Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#413895 08/15/11 08:46 AM
OP Offline
I read that a new medical school was to open
on the island
and the director was DR floyd jackson
is that the same floyd jackson that lived on a sail boat
and walked thru town every day with a shaggy dog?
this seems so strange to me ??

Last edited by captjeff; 08/15/11 08:47 AM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
S
S
Yes. Google "American Global University School of Medicine" for information and reviews of the school.

OP Offline
Thanks Simon I did that .I had that feeling As I had some conversations with him !! they where interesting to say the least.

Living The Dream Every Day!
After my personal experience with Dr. Dr. Prof. MD. Floyd Jackson, I wonder if the University opened on the 1. of April.

This is a joke is it not?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Press Release - American Global University School of Medicine, AGUSM, now offers San Pedro Town youth and other Belizeans a golden opportunity to become a doctor of medicine. If you have the will, AGUSM has the way. Earn an M.D., become a physician and surgeon.

Graduate in the class of 2016 by enrolling in the all-new AGUSM Pre-Medical Sciences Program today. Registration is Monday, September 12, 2011 at 2:00p.m. at the AGUSM San Pedro Campus located behind Paz Villas across from The Villas at Banyan Bay. The first day of class is Tuesday, September 13, 2011, and the cost is only $1,500 per term. The Pre-Med Program consists of three terms: Fall, Winter and Spring.

Classes are held Monday through Thursday from 6:00p.m. to 9:00p.m. and consist of University- level General Biology, General Chemistry, Medical English Literature and Oral Expression, and Organic Chemistry respectively. Remedial Mathematics consisting principally of College Algebra is available by arrangement with Professor Dr. Paulette Galbraith. A mathematics placement examination score of 70% is required of all Pre-Med students. The examination will be administered Tuesday evening, September 13, 2011, from 6:00 to 7:00p.m.

On Mondays and Tuesdays, Biology and Chemistry will be taught by Professor Dr. Paulette Galbraith, Medical English on Wednesday by Professor Dr. Marilyn Marx, and Organic Chemistry on Thursday by Professor Dr. Floyd Jackson. Textbooks are available in both hard copy and electronic version. E-book readers, nominally priced at the AGUSM bookstore, or computers are required for all Pre-Med students. Course textbooks consist of Jane Reese et al. (2010) Campbell Biology, Ebbing/Gammon (2011) Chemistry, Rise Axelrod (2010) Reading Critically: Writing Well, Blackwell's Underground Clinical Vignettes: Behavioral Sciences, and Solomons/Fryhle (2011) Organic Chemistry.

A preliminary meeting is scheduled for all prospective Pre-Med students on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at AGUSM San Pedro Campus from 6:00p.m. to 7:00p.m. Please direct all inquiries to Dr. Floyd Jackson, Pre-Med Program Director and Professor of Medicine, telephone #226-2682, cell #663-1927. A Pre-Medical Science Certificate and an AGUSM candidacy the M.D., Medical Doctorate, will be awarded at graduation on the last Saturday of August 2012.

Their website: http://www.agusm.org/

The school has been operational for 6 years - but only about 6 months or so on the island. Dr Jackson taught at St Matthews School of Medicine too. I agree that he can be eccentric.

Dr Marilyn Marx, Dr. Lerida Rodriguez, Dr. Javier Zuniga and Dr. Daniel Gonzalez are all teaching there.

Although we may all have our opinions of each of those character I think that the med school is beneficial to the island.

My eldest child, Rosie will be attending next term and I believe a few of her friends will also. I think it is fantastic that there are more educational options on the island for our youth - at affordable prices!

I guess only time will tell if this is a JOKE or not people. But I do think that rather than condemning a place and its employees you might first want to get a little bit of background info.

I guess some of you guys missed the newspaper stories.

I think it's great that Sanpedranos and other Belizeans have new opportunities for advanced education. At the same time, so many of these offshore, for-profit med schools have come and gone in Belize -- at least a half dozen have opened and then closed -- that one naturally has to be skeptical.

How long was the Medical School of the Americas on the Island?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
As I recall Medical University of the Americas operated in San Pedro from 2002 to 2006. Before that, St. Matthews was on the island from 1997 to 2001 or so before it pulled out and moved to the Cayman Islands. It is still operating on Grand Cayman.

There have been several offshore med schools in Belmopan (Hope, Grace and others) and elsewhere that opened and folded. The longest-lived one is CAHSU near Belize City.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.