Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#414702 08/25/11 10:27 AM
OP Offline
Bacteria stops dengue in tracks
By Matt McGrath Science reporter, BBC World Service

Australian scientists say they have discovered a cheap and effective method of preventing the transmission of dengue fever.

They infected mosquitoes that spread the disease with bacteria that block transmission of the dengue virus.

When the resistant insects were released, they successfully interbred with wild mosquitoes and halted their ability to transmit dengue.

Details of the work are published in the journal Nature.

The researchers are hopeful that this could be a viable control for a disease that affects more than 50 million people worldwide every year.

According to the World Health Organization around one third of the world's population is at risk from dengue fever. The incidence and severity of this untreatable, mosquito-borne illness are increasing in many parts of the world.

Pesticides that kill the specific type of mosquitoes that carry the virus have been the most effective method of control to date, but resistance is rising.

Now a team of Australian scientists say that a simple bacterium called Wolbachia that only infects insects could stop dengue in its tracks.

Natural agent

Professor Scott O'Neill from Monash University, Melbourne, is one of the authors of the research.

"The approach is to use a naturally occurring bacterial agent - An intracellular bacteria that only grows within insects, and it's extremely common in the environment, up to 70% of insects naturally carry it."

After a series of laboratory experiments that proved the power of Wolbachia to restrict the abilities of mosquitoes to transmit dengue, the scientists then released several hundred thousand of them in Queensland in northeastern Australia.

Scott O'Neill explained that a critical aspect was getting the consent of the community to the idea of releasing even more mosquitoes into the environment.

"We spent a considerable amount of time preparing the community before we did the open field tests. A key component was an independent risk analysis undertaken by the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation - Australia's national science agency). It indicated that over a 30 year time frame any potential for a negative risk with these experiments was considered negligible," he said.

"The mosquitoes were placed in containers, we filled up a van with these containers and drove around early in the morning in the neighbourhood and simply lifted the cover off these containers and the mosquitoes would fly out."

Within months, a wave of infection by the bacterium had spread to almost all the wild mosquitoes rendering them incapable of passing on dengue.

The scientists are uncertain as to why Wolbachia blocks the ability to transmit dengue, but Professor O'Neill said they have two theories: "The first relates to the immune system. The data suggests that the presence of Wolbachia boosts the immune system and helps the mosquito fight off the effects of dengue.

"Other evidence suggests that Wolbachia is competing for key sub-cellular molecules that the virus needs to replicate such as fatty acids - the jury is still out, it might be a combination of both."

The researchers say that further field tests are needed in countries like Thailand, Vietnam, Brazil and Indonesia where the disease is endemic.

Sounds good, but geez, don't you just love the results when humans start messing with nature? So will we defeat dengue and end up with something worse? (my cup is often half empty, so I'm just sayin' . . .)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
Regardless of Seashell's empty cup, this sounds like very good news.

B
B
Anything that lowers the dengue levels is a-ok with me.

"half empty" Diane . . .I don't want dengue anymore than anyone else does, smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

IMHO the World Health Organization is playing with fire again.
They will be the cause of death for most of the planets human population but hea, its overcrowded anyway!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
OP Offline
Agree that we're over-populated by half, but would settle for voluntary one-child families for a century or so instead of the former solutions of war, famine, disease, toxic poisoning ......

I pledge to do my part and not contribute to population growth smile

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Originally Posted by tacogirl

i would like to help change your mind about that....

Dr Walkabout Buzzard

B
B
Originally Posted by tacogirl

It's OK to practice in case you change your opinion some day.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.