Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: Marty] #412784
07/29/11 07:39 PM
07/29/11 07:39 PM
San Pedro. Belize
Tracker Offline
Tracker  Offline
I find it hard to believe that anyone would object to being asked for id, if you travel anywhere in this world you will be asked for your ID. Most countries now require that all visitors carry some form of photo ID. I know that in Mexico you can be arrested for not carrying photo ID. Also in the US you can be detained if you cannot produce a photo ID.
I for one, would like to see a citizen photo ID card being issued to all Belizeans. We have some problems here with illegals living and working on the island, also I might add some Fugitives from the USA who come here because they think they will not be asked for ID.
I spoke to some people who were stopped at this check point, they all said it was no problem, in fact they seem to have enjoyed it, they said the people spoke to them in a very nice manner, even when some of the group did not have proper ID.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: Marty] #412785
07/29/11 07:56 PM
07/29/11 07:56 PM
San Pedro
P
pamkillen Offline
pamkillen  Offline
P
Thank you bywarren. I am sensible

Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: pamkillen] #412787
07/29/11 08:44 PM
07/29/11 08:44 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Nova Offline
Nova  Offline
We went to see the USS Constitution in Bahston last week. When they asked for photo ID I realized my passport was in my hotel room and I had nothing with a photo but a business card. Before I even had a chance to pull it out they waived me in and we had the tour. Hmmmmmmm!

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: Marty] #412831
07/30/11 11:42 AM
07/30/11 11:42 AM
PACWest, SACSouth
Bear Offline
Bear  Offline
Just a couple of quick thoughts. I dont think it's unreasonable, however my wife does. We have have had to undergo these checks in Mexico (even Cancun), Costa Rica, and frequently on the mainland of Belize along the main highways. If youre going to do it fairly you need to do it to everyone not just by profile. I would add that Israel that does profile but puts everyone through the same a basic check and then choses from among that basic check whom to profile and do more thoroughly. My US drivers license has always worked fine here in Belize, its plastic and I keep it in a velcro pocket of my trunks/shorts along with my daily spending money, I would never stash a copy of my passport in a glove box, or of any official ID for that matter. I think the average polite tourist or visitor (among whom I count myself because of my limited ownership time on the Caye) gets this and is okay with it. Besides, who knows, maybe they pickup the occasional bad guy as a result of shear stupidity on his/her part.

Its a different world out there than it was 10 years ago. I've experienced these kinds of checks all over the world most of my life; I experienced it when i lived in Europe in the 60's. It's just popping up in places it hasn't before. Things change, and sometimes change is a pain in the ass to accept.

Last edited by Bear; 07/30/11 11:52 AM.
Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: Marty] #412845
07/30/11 03:23 PM
07/30/11 03:23 PM
Iowa
J
JeanH Offline
JeanH  Offline
J
Ok, I'm convinced, I'll carry ID. But, I'm still not sure whether I have to carry my passport. I am really not comfortable not having it locked up.

If I am only carrying a copy, Immigration won't be able to tell if I've overstayed my visa or not.

Are they insisting on a passport?????

Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: Marty] #412846
07/30/11 03:30 PM
07/30/11 03:30 PM
Northern California
L
LaurieMar Offline
LaurieMar  Offline
L
What is wrong with being asked to produce ID if it serves the greater good? Boy...I would love to see the great State of California implement this plan. If you are not there legally, you shouldn't be allowed to be there. Our moron, buffoon Governor Brown just signed a bill allowing illegal immigrants access to college grants. Unbelievable.

Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: LaurieMar] #412851
07/30/11 04:30 PM
07/30/11 04:30 PM
Beautiful San Marcos, Texas
E
Ernie B Offline
Ernie B  Offline
E
HA! Texas is looking better all the time !

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.
Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: LaurieMar] #412852
07/30/11 04:48 PM
07/30/11 04:48 PM
SW, MA / SW, FL
R
ragman Offline
ragman  Offline
R
yes, I have no problem with being asked for an ID. I would love to see all the States institute ID checks. Especially at the polls in the USA. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Re: Immigration Conducts Surprise Checkpoint [Re: Marty] #412854
07/30/11 05:11 PM
07/30/11 05:11 PM
Northern California
L
LaurieMar Offline
LaurieMar  Offline
L
E, I vote for Governor Perry as the next U.S President...but then what would the State of Texas do without him? He rocks!

Back to thread subject: I doubt most tourists carry around their passport. I never have, but always carry my picture ID, it just doesn't make common sense not to have some type of identification on you whereever you are in the world.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
August
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Marty), 193 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics71,923
Posts482,303
Members19,687
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.