Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41540 06/29/01 02:22 AM
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
My daughter's friend who is going with us to AC wants to know how she can phone home to let mom and dad know she got there safe and sound. I think we need to buy a phone card, but where does one do that? I assume it needs to be bought on AC -- not here in the states? I'm a novice at this... never used a phone card in my life.

Thanks,
Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#41541 06/29/01 06:21 AM
C
cjd Offline
C
We were there last month and called home collect to Connecticut and a five minute call was about $18 via AT&T. To get AT&T I think you need to dial 811 then the area code and phone number. I dont think thats too bad a price for an international collect call. I've heard numerous horror stories about people calling from hotels in Mexico and getting billed for like $200 for a 3 minute call. As long as you get an ATT line, at least you know there's some level of regulation of cost. Do a search for past posts on this board. About 2 months ago there was a thread mentioning rates of like $.50/minute from Belize to the US. I dont know if thats for real though. My in-state rates in CT are more than that!

#41542 06/29/01 08:02 AM
I reccommend that if your calling back to the US that you use AT&T cards or sprint cards, it is the most economical. But if calling within Belize, get a BZE phone card from BTL. I know oyu can buy them at a few places, and I think the grocery store is one of them. I know the airport has them.

#41543 06/29/01 09:06 AM
Calling home to the US IS expensive!!! If your daughter's friends parents are on line or have access to a home computer, have her go by Coconuts Cyber Cafe and email a message home. It's only $5 BZ ($2.50 US) to log on for 15 minutes. More than enough time to "phone home". Have her set up her own Yahoo address (free) before you leave and she can check in daily, and get messages back from her family. I kept in contact with my kids every two days, and it was neat to go into Yahoo and get little messages from them. Put my mind at ease and it was FUN!!! They enjoyed it too!
Debbie

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.