Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#413573 08/09/11 10:10 PM
P
PROBUS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
We all know how appalling and expensive internet access is in Belize. People might be interested that in Britain (Lord Ashcroft's home country) British Telecom is now offering high speed internet access (many times faster than the fastest offered in Belize) PLUS all telephone calls free (excepting only international) for around Bz$50 per month.

Belize really is a great rip-off.

PROBUS #413576 08/10/11 12:17 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by PROBUS
We all know how appalling and expensive internet access is in Belize. People might be interested that in Britain (Lord Ashcroft's home country) British Telecom is now offering high speed internet access (many times faster than the fastest offered in Belize) PLUS all telephone calls free (excepting only international) for around Bz$50 per month.

Belize really is a great rip-off.

If you mean BTL is a rip off than say so.
I don't agree but I understand as I was in Chet this weekend to get all the school stuff for my daughter. Did I save $$$?--probably not after 300 XX and 150 tacos.
The internet at the hotel was so fast I was multitasking to try to slow it down. After 35 IE windows I gave up.
Download speed was 2+meg
It was fun.
We as Belizeans do not have the population or the foreign interest needed to get that kind of internet.
As much as I bitch about it I still remember the 28,800k days--we were styling then.
Tell your Lord 'whatisname' to throw you/us an internet bone if you are so inclined.
No PROBUS, you are mistaken,Belize is a victim of the 'bitch on the money' and has been left to fend for herself and we are doing a good job of it considering. Belize is not a rip off--haul your ass if you think it is.

PROBUS #413612 08/10/11 01:16 PM
In England I pay BZ$30 a month for 2 meg in Belize I am paying BZ$405 for 1 meg tell me where the rip off is?

Last edited by Inplub; 08/10/11 01:17 PM.
PROBUS #413613 08/10/11 01:26 PM
Lord Ashcroft ??

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
PROBUS #413643 08/11/11 06:44 AM
BTL's extremely expensive and pathetically slow internet is not only an annoyance for individuals, it is holding Belize back in the world of business. You can't have a modern, world-class international business infrastructure unless you have fast -- and I don't mean 2 or 4 megs down max -- and affordable internet.

Now that the GOB owns BTL, it needs to put a priority on upgrading and downpricing its internet offerings.

--Lan Sluder

Once you get them to do that, get them to AC and have them go to work on safe water, sewage and garbage disposal, sufficient police and fire safety, proper roads, traffic control, parking and some kind of planing that takes into consideration what the infrastructure can handle as opposed to how many more tourist can be brought to the island, how many jobs that will create and how much money the politicians can enrich themselves in the process. sick

PROBUS #413722 08/11/11 08:15 PM
P
PROBUS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Back on the internet for a moment, has anyone else noticed how abysmal it has been for the past few days? All across town I've tried to get a decent connection and failed, with frequent DNS errors that stem from server issues, not the local connection. I wonder whether BTL are immersed in implementing some new anti-VoIP software that's gone wrong? That wouldn't be the first time.

I agree with Lan......I spend a month at a time at our condo and rely on the internet to check and run my business when I'm down there. I have the highest speed available through Coral Cable at an outragheous price which at time is like watching paint dry. I have no clue as to what governs the cost of speed, but there must be something that they can do to make high speed available at an affordable price.....what is the real problem?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
PROBUS #413842 08/13/11 08:01 PM
P
PROBUS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I can't believe that no-one else is having problems with internet at the moment. For most of this past week it's been truly abysmal, for me and everyone I know. I often watch a streaming video at weekends and have done so for months, but it's proving totally impossible now, at any time of day or night on any day, and at any of several locations. The last time it was this bad BTL had been trying to install some new blocking software and got it wrong, though of course they never admitted to that.

I have thought for several years that most of the money BTL invest in their internet goes into developing new blocking techniques, with very little investment if any in actually improving the service to customers.

PROBUS #413843 08/13/11 08:12 PM
S
S
My BTL DSL is working normally..as always

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.