Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#412112 07/19/11 03:12 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I work at a hotel and I heard about Caye Caulker from a guest. What he described sounded like the best place on earth and I wrote down the name and searched it online. Flights into Belize are quite a bit more expensive than into Cancun. Would it be a good idea to fly into Cancun and then find a way down to Belize? If so what would be the best method of travel from Cancun to Belize? Thank you for your help!

I am doing this in a few weeks, but going to San Pedro.

Flying into Cancun and taking the bus from the airport to Playa del Carmen. Spending the night there. Then taking bus from PdC to Chetumal, then water taxi to SP. (I am presuming the that water taxi from Chet makes stops at CC)

I am estimating that the 2 buses will cost me about $30 USD, then night in PdC about $50 USD, water taxi about $40 USD. So about $250 R/T to travel thru the Yucatan.

My R/T airfare from Chi was $332. Yes, I burn a day each way traveling thru the Yucatan, but it is still cheaper than flying into Belize City. I could not find airfare any cheaper than $750-$800 USD and that only got me to BC.

A hug is the shortest distance between friends. ~ Author Unknown
let's see........750-332 = 418 - 250=158 /2 days = $79 a day savings and 2 days gone outta my vaca time. hmmmmmm not a juice worth my squeeze, but that's just me. smirk and i'm willing to bet you might spend a night on AC prior to getting to CC.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
A
A
Short hop 10 miles further south from San Pedro to Caye Caulker, $10 US.

M
M
Have a look at this site where I have described how I do the trip:
http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Once in Chetumal, get the water taxi to Ambergris Caye, then Caye Caulker.

klcman #412185 07/20/11 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by klcman
let's see........750-332 = 418 - 250=158 /2 days = $79 a day savings and 2 days gone outta my vaca time. hmmmmmm not a juice worth my squeeze, but that's just me. smirk and i'm willing to bet you might spend a night on AC prior to getting to CC.

Actually, I am not going to CC, just San Pedro for a few days then to Corozal. I will have 9 days of sun, sand and surf before I head home.

C
C
This is what we have done the last few years as airfares from Belize are so high. We do a Multi city search on kayak.com. Aifare for our RT cost about $800 from BZE.Or U.S. to Belize RT.
If we go one way either direction leaving from Cancun, or arriving in Cancun then arriving or leaving from Belize City the airfare is about $475. So you only have to do the Cancun thing once instead of R.T.
So a one way trip to or from Cancun is $7.00 to Playa, Hotel Caribbean directly behind bus station is $20. Bus to Chetumal $18.00 very nice comfortable bus, air, movies etc.5 hr ride. Water Taxi leaves Chetumal at 3.30 pm for $37.50 if you contact them direct $50 otherwise and that will take you into Caye caulker same day.
That would make the R.T about $570..with less time loss. And a mini tour of the Yucatan...

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Cooper #412247 07/21/11 08:17 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Hotel Caribbean in PdC!!!

In mid-June a friend of mine paid US$20 for the Chetumal to San Pedro water taxi (can't remember which of the two it was). It was just a matter of bargaining with the people at the water taxi offices at the Muelle Fiscal in Chetumal. No need to pay outrageous prices like US$50. Everything is negotiable, especially in Chetumal.

--Lan Sluder

Originally Posted by Lan Sluder/Belize First
In mid-June a friend of mine paid US$20 for the Chetumal to San Pedro water taxi (can't remember which of the two it was). It was just a matter of bargaining with the people at the water taxi offices at the Muelle Fiscal in Chetumal. No need to pay outrageous prices like US$50. Everything is negotiable, especially in Chetumal.

--Lan Sluder
Another excellent tip. Thanks, Lan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.