Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
We are going to be moving to Belize (Ambergris Caye) with our Boston Terrier at the end of August. Can't wait!

Looking at the BAHA Application to Import Animals (etc.) into Belize ( BAHA Application to Import Animals...form), I am confused as there is no space to fill in names and addresses, since the instructions take up the entire block.

Also, I assume I am in the Importer, so do I just leave the "Exporter" area blank?

Help! I am sure others have filled out this form successfully, so what am I missing?

Thanks!
Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
I just went thru the same thing. Just white out the printing that is in the space, and write in the info. BAHA is really quick to respond and very nice to work with. Unless you ask them to fax a copy of the permit to you, they might just send it to BZE. I would make sure that you get the copy before you leave.

Happy in Paradice
Actually, you are both the importer and the exporter. Are you bringing your dog in-cabin as carry-on? As a snubbed nose dog, be sure to select your airline carefully. I could not bring my lhasa on American, but no problem in-cabin on Continental.

Happy in Paradice
OP Offline
Originally Posted by babsaunt
I just went thru the same thing. Just white out the printing that is in the space, and write in the info. BAHA is really quick to respond and very nice to work with. Unless you ask them to fax a copy of the permit to you, they might just send it to BZE. I would make sure that you get the copy before you leave.

Good idea, and thanks for the white-out tip. I am just surprised they designed the form that way!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by babsaunt
Actually, you are both the importer and the exporter. Are you bringing your dog in-cabin as carry-on? As a snubbed nose dog, be sure to select your airline carefully. I could not bring my lhasa on American, but no problem in-cabin on Continental.

Interesting... Can I just put "Same as Applicant" in the "Importer" and "Exporter" blocks?

We will be taking her in the cabin -- US Airways. I would never send her in cargo because of the snub nose. Those breeds aren't even accepted by many carriers (in cargo). Hopefully everything will go smoothly. glad you were able to get your dog in okay.

Thanks for all the help!

OP Offline
babsaunt, could I ask you a few more questions about the form? I feel so stupid, but none of it is all that obvious to me, and since yours got approved, I thought you could help... confused

1. For Origin, do I put the city I am flying out of in the US?
2. For Procedence?? I was thinking maybe Belize City, since my ultimate destination is San Pedro.
3. For Port of Entry, also Belize City (flying into Int'l airport).

They don't seem to ask the date you are bringing the animal in on the form, which surprised me. From reading the site, I am supposed to let them know two days ahead so that an officer can be at the airport to inspect our dog. Is that how you did it?

Thank you very much!

Emily

Yes, I sent them a very polite letter telling them of my plans, city of departure, day, date,time and airline and city of arrival, final destination, the fact that you have all necessary paperwork and shots for your dog, etc. Also throw in breed, age,and name of your dog. include their forms and ask them to fax a copy of the permit to you, stressing that you will pay for the fax at the time of arrival in BZE. Thank them profusely for expediting your request. They are truly very helpful and kind. You should have no problem. Hope this helps. Cindy

Happy in Paradice
fax letter and forms, do not send via snail mail

Happy in Paradice
OP Offline
Thanks for all the tips, Cindy!

I have received confirmation from BAHA that my application has been received and that they will send return fax. I'll send the additional information that you suggest when I receive the return fax. I think it's going to be just fine - feeling very optimistic now! smile

Best,
Emily

OP Offline
Success!

We brought our dog into Belize yesterday with no problems whatsoever. US Airways couldn't have been easier to deal with in the US. We paid the $100 pet fee, and they never even looked at the carrier at check in. We did have to remove her from the carrier and run it through the x-ray machine, but that was no problem, and she did great in it during the flight. It fit under the seat in front, and she never made a peep.

When we got to Belize City, we had to go into a separate room to meet with the BAHA official. I gave them a copy of the Int'l Vet Certificate and Rabies Certificate I had brought. The officer asked me if I had applied with BAHA for the pet to enter the country, and I assured him that I had and offered him a copy of the approval fax I had received. He didn't indicate that he had a copy of it already, so I am very glad I had it.

I was friendly and polite and in turn was treated very fairly. He looked quickly at the forms and inspected our dog to make sure she had no open wounds. He charged me $70 BZD and sent me on my way. The entire process took no more than 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.