Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#413588 08/10/11 07:54 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
We close tonight by paying homage to an item of some historical note.

Thirty-nine years of the British Army's Aviation history has drawn to a close in Belize, with the final flight from a Bell 212 helicopter from 25 Flight Army Air Corps.

We have video commemorating this which was posted on youtube by the air Corp.

British Army helicopters have been in the skies over Belize since 1972 - at a time when the sound of a British Puma Helicopter meant security for a nation under sustained territorial threat.

The direct military threat has subsided, and the british army itself has entered another area - but no matter what the case, for med-evacs and BDF troop transport they will he missed.

We close our news by honouring their contribution tonight.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

BATSUB closes down and gives B.D.F. a parting gift

British Forces Broadcasting Radio signed off permanently in August. It was only one component that saw the end of an era of symbolic British support to Belize. BATSUB has been either shipping off to the UK or donating much of its machinery to the Belize Defense Force (B.D.F.). On Friday, BATSUB made another sizable parting gift to the BDF. News Five's Andrea Polanco Reports.

Andrea Polanco, Reporting

On Friday the British Army Training Support Unit made a sizeable donation as their last parting gift to the Belize Defence Force. The equipment which included trucks, trailers, fuel bowsers and boxes of outdoor camping gears was officially handed over by British High Commissioner, Pat Ashworth:

Pat Ashworth, British High Commissioner

Pat Ashworth

"This is really the last part of the equipment that BATSBUB has as it draws down, these are excess. So we have given these Bedford Fourton trucks plus some bowsers, petrol bowsers and some of these trailers as you can see, in order to assist the B.D.F. to go out into the jungle, in Pine Ridge those kinds of things as well. Super vehicles, these are exactly the kind of things needed in a place like Belize."

Andrea Polanco

"Okay. What's the value of the donation, more or less?"

Pat Ashworth

"Well today is around two hundred and fifty thousand dollars."

Dario Tapia

B.D.F. Commander, Dario Tapia says the donation is a significant boost, that will reinforce the services of the military.

Brigadier General Dario Tapia, Commander B.D.F.

"Well certainly the donation given to us by the British Government is certainly timely. Too often we hear that we don't have enough vehicles to move our troops or going in those remote areas that the vehicles we have are inadequate so certainly will help us in able to get to where want to get with these 4-ton. As I mentioned earlier, the 4-ton are very good trucks we have been using them since the force was formed. I as a soldier, and even as an officer, when I got deployed, those can take you anywhere, anywhere you want to get in the country because they are good, they are strong vehicles and certainly have proven its worth for the Belize Defence Force."

Andrea Polanco

"You also mentioned earlier, the significance of the fuel bowsers as well?"

Darrio Tapia

"Yes. I am glad that we have managed to get some fuel bowsers, because too often especially when in times of disaster and you deploy troops they go with a full tank and then we don't have a proper container to take fuel so that we can sustain operations so those bowsers certainly will become handy. I know that Orange Walk Camp currently does not have its own fuel dispensing mechanism so perhaps one of these trucks can end up in Orange Walk so that the vehicles don't have to come all the way here to Price Barracks to get fuel."

Robert Lindsay

BATSUB Commander Robert Lindsay leaves Belize on November 14th; but some programs will remain intact:

Lt. Col. Robert Lindsay, Commander, BATSUB

"Absolutely, clearly seeing the significant reduction in the size of BATSUB over the last year and also the amount of training that we're doing. But we still are training here and we have a small contingent remaining here. Say, for example, next year we're expecting two companies to come and train here in February and later in the year. And there may well be a few other elements coming here as well."

Andrea Polanco

"And with regards to your facilities, will this still be made available to the B.D.F?"

Lt. Col. Robert Lindsay

"I hope so. We, for example, are currently discussing with them as to how they might be able to use our swimming pool in the future. Although BATSUB is going to keep the facilities here for potential further use by British Forces in due course, we certainly work very closely with the BDF and anything we can share with them we are."

So, what's the future of BATSUB in Belize? Well, Ashworth says hopefully by the end of 2012 BATSUB's status will be clarified:

Pat Ashworth

"What we hope is that decisions can be taken within a year maybe towards the end of next year. As we draw down our forces from Afghanistan, then there are opportunities there fro people to come and train in Belize. You'll recall one of the reasons why the draw down took place, was all the training that the British Army is doing at the moment is specifically for Afghanistan, most of it taking place in Kenya. So I hope that by the end of next year we can come to some decision, which I am confident will be the right one."

In summing up his perspective on the work with the B.D.F, having served alongside them for over two years, Lindsay believes the threats to Belize have evolved, and that the B.D.F has also grown to safeguard against those threats:

Lt. Col. Robert Lindsay

"It is quite clear that the main threat to Belize has changed over the last few decades and the main concern now is xateros, drug smugglers, illegal loggers, encroachment, those sorts of things, as opposed to territorial threat or that would be my reading of the situation. And therefore, the focus that the B.D.F. has on working closely with the police, on working closely with the Coast Guard, on patrolling along the border, all of those sorts of things are really key to the maintenance of the security and stability within Belize. I think the B.D.F. are doing a good job and I would commend them for it."

The week countdown to the withdrawal will not include six to eight British Service Men who will remain in the country. Reporting for News Five, I'm Andrea Polanco.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Final farewell gift from BATSUB

Ground breaking ceremony

In June 2011, The British Army Training Support Unit in Belize (BATSUB) made a major donation to the Belize Defense Force to assist in the troops' mobilizing ability that they would lose when they downsized their efforts here in Belize.

That donation came in the form of 6 all-terrain vehicles which has been valued at $150,000. These ATV's would replace the helicopter support from BATSUB.

BATSUB's commander is currently getting ready to leave the country, and the British Forces in Belize have been assigned elsewhere in Afghanistan training bases.

It was with this backdrop, that BATSUB made another equipment donation to the BDF, which is worth another $250,000. BATSUB hopes that the BDF would be able to move more troops to the different areas as is needed.

Two respective companies of officers from BATSUB and BDF were present when the donation was formally handed over. Also in attendance was the British High Commissioner, H.E. Pat Ashworth; the CEO of the Ministry of Defense, Allen Whylie; the Commander of BATSUB, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Lindsay; and the Commander BDF, Brigadier General Dario Tapia.

The donation consists of 10 used Bedford military trucks, 20 trailers, 2 containers with an assortment of fuel bowsers and other equipment, and 6 boxes of outdoor camping equipment.

The British High Commissioner took the opportunity to address the media saying that the mandatory downsizing is only temporary, and there is the hope that BATSUB will be back at the capacity it was a few months ago.

The Guardian

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.