetent. Either case forget investing until well publicized arrests, prosecutions and cleansing takes place. This kind of news is what kills foreign investment DEAD.
This basically says "come fools bring your money and we will steal you blind without any fear of the authorities".

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.